Cool Tubes

Guest niall

What diamater are bake-a-round though? 150mm was to cover both MH and large HPS lamps, if you've got a skinny HPS you could get away with a smaller diamater tube.

And fuck me those prices I quoted above were for 2 lengths of 150mm tubing, sorry about that - so halve all of those figures.

post-4855-1153217646_thumb.jpgpost-4855-1153217663_thumb.jpgpost-4855-1153217679_thumb.jpg[at

tachment=15459:attachment]post-4855-1153217716_thumb.jpgpost-4855-1153217730_thumb.jpgHow to make a cool tube..................

I'll post a full tutorial tomorrow with pics step by step. (takes a little time to compile)

Here's pics of the existing and the one I put together today.

Also my variable filter system.

More pice and a full explanation in tutorial tomorrow.

post-4855-1153217696_thumb.jpg

What size tubes do you guys need, I'm thinking of ordering in some 40-50mm diamater pyrex of about 4-7mm thickness. Meerkat might be able to make some up too. I guess you'd be after 60-90mm? Just HPS right?

I've tried getting 100-150mm in Australia and the only way to get any decent glass tubing is from chemical lab suppliers and it is only available in 1 metre mimimum lengths and is very exspensive. And I dare you to get it to your door - unbroken !

Good luck - I have already looked at a commercial venture of building cool tubes here for the Aussie market.

All I can say is good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Guest niall
It's not all that expensive actually, in another thread I posted that Schott boro tubes of 150mm diamater, 5mm thickness, 1.5m length costs $215. They come in boxes of 2, so you're looking at $430 plus shipping to make about 10 tubes of 30cm. That works out to $43 per cooltube, plus shipping and lampworking to cut them to size, plus annealing in a kiln. It sounds like there's a definite market for this, if I had my torch already I'd be making them now believe me. It's not a bad excuse to get a cheap torch actually, just have to rent kiln space... Hmmm :thumbsup: