FIWH's adventures with lacto bacillus and fermented ferts

EM-1 Foliar Fertilizer Enhancement for Superior Foliar Feeding

Research has demonstrated that applying nutrients through their leaves is a great way to increase micronutrients in plants to supplement deficiencies in the soil. At certain times of

the day the stoma are open. As a rule of thumb, it is best to do foliar feeding in the early evening as the sun is going down. Savvy farmers know this and take advantage of it,

applying foliar fertilizers at a light dilution to give a boost to their plants’ foliar feeds. Check the brix of your plants the following morning and compare. The plants that were foliar fed

will have a higher brix. The higher the brix, the more sugar your plants have in them. EM•1® Microbial Inoculant can be applied the same way and mixed with plant nutrients for enhanced

foliar fertilization. The byproducts of the beneficial bacteria populations in EM•1® include antioxidants, bioflavinoids, vitamins, and other micronutrients that support plant health. 

EM•1® Effective Microorganisms® for Enhanced Natural & Organic Greenhouse Horticulture

Greenhouses are intensive growing environments that can extend the growing season and increase crop yields. Plants in greenhouses may also experience stress due to heat and soil drying out. EM•1® supports greenhouse environments in several key ways:

• Grows and supports high quality greenhouse crops, potted plants, and seedlings.
  • Enhances greenhouse horticulture and floriculture naturally by quickly establishing a beneficial micro-ecology that promotes extremely stable growing conditions and safeguards against common stress-related problems, such as over watering.
  • Maintains organic greenhouse standards and is approved for use without restrictions on Certified Organic operations (OMRI Listed).
  • Enhances greenhouse fertilizer and helps maintain plant health with antioxidants (vitamins and trace minerals), enzymes, and organic acids.
  • Help reduce problems associated with soils drying out and being re-hydrated due to improved soil texture and structure.

Edited by itchybromusic

Just a note on making your own lacto & for people who don't want to go to the trouble of getting your rice wash ect

although the results seem to be better with your own home made than buying off the shelf , here is an option

Eco Culture :http://www.eco-organics.com.au/household-systems.htm  slide down the page to see Eco Culture

You can use it as it comes strait out of the bottle or extend it to make it a better product microbe wise , essentially more microbes than what are already in the EC 

to give you an idea of extension of a 1 litre bottle of Eco Culture from the manufacturers rec's 

Mix 1 part EC lets call that 20ml

10 parts molasses = 200ml

80 parts clean water = 1600mm

extension takes 4 to 7 days depending on temp 

& you do require a PH meter , solution is ready once PH is below 3.7

So 20ml of EC can be extended to around 1800ml that you can use at around 4ml per litre in the garden

spray ya rubbish bin with it or anything else that gets a bit smelly around the house , can use to mop floors,

kick start your compost bin , ect ect ect   

down side to this i think so far , you have 6mths to use a 1lt bottle of EC before it's lost it's shelf life , manufacturer rec's

& you have somewhere between 1 & 4 weeks to use the made extension, manufacturer rec's

in both cases you need to use it sooner rather than later which doesn't seem to be the case with a home made lacto

post-50689-0-30074200-1436257179_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-14102900-1436257197_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-42187300-1436257214_thumb.jpg

post-50689-0-79437300-1436257230_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-73622100-1436257248_thumb.jpg

The heat matt ( Dogs Electric Blanket ) helps with keeping the temps between 25 -30c = 4days to get to PH3.7

The brewers container not essential cos you can make your own out of any air tight container/bottle ,

short bit of hose ( drilled though the lid ) & in to a glass of water , to let air out but not in 

I used rapadura sugar cos i had it but either one works fine , prob easier to work with a liquid 

Well FIWH i think we are the only 2 looking at this stuff , so if you can't be stuffed do'in ya rice wash 

this works well , 

Cheers Mate

• Upvote 1

lol itchy i noticed it was just us a while back but i dont care. its good bouncing stuff off you and also seeing the great ideas and info your bringing too.

plus maybe one day someone else will come along and find this thread helpful.

man i have about 10l of lacto serum left. i wont need to make anymore for a long time. plus im pretty sure i can just use my lacto serum to seed a whole new batch of lacto serum.

what i really need to do next is make my BIM innoculant. just been too lazy

• Upvote 1

what i really need to do next is make my BIM innoculant. just been too lazy

I like the unconventional farmers BIM recipe

hey if you happen to know anyone going to the snow 

see if you can get someone to dig up a bit of soil & bring it home 

supposedly the microbes are bigger & stronger for one of a better 

description , in them there hills ! 

I just want to get a few local samples. Bushland near my house. Veggie garden up the back. Down near the creek. I reckon that should get me sorted. Veggie garden should be pretty diverse as i have prepped it with bacillus varieties before as well as cobra bennies and another brand of bennies which i cant remember. Not to mention different manures etc along with the local top soil.

sweet

my understanding is that you won't find much of the lacto you spray because ultimately they become food for the regulars

i've heard it described as , you spray lacto that gets the regulars act together then ,

eat me mother fuckers & don't make me make my buddies come back again to sort you blokes out !     :thumbsup:

Hope it's ok to post this here fiwh , but thought it was the best place

Uni Of Hawaii   

College Of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources , 

Natural Farming: Fermented Plant Juice

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/SA-7.pdf

How to Pics here http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/BIO-9.pdf

Top post +++1

Are you going to grow your own mycorrhiza your ecto and endo in bulk also?

Hey chop 

BIM beneficial indigenous microorganisms is what you are collecting based on plants & environment , so where you collect your BIM from, you could be collecting ecto or endo

but without lab testing you really don't know , but yes it's possible ,  the important thing is to keep an eye on the white hyphae that is using your par boiled rice as a food source 

If you see any black , green or red hyphae , bin it & start again , those colours are bad , some colours are good some bad so stick with white hyphae collecting

This is a pic i just took of the worm farm , put some Neem Cake / Meal with the blended food scrapes , check out the mohawk hyphae sticking out of the cover

post-50689-0-45956500-1436585456_thumb.jpg

Not collecting anything here , well not directly , just the worm farm doing it's thing , but that's the white hyphae your looking for 

It's about collecting organisms in your own backyard , these organisms already have a relationship , already speak each other lingo apposed to lab grown organism that has

to find it's way pretty quick in your soil or become food for the locals, using nitrogen fixing cover crops in your system for one of a few reasons is the nitrogen fixing bacteria 

that come with it, that will take up residents in your pot , not to mention the living mulch part of a cover crop, keeping in mind , if you went out to an old growth forest you would

not see any bare soil , it's covered by growth or leaf mould / mulch , this keeps the soil moist & all the roots & micro life very happy , so my thinking with watering plants with a wet

dry period i feel no longer correct , looking more now at a constant moisture which cover cropping / mulching helps with 

the starting point i think is your soil & making your own compost & castings , this will be your first inoculant to your system 

This is from a beginner at probiotic growing Chop so i encourage you , if your in to it , to do as much research as poss & don't just take my word as gospel 

Cheers Mate

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1