Best place to buy LEDs in Aus?

I'd like to ask any Aussie DIY ppl where the best place to buy Cree/BridgeLux/Golden Dragon chips. I want to play around and build my own LED panel. Good quality efficient led chips are expensive which is why good quality grow panels are so dam expensive.

I'm only a small user, just 1 of Hash Nibs "superbudz" would have me sorted for ages. I'm sure I could use CFL's for a very small grow but I love to fiddle. The thought of customizing the spectrum thru the use of variable drivers is soooo appealing to me that GPW is low on my priorities. 

Thank u to the LED skeptics. We do need to know the obvious differences between LED and HID and what to expect. But enough is enough sometimes. Lets try and keep things a little on topic. I read this topic to find out about suppliers that Australians have used and recommend. I've read plenty of "hid v led" and "is led any good" threads on plenty of sites. I'm aware of pros and cons and would still like to do some experimenting.

Ps. If I thought an HPS would work for me I would probably be using one

Peace

Edited by smike
  • Upvote 2

If you must, then:   http://www.cutter.com.au/index.php  may be Ok from what I heard...?

There are LED's that can be purchased with different spectrums to choose from.

I believe they sell power supplies as well as all the other stuff.

But with a small grow such as you appear to be interested in, I would think a couple or three  higher wattage CFL's might give the same result.

I had a so-called 180watt blackstar led array setup and it was Ok for about three weeks worth of smoke...BUT that took three months of growing.

Still,l it did work, I guess. It wasn't 180 watts though, it drew about 75 from memory and I was dissapointed.

HID,s blow them away for sure but with limited space it's worth a try and I hope you do well.

A Diary would be great.

Goodluck with your growing. :)

I would really like to see the peer reviewed article you were talking about that compares Cannabis grown under led and hps (if it exists) cheers.

Naycha :peace:

I'd love to take a look at a study like this too.

My feeling is it might lay this debate to rest for a while.

Saying that i have no doubt science will find a solution and in a few years we can all be rocking the LED's

Thank u to the LED skeptics. We do need to know the obvious differences between LED and HID and what to expect. But enough is enough sometimes. Lets try and keep things a little on topic

Ps. If I thought an HPS would work for me I would probably be using one

Peace

Well, until you get your fingers dirty and actually start growing basically you're talking out your arse... no offence :) that's reality.

Saying that i have no doubt science will find a solution and in a few years we can all be rocking the LED's

LED's will be shit for a long time to come, they just DO NOT have the luminous intensity. This is the reason NOBODY has posted ANYTHING about these bloody things compared to the THOUSANDS of HPS grows online.

Wishing they were better than HPS isn't going to make them work any better, ffs what is so hard to understand here?... honestly...

I guess this debate will never be laid to rest.

I was a huge subscriber to LED's when I was reading all about them.

But as I wrote previously the yield was pathetic although the pretty colours those LED's emitted were magnificent!

However, trying to tell/convince folk that LED's are not worth the trouble is much like trying to convince a Jehova's Witness that they are wrong.

Maybe like the time you were told "there is no Santa!"..It hurts terribly :)

There is only one way..Try it yourself. Don't wait for a "Study" You'll only believe your side.

Please do try it yourself.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was a stoners site, dudes really need to relax.

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now getting ideas and it seems there is a lot of rage going on about all kinds of topics.

Everybody's circumstances are different. Space, privacy, heat, unwelcome visitors etc all need to be taken into account - you can't just rage at someone for wanting to use LEDs because LEDs are really their only viable option. Would you want to likely burn your house down for an extra oz or 2?

Everything has their pros and cons, point those out in a calm manner, don't make everything so angry and personal.

Pros

They are fairly inexpensive

No ballast needed

Barely any heat generated - you could touch the glass after 20hrs on

Energy efficient

Cons

Smaller yield than HPS

Cant think of anything else :unknw:

Cheers :twiddle:

This thread is a bit of a shitfight and I am not meaning to open old wounds. I don't come on this site much anymore so am late to the thread.

I have been trying to decide for ages if I should go LED or not?

I came accross this thread on another site that definitely proves to me anyway that LEDs can compete with HPS. It is probably the most professional grow I have seen. See the results for yourselves (post 205):

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=195809&page=14

The weight comes in at 1 gram per watt (post 212).

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=195809&page=15

This seems to compare to what the grower is getting under 1000w HPS which according to my math is 1.18 per watt (based on 2.6 pounds per light assuming they are 1000w)? I am not sure how long each of these were vegged. Grams per watt means nothing unless you account for time as well (i.e how long did it take to produce). The only really meaningful way to compare the 2 is to grow identical clones under idenical conditions under seperate lights for the same period of time. Even then, many people are still learning about LED. For instance they seem to perform well at certain distances from the top of the plant. In other words there are many variables.

Edited by freddie

What most people want to see i think freddie is complete grows / diary's from average Joe.

Just about everyone on here is that . Just normal guys and girls looking to grow quality ganga for personal use . There are many many inspiring diary's on this site and just about every single one uses HPS  . I cant find any inspiring LED grows really . Some nice grows yes but nothing special .

When I can jump online and not have hunt for a great grow with leds from average joe i might look into it .

I am sure with the right panels , using  knowledge and growing experience  good results can be achieved . But most people starting out lack this and with the amount of cheap shit leds panels being sold most  with advertising spiels that just baffle you with bullshit, why would anyone fork out there hard earned bucks on em .

Its not that we all think leds are shit , just shit compared to HPS  lol 

HPS is a no brainier really because it works , no if's buts or maybes .

• Upvote 1