Cool Tubes

I run an air cooled 2.5metre long 3 fitting shade/reflector currently with 2 x 600w HPS in it and it produces excellant results. I run the light very close without burn or damage and have to lift it every single day, the growth is just so fast. I am about to get another 600w HPS ballast and a couple more globes to run 3 x 600w HPS in it.

Don't knock it unless you have tried it - then you won't any way because you will learn what such a brilliant thing it is :)

Don't be scared give it a go :doh:

but explosion? pressurised gases? I fail to see how any kind of a pressure build up could occur in a cool tube. even if your fans fail you still have an open path for the air to escape at each end.

Dude, look at what's inside the cooltube. If your cooltube isn't of a large enough diamater, and your fans failed, you've now encased a high pressure sodium globe inside a very small, insulated box. High Pressure Sodium. I don't know about you, but if I would want only the very best heat-resistent glass and of a very large diamater so at least some of the heat might be lost through convection just in fucking case...

G'day Folks lol

I just purchased a 150mm cooltube the other day for $120AUD at my local store. I plan on running a 600w set up on a Jupiter 2 light mover, once i'm ready.

The one i got looks similar to the one pictured on this site hollandforge.com.au (on the left hand side of page, click on "Reflectors" and scroll down). Maybe if you contacted them, they might be able to point you in the right direction of store near your location, that they supply to seeing they're wholesale only.

Just thought i'd mention it, seeing i didn't notice it mentioned anywhere. :whistle:

Edited by Indycar

Indycar, thats abit expensive and only 400mm long lol theres two things that could make these cool tubes better #1 they need to be hung by all 4 hooks as the manufacturer compensated for the weight of the bulb so if hung by only two hooks the bulb will be on an angle and not strait inline with the tube #2 they need another 10-20mm on the duct joiners IMO with mine i need to remove the bolts/hooks slide the ducting on than screw the mounting hooks thru the ducting into the duct joiners

No worries, each to their own. I just bunged that info up if others just wanna go out and purchase it and save them the trouble of hunting around for glass tubing and such to make their own. For what i've seen of other enclosed reflectors, pricewise mine was'nt too bad, it was an extra $20. I've been researching all types of info on cooltubes for the last month or so. To be honest, after all the research, i came to the conclusion it was cheaper and more practical just to go out and buy one.

I'm not quite sure that the cooltube i have will suffer from any of the faults that you have mentioned as the bulb socket mount is made if 1/8" steel bent to a right angle that i've already adjusted to keep the bulb horizontal, and the ends where i'm to join the ducting has plenty of meat to fasten it properly.

Here's a picture of the stuff i have so far...

there all the same weather from holland forge,HAP or ebay urs looks longer than 400mm i wasnt talking about make them but mine do look like the dudes were stoned when drilling the holes to mount the cool tubes they left me no room for the ducting i can see why urs cost $120 u got a shade with it i should be hooking my two up this week sometime lol Edited by Gazza2001au

it pays to read the threads TT :applause:

G'day Folks

I just purchased a 150mm cooltube the other day for $120AUD at my local store. I plan on running a 600w set up on a Jupiter 2 light mover, once i'm ready.

The one i got looks similar to the one pictured on this site hollandforge.com.au (on the left hand side of page, click on "Reflectors" and scroll down). Maybe if you contacted them, they might be able to point you in the right direction of store near your location, that they supply to seeing they're wholesale only.

Just thought i'd mention it, seeing i didn't notice it mentioned anywhere.