FIWH's adventures with lacto bacillus and fermented ferts

Yep, and it really isn't that hard to get it set up.

I've made a 3 bay composting section at home, out of free old wooden pallets, can produce well over 1m2 every few months out of scrap products.

The hardest thing is getting ratio of carbon to nitrogen right, and even then you don't need to be perfect at all.

We make ours in big mounds up the driveway.. here's the pumpkins with our own compost http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/05/780ab52bf1aac98ba68510df64f181da.jpg

Not Mucken round there Ryan , good stuff

Just thought i'd put up a pic of what i saw at lights on today

This is Sweet Seeds Cream 47 post-50689-0-02418800-1438765836_thumb.jpg

& this a Southern Star Schooly D post-50689-0-09862600-1438765926_thumb.jpg  Mutant Blueberry Headband in the back ground 

But this is what caught my eye today all over the outside of the geopots post-50689-0-09278300-1438766149_thumb.jpg post-50689-0-22961300-1438766124_thumb.jpg

to say i was a little freaked out would be an under statement , but after a couple of deep breaths I had a closer look

Now i'm not saying i know exactly what they are but pretty sure there a soil mite, which for those that have a compost or worm bin might recognise

slower moving tiny white buggers , they are decomposers http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/soil-mites-info.htm

So if you plan to go the rout of trying to use the soil food web as your basis for your growing these are the things you can expect to see along with

worms in your pot when using home made compost / castings , first line of indigenous inoculation, home made compost , home made lacto serum (LAB) ect

Once again I'm still a little nervous about seeing these things & will be for days to come as I'm sticking to my schedule & doing nothing to disturb 

the soil mites , YET ! , taking a bit of a risk hear only because of lack of knowledge but I'm seeing no flyers anywhere so I'm ruling out gnats because 

to see that many moving white spots on the sides of the pot & not see any flying about the place , helps to make me a little confident & the plants look as good as yesterday

but will see what tomorrow brings ,

also might try a tip to check for fungus gnat larvae , slice a 1/4 off a potato & lay it wet side down on the soil surface for 4 or 5 hrs then have a look 

the fungus gnat larvae will be attracted to the potato & should be stuck all over it if you have them in your soil   

Cheers 

Y'al

Edited by itchybromusic

Not Mucken round there Ryan , good stuff

Just thought i'd put up a pic of what i saw at lights on today

This is Sweet Seeds Cream 47 attachicon.gif014.JPG

& this a Southern Star Schooly D attachicon.gif017.JPG Mutant Blueberry Headband in the back ground

But this is what caught my eye today all over the outside of the geopots attachicon.gif009.JPG attachicon.gif008.JPG

to say i was a little freaked out would be an under statement , but after a couple of deep breaths I had a closer look

Now i'm not saying i know exactly what they are but pretty sure there a soil mite, which for those that have a compost or worm bin might recognise

slower moving tiny white buggers , they are decomposers http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/soil-mites-info.htm

So if you plan to go the rout of trying to use the soil food web as your basis for your growing these are the things you can expect to see along with

worms in your pot when using home made compost / castings , first line of indigenous inoculation, home made compost , home made lacto serum (LAB) ect

Once again I'm still a little nervous about seeing these things & will be for days to come as I'm sticking to my schedule & doing nothing to disturb

the soil mites , YET ! , taking a bit of a risk hear only because of lack of knowledge but I'm seeing no flyers anywhere so I'm ruling out gnats because

to see that many moving white spots on the sides of the pot & not see any flying about the place , helps to make me a little confident & the plants look as good as yesterday

but will see what tomorrow brings ,

also might try a tip to check for fungus gnat larvae , slice a 1/4 off a potato & lay it wet side down on the soil surface for 4 or 5 hrs then have a look

the fungus gnat larvae will be attracted to the potato & should be stuck all over it if you have them in your soil

Cheers

Y'al

We have a crack mate but this is our main crop http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/05/cfbb35212ef44aad2c9860e73fd758ed.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Yep, and it really isn't that hard to get it set up.

I've made a 3 bay composting section at home, out of free old wooden pallets, can produce well over 1m2 every few months out of scrap products.

The hardest thing is getting ratio of carbon to nitrogen right, and even then you don't need to be perfect at all. 

do you mulch up your material before composting and what do you mainly use for brown material. green material i ca get in spades but the brown material im thinking will be harder to come by in my yard. maybe just straw?