FIWH's adventures with lacto bacillus and fermented ferts

Hello everyone,

i am adventuring out into some more organic gardening my main focus will be on Microorganisms and making them work for me and my garden. i will be learning all of this as i go so please if you see any mistakes please feel free to point them out or correct them.

i am brewing a lacto bacillus serum which will be the workhorse of my current project.

the lacto serum will be used to make bokashi compost, which will in turn be used to make a bokashi/vermicompost. this vermikashi will be added to coco as a substrate.

the lacto serum will also be used to brew a fermented fish hydrsylate fertiliser which will be combined with a plant based fermented tea using alfalfa and other sprouts, any green waste from my gardens and the kitchen. this will be the grow formula for my feeds.

during stretch i will be adding some calphos which will be made from eggshells and bones and any other seafood shells etc i have on hand (sounds like a good excuse to eat more crab and lobster)

the bloom fert will be based on fruits and vegetables mainly as these contain all the good stuff plants use to make the fruits.

The main focus of this whole project however will be developing a very healthy root zone through the use of microorganisms. To this end i will also be making a BIM (biologically indigenous microorganisms) mixture. so basically i will be creating a sort of trap to trap and breed microorganisms which i will be placing outdoors in a few biologically diverse areas like the forest floor, grasslands, my veggie garden, beside creek beds etc. these different batches of microorganisms will all be combined and used to inoculate my substrate and composts etc.

this thread will probably start out fairly boring but hopefully should become quite interesting towards the end.

• Upvote 7

so this is step one to the lacto bacillus serum

just get some rice and stir in some warm dechlorinated water, mix until the water is milky, the water is now full of carbohydrates and is an excellent food source for microorganisms.

post-46013-0-04704600-1430983696_thumb.jpg

post-46013-0-11864700-1430984107_thumb.jpg

collect the water and sit aside in a loosely sealed or covered container, this will attract the lactobacillus out of the air and in a week or so. the mix will split into three layers and i will be ready for the next step

Edited by forgetiwashere
  • Upvote 4

Go for it mate, watching with interest , just starting out in the same field myself 

1st note i would make is on the bokashi compost 

the worms won't be to interested in it because of the acidity 

it needs to be composted normally before it hits the worm bin

they will eat it but it will take a bit of time before they'll touch it 

& to much bokashi composted food all at once is not a good thing

but if done slow , normal food & a bit of bokashi compost each

time you feed should work out ok   

also consider if the bokashi compost method kills any fruit & veg seeds in the process, i don't think it does  

but making your own castings & compost , EM-1 , BIM (beneficial indigenous microorganisms), no till & soil reuse 

is the way to go i reckon

you can make your normal compost better IMO by first heat composting to kill the seeds 

then finish off in the worm bin, which is easier said than done  

iTiC Grabbing some popcorn 

just a note , I assume your going to pop them but you could germinate them & make a nutrient tea 

to feed to your plants , full of lots of stuff , one of which , Cytokinins , which is also found in coconut water  

• Upvote 5

Thanks itchy. Yeah bokashi kills seeds. It ferments and that process killscseeds without heat.

Very interesting to hear about the worms. I thought worms would love it considering worms dont eat the scraps they actually eat the bacteria thats eating the scraps. I will look into that further thanks itchy

they eat it just not while it's acidic 

your right they do wait for the bacteria before they do eat

& bokashi does kill seeds , wasn't sure it did , cool

Have you seen Grokashi http://gro-kashi.com/ & if your a facebooker , which i'm not but thinking of joining just for 

the Probiotic Farmers Alliance Group , which is the grokashi guys, very cool stuff 

have a look at this vid https://youtu.be/djNR153DaZQ , grokashi guys again

5% beneficial 5% not beneficial & 90% will be beneficial or not depending who's in charge 

& the uni's banana trees that they have been feeding lacto for 15 years , what do you think they found in the soil 

after 15 years , plenty of lacto , right!

No customs mate & not pricey when you can make your own 

using lacto to ferment some items to inoculate say rice hulls

as your bokashi which you then use as aeration amendment

in your soil mix &/or top dress 

But your right though better to source local products or make your

own which is even better & sustainable

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

No customs mate & not pricey when you can make your own 

using lacto to ferment some items to inoculate say rice hulls

as your bokashi which you then use as aeration amendment

in your soil mix &/or top dress