FIWH's adventures with lacto bacillus and fermented ferts

really taking some interesting stuff from this book. like for example, mycorrhiza are not going to be as important to cannabis plant as a healthy batch of beneficial bacteria are. basically mycorrhiza  take time to establish and flourish and the short life span of cannabis means it doesnt really get the full benefit of this. not saying they do nothing, they are still definitely going to be beneficial but for cannabis bacteria are going to be of the most use so i can tweak my compost mixes and mulch choices to make the most of that.

also the more i read the more i realise just how much a waste of time most hydroponic additives are. the ideas are right but rarely would they get a chance to do what they claim in the timespan or in the environment hydroponics creates

Edited by forgetiwashere
  • Upvote 3

I can hear your brain going crazy in the words you write as you are reading though the book FIWH

reading sort of the same stuff ( not in the book ) , mycorrhiza time factor & the no till reuse of soil & making sure there is always something growing in the pot , living mulch

using the mycorrhiza of one plant to colonise another & the exudates from that plant keeping the micro heard fed  while in transition from one grow to the next ,

add to that a top dressing with compost / castings & barley enzyme seed sprout tea to help with old root break down & nutrient cycling before going again 

I went out to the backyard and collected up some leaf mulch to cover my soil. This is a great source of fungus and bacteria along with a bunch of other living critters to build my ecosystem

post-46013-0-44585000-1437114151_thumb.jpg

I watered it down with some diluted lacto serum which will add a bunch of carbs and bacteria to feed all the good stuff in my soil and the leaf mulch.

Also check out the bokashi. Its breaking down nicely and there is a very nice layer of healthy white moulds growing too. This will add a lot of life to my garden when its ready

post-46013-0-14638500-1437114258_thumb.jpg

Edited by forgetiwashere
  • Upvote 1

i got impatient and decided to dig down into the bokashi to see what was up because i noticed it is now producing a lot of liquid. when i squish new stuff into it the liquid oozes up through my fingers. sounds really gross considering it is really just broken down plant matter but surprisingly i get no bad smell except a kind of sweet ferment smell and the whole thing gives off a clean sort of vibe so i have no problem digging around in it with my hands.

anyway i found its not breaking down some of the thicker parts of stem and stuff that went in and some of the other stuff that has gone in isnt breaking down as quick as i had hoped. i am guessing its because its winter and the cold temps are slowing it down. what i did notice though after digging in it and turning it over then squishing it all back down is just how much fungal growth has erupted in there. the whole top went from brown to white with fungus almost overnight. im not sure which fungus it is but i can tell just by smell that its nothing bad, just another healthy microorganism doing its thing to help me out. im stoked to see it in there it means when i add this stuff to my garden its really going to be adding a lot to the biology of my soil.

on that note the lasagne garden plants are taking off now, although i feel like they could be just a little healthier. i really wanted to boost the biology in that container so i have top dressed with some fresh castings which was full of worms so they can get in the soil and do their part. i am also brewing a compost tea using fresh castings, fresh soil from my veggie garden, some fresh forest soil, a good amount of rich forest humus from just underneath the leaf mulch layer and then some of the leaf mulch itself along with some straw mulch from the veggie garden. its brewing up nicely with a nice healthy foam.