Cool Tubes

Individual shops may have them, but the wholesaler is out for the next 3 weeks or so....

Keep in mind racingsnake that the surface temp of a HID lamp is pretty damn hot.... Have a fire extinguisher handy IMHO. But I'll be interested to see how you go mate.

What size and lps is the fan you have for these tubes and how many watts will be in there?

Interesting thread, I started out wanting a cool tube when I first started reading, but now I am worried

about the odour that will probably escape with the hot air from the tube. Is anyone having problems

with odour?

aussie1

ya not supposed to draw the air from with in ya grow room. draw air from outside and vent it to outside so there will be no odor at all.

actually i dont think cooltubes© are tempered..so could be just everyday glass..

anyone wanna check with a hammer?

hey WF when i first purchased my 4, i installed them and 20mins later i heard a crack. well one of the glass tubes cracked pretty bad. to be honest the glass doesnt seem to strong imo. well the retailed was happy to take it back and replace it. its now been almost 6 weeks and all 4 are running great with no cracks etc. im using 1000hps globes which generate a lot of heat, so if they can handle these globes they will handle 600's no probs.

hey torana when you said that you found a store that had them available - is that in vic? pm me which store if so

only thing i dont like about the cooltubes is they dont take the MH globes, ive even tried with a small jacket mh 1000 and it restricts the air flow too much. so have to use all HPS whereas i used to like to mix in MH for spectrum balance.

only thing i dont like about the cooltubes is they dont take the MH globes, ive even tried with a small jacket mh 1000 and it restricts the air flow too much. so have to use all HPS whereas i used to like to mix in MH for spectrum balance.
ive got some 250mh globes that are same dia. as what a hps is its not a round ish globe just straight, i guess you should be able to get em in 1000watt.

hey WF when i first purchased my 4, i installed them and 20mins later i heard a crack. well one of the glass tubes cracked pretty bad. to be honest the glass doesnt seem to strong imo. well the retailed was happy to take it back and replace it. its now been almost 6 weeks and all 4 are running great with no cracks etc. im using 1000hps globes which generate a lot of heat, so if they can handle these globes they will handle 600's no probs.

You probably got one which had a hairline fracture from bad handling. It can happen with lots of glass things, and sometimes metals too. It appears to be fine on inspection but strain can cause rapid acceleration of the damage.

1000w units would certainly warrant extra extraction from the room. 600's you can touch the glass... (it's hot, but you can hold a hand there) but 1000w is quite a bit. Still, you'd do well to have strong venting.

And yeah, the smell thing is one of the advantages. You can get a substantial proportion of heat from the room without having to run a large exhaust fan and filter. You still need a room exhaust though, and you still need a filter, but you don't need a huge one to do the same job.

MH 1000w come in small jacket versions, which are the same size as a 400w MH. It's still a large bulb, but it definitely fits in a 150mm cool tube. Running it may be a problem though, as keepleft seems to be seeing. I can certainly imagine that the flow would be significantly dropped. I think that some companies do make 1000w MH lamps in longer thinner jackets but you'd have to look out for em. I know that one company even makes a 1000w lamp which had both a 600w HPS and 400w MH elements inside - I think it's called Solarmax ONE or something. I don't know if you can get em in oz though, but that could be an option for you if the restriction on the flow is too high even with a small jacket 1000w.

Mind you keepleft, you could still run a 400w MH in a vertical shade above the cooltubes no? Or as a drop light between several plants? The heat would still be there, but it'll still run cooler than a room where all lamps weren't cooltubed. (is that a word?)