Best place to buy LEDs in Aus?

Sorta reminds me of the weed baron joke thread where he tried rigging up computer monitors with the screens set at different colours to get the colour temps ideal for the plants, classic.

Lots of lovely graphs there painman, but I notice you didn't put up a graph showing sunlight.

I ain't no scienctist, so don't know if this is right  post-49871-0-50640500-1406273691_thumb.jpg

How does that compare (serious question)?  Cause to my mind evolution would dictate that as close to this as possible would be what plants would perform best under.  Further to this, penetration has to be a massive factor in effectiveness of grow lights, and this is a failing of LEDs, and putting panels down the side of the grow isn't going to help get past the outer edges, you would have to dangle hundreds of small spherical panels down through the canopy.

Would still like to try a quality LED panel over a short SCROG one day to see the difference for myself though, just wish people would stop getting so fucking evangelical about them in the meantime.

How does that compare (serious question)?  Cause to my mind evolution would dictate that as close to this as possible would be what plants would perform best under.  Further to this, penetration has to be a massive factor in effectiveness of grow lights, and this is a failing of LEDs, and putting panels down the side of the grow isn't going to help get past the outer edges, you would have to dangle hundreds of small spherical panels down through the canopy.

Would still like to try a quality LED panel over a short SCROG one day to see the difference for myself though, just wish people would stop getting so fucking evangelical about them in the meantime.

Sounds like you are talking about 1W LED panels from 10 years ago....

Sounds like you are talking about 1W LED panels from 10 years ago....

LEDs have only been introduced into horticulture lighting in recent years 10 years ago LEDs weren't even herd of.

I'll rephrase that NASA knew 10 years or more because they developed LEDs for growing in space, but not the average joe.

Edited by haze420mist

Magenta

How many shades of black are there?

Gold star for Haze....

Magenta is the magic colour.

Shades of black... one - black. A shade is a pure hue with black added... so black with black added equals black. "Shades" of grey are actually tints of black and an innumerable number of those exist between white and black.

Thanks for that fascinating Google, Louise. lol

Ohhh a little back hander from ehle_fan... lol

Guess you just couldn't resist ripping him a new one huh. lol

No ripping or tearing at all, just correcting a factual error.

Edited by louise

LEDs have only been introduced into horticulture lighting in recent years 10 years ago LEDs weren't even herd of.

I'll rephrase that NASA knew 10 years or more because they developed LEDs for growing in space, but not the average joe.

It's probably closer to 5 years, dunno exactly.

In any case the individual diodes that started out at less than a watt each are now up to 300W, pretty crazy.

Most grow lights use 3 or 5W diodes which are more than capable of getting the job done.

I have 3 mars II 900w and a mars II 700w. Total draw is something like 1700watts in A 2m x 2m x 2.2m tent. I'm all about reinventing the wheel so i started out growing autoflowering strains too. Pretty cheap units, mine use 5wat LED diodes in restrospect i think panels with 3w would be more efficient.

For my first run of 5 plants i started out with 2 mars II 900w(900wat draw from the wall for both units), i added another one in towards the end. grew auto seeds auto pounders and dutch passion think different with a light cycle of 20 on 4 off, i got 25 ounces of some of the frostiest potent buds total from 5 plants. Used DWC and canna classic nutes. This was my first grow ever it was difficult to work out a gram per watt ratio because i started out with only 1 light running and as they grew turned on the second one and as they were flowering i bought another one...it was more than 0.5gpw though.

There's plenty of hate on LED's but mine grew fat sticky buds... A lot of bullshit out there about how LED's are more efficient than HID too...most of it really exageratted. like when you're talking about draw from the wall a 450watt led is not going to outperform a 1000watt hid. But if you took 1000watts of LED and grew side by side with 1000watts of HPS the LED is going to win hands down, watt for watt. My local hydro shop still has a bit of a snigger at me when i talk to them about my LED lighting...hard to argue with pictures of fat juicy buds though.

I am seriously considering these new phillips 315w LEC's as a replacement for my LED's though. Each of my LED's pulls 450 watts at the wall.

I have 3 mars II 900w and a mars II 700w. Total draw is something like 1700watts in A 2m x 2m x 2.2m tent. I'm all about reinventing the wheel so i started out growing autoflowering strains too. Pretty cheap units, mine use 5wat LED diodes in restrospect i think panels with 3w would be more efficient.

