phillips 315w LEC with D-Papillon reflector

Yeah that price was per light. 240v versions off ebay. Comes with an american ended plug which i tossed in the bin and used a computer monitor type cord. That was a few months back when the dollar was a little better...probably 750-800 now. Still a lot cheaper than a dpap locally.

As for vertical bulbs... I read it was better than horizontal somewhere... theres a thread on icmag that is loaded with the information behind it... i doubt the difference would be enough to actually  notice.

There is a difference in the colour put out by the sun systems. They thtow more red in the spectrum. They use a different ballast and lamp orientation. Either one can change the cri. I know they throw out more red than a dpap. Over on thcfarmer there is a thread that goes into more detail.

Im not saying sun systems arent as good for all i know they could be better. I have a friend using sun systems and he loves them so im assuming they are just as good as the dpap.

There is a difference in the colour put out by the sun systems. They thtow more red in the spectrum. They use a different ballast and lamp orientation. Either one can change the cri. I know they throw out more red than a dpap. Over on thcfarmer there is a thread that goes into more detail.

Im not saying sun systems arent as good for all i know they could be better. I have a friend using sun systems and he loves them so im assuming they are just as good as the dpap.

Hrmmm. I was under the impression that both lights were running the same Phillips ballast...though there are 3 or 4 different phillips ballasts in the family. I could be wrong of course. At the very least I think its safe to say they are both high quality units... When mine were delivered in a plain brown box, the actual sun system packaging box inside that even has some cool looking Made in Washington stickers with American flags on it and stuff.

As for more red from the sun system... I wasn't sure so I looked on the websites for both and the pics are below...the top one is from the dpap website the bottom one is from the sun system. Both info from 930 bulbs...They kinda look the same to me.

http://www.epapillon.com/images/greenpower315w.jpg

906200-04.jpg

Couple pics of them for comparison. Horizontal Vs Vertical. I'm sold on vertical, possibly because that's what I have. Pretty sure the difference would be so small it would be difficult to measure. The biggest factor that made me go with the Sun System was price. It was over $250 cheaper for me to have a Sun System delivered to my door from the US than it was to drive to my LHS and buy a Dpap. If I could buy a Dpap for even 50 or 100 more I would....but 250 is a lot...And I have 4 of them. Bit of a monopoly on supply down under really. But oh well, I dont mind supporting the little guy but I hate throwing money away.

906200-01.jpg      906200-02.jpg

http://www.epapillon.com/images/315whoek.jpg

yeah they will look the same because they are the same graph released by phillips for that lamp. but when you change the orientation by hanging vertical it can change the cri. same as running a different ballast can have a slight difference.

dont get me wrong im not saying theres anything wrong with the sun systems lights, just slight differences.

i will try and find the pic. you would swear the dpap is running the 4k lamp and the sun system is running the 3k lamp but the guy who took the pic swears they were both running the 4k lamp.

post-46013-0-36604800-1436696800_thumb.jpg

Edited by forgetiwashere

yeah they will look the same because they are the same graph released by phillips for that lamp. but when you change the orientation by hanging vertical it can change the cri. same as running a different ballast can have a slight difference.

dont get me wrong im not saying theres anything wrong with the sun systems lights, just slight differences.

i will try and find the pic. you would swear the dpap is running the 4k lamp and the sun system is running the 3k lamp but the guy who took the pic swears they were both running the 4k lamp.

Well there ya go, learn something new every day. Sun systems definately look a bit redder in that pic, but I'd say the predominant colour all round there is GREEEEEN. Awesome lights either one I'd be happy with.

BTW have you looked at replacement bulbs yet? I casually asked one of my local hydro shops and nearly choked when he said $200. I was considering switching a couple bulbs out to the 942/4k, there's some guys that swear by using those bulbs right through veg and flower.

Best price I've found on ebay was still gonna cost me like 140-150 posted from US.