For my first run of 5 plants i started out with 2 mars II 900w(900wat draw from the wall for both units), i added another one in towards the end. grew auto seeds auto pounders and dutch passion think different with a light cycle of 20 on 4 off, i got 25 ounces of some of the frostiest potent buds total from 5 plants. Used DWC and canna classic nutes. This was my first grow ever it was difficult to work out a gram per watt ratio because i started out with only 1 light running and as they grew turned on the second one and as they were flowering i bought another one...it was more than 0.5gpw though.

There's plenty of hate on LED's but mine grew fat sticky buds... A lot of bullshit out there about how LED's are more efficient than HID too...most of it really exageratted. like when you're talking about draw from the wall a 450watt led is not going to outperform a 1000watt hid. But if you took 1000watts of LED and grew side by side with 1000watts of HPS the LED is going to win hands down, watt for watt. My local hydro shop still has a bit of a snigger at me when i talk to them about my LED lighting...hard to argue with pictures of fat juicy buds though.

I am seriously considering these new phillips 315w LEC's as a replacement for my LED's though. Each of my LED's pulls 450 watts at the wall.

26 off 1700 watts?   mate the norm for me is too pull 1 off a 600w hps, 2 x 600w =1200w for 32oz ....on average .

thats probably why your hydro guy sniggers at you, no one ever said they dont produce buds.

They just dont yeild the same watt for watt.

26 off 1700 watts?   mate the norm for me is too pull 1 off a 600w hps, 2 x 600w =1200w for 32oz ....on average .

thats probably why your hydro guy sniggers at you, no one ever said they dont produce buds.

They just dont yeild the same watt for watt.

I'm guessing you just skimmed over my post, or i wasn't very clear so i got a paper and pencil out to work it out for myself.

For the first 30 days i used 1 Mars II 900 (450w)                                                                Total watts used 270000

For the next 45 days i used 2 Mars II 900 (900w)(Jupiter 2 light mover)                             Total watts used 810000

For the last 15 days I used 3 Mars II 900 (1350w)(Jupiter 2 light mover)                            Total watts used 405000

Total watts used 1,485,000 

Divided by 20 hours per day 74250

Divided by 90 days total = 825.

So for the purpose of grams per watts, i used 825 watts of lighting power.

I harvested 700 grams ( 25 ounces ) from 825watts of LED = 0.84 grams per watt.

This was literally the first time I ever grew weed and I made many of the rookie mistakes I chopped the first plant on day 65 and got 4 ounces off it, I think the only plant that was really actually ready was the last one.

You say you average 16 ounces off 600w, 32 ounces off 1200w. I'm guessing you're probably an experienced grower and your gram per watt with those numbers is 0.74. I got 0.84 off LED's on my first every grow...with autoflowers...and many rookie errors.

This is when the plants were young bunched together and under 1 450w LED

post-32946-0-28349100-1408680575_thumb.jpg

A bit older under 2

post-32946-0-98563700-1408680925_thumb.jpg

And under 3

post-32946-0-81656000-1408681031_thumb.jpg

Watt for watt LED's will out yield HPS...people out there claim they're double or whatever its not true, but they are more efficient.

In saying that...My second grow under way now I went RDWC and added an extra mars II 700 (400w draw) I went with 4 plants, 3 NLxBB auto and a Med Gom 1.0 auto scrogged, no light mover... and i pretty much had 1 light above each plant from day 1, and my yield is gonna be shit. I dont even think i will get the same 25 ounces i got from the first grow, and the power usage is so much more this time. Autoflowers were fun...but the difference between the phenos from seed to seed is too much...i have 1 northern light x big bud that is almost done and tiny, and i have another that is massive and still stretching.

I have my sights set on some dr krippling incredible bulk seeds, starting a mother plant running 200watts in a 1.2x.6x1.5 veg tent, start a clone every 2 weeks so they spend 8 weeks in the veg tent and 8 weeks in the flower tent and by the end i should be able to clone and harvest a plant every fortnight. In theory... But im switching to soil too...coz u just cant do that with RDWC.

post-32946-0-93857000-1408680727_thumb.jpg