phillips 315w LEC with D-Papillon reflector

Im not sure that a 715w grow has much bearing in what a 315w dpapillon LEC produces... unless it was 2 315 dpaps.. which doesnt add up. My limited understanding is that there has been an advance in metal halide technology and efficiency... represented by these digital ballast 315 dpaps. Unless im wrong and its all exactly the same metal halide technology thats been around for years. Its kind of confusing... for me anyway... I keep seeing spectacular results from 315 dpaps and meh results from other MH grows.

Hi John, would you say that is a good representation of what the light is capable of?

how did the grow go?. ..  id like to see some pics, if possible..

your yield works out at about .83 GPW, and i got .77 GPW using my dual spec 600w HPS, in a cooltube.

and of course strain, medium and about a million other factors weigh in , .. with that comparison ..

really keen to see the difference this light can make.. to the quality, cause it didnt make much more quantity.

Peace

vape4life

gram per watt can cause confusion and isnt really a reliable way to judge equipment because so much depends on the grower and other factors. For example I pulled 1.3g/watt in this thread and believe it or not I think I will excede that this round but that doesnt mean buying these lights will guarantee you a similar gpw. I mostly achieved that through scrogging

From this thread and further grows and reports from users since then...

This bulb simply produces the 1.95 umol that has become industry standard for good hps bulbs... but it is cmh.

In the umol it produces, it is still only equal to a good 400w HPS. .. but with cmh quality and a longer life.

Getting a cmh/mh to perform at 1.95 umol/w is the great achievement here I think.

Use this technology to make a 600W or 1000w bulb and then you would have something that would murder the hps market imo.

Peace.

gram per watt can cause confusion and isnt really a reliable way to judge equipment because so much depends on the grower and other factors. For example I pulled 1.3g/watt in this thread and believe it or not I think I will excede that this round but that doesnt mean buying these lights will guarantee you a similar gpw. I mostly achieved that through scrogging

this is true i did acknowledge the fact of the  many different factors, in my post..  just thought it would be interesting to hear how it went any way..

im doing a scrog run this time to test the same ideas, same strain, same light, same feed..but SCROG instead of SOG..

well done on the 1.3 gpw, ..  i hope to get there one day lol

cheers peace

vape4life

I think the reason some growers are getting bigger yields is not the light source or the funky ballast/reflector combo, it's the growing method. i.e, scrogs.

There's nothing special about these lights, GE and Phillips don't try to sell these lights with vague "improved yield" claims, what they do talk about is efficiency.

No offense but people need to get a clue and stop looking for the next product to improve their yields because for the most parts that just marketing BS.

• Upvote 1

You don't think there's a direct relationship between efficiency and yield? With a set power consumption target...I would think that whatever light provides the plant with usable light in the most electricity efficient manner would have to yield more... And i'm not talking about swapping a 600 hps for  a 315 lec and expecting bigger yield...Im talking watt for watt.

I don't know why people don't like to talk about gram per watt. To me its probably the most important number in growing...SA's electricity costs are some of, if not THE highest in the country....With only one electricity wholesaler...no competition.

There's no more important number than how many dollars of electricity it cost me to produce however many ounces of my bud.

SCROG and SOG aren't exactly new technology either are they? 

Everything I do in my grow room, from LST to scrogging to feeding to...everything, its all about that end goal of quality buds in my jars...hell I think most of the stuff we all do is about getting MORE of them in the jar at the end...

So whenever someone shows me that for the same electricity bill at the end of the quarter...i can grow more buds...by changing the light or changing to scrog or using different nutes or watering differently... I pay attention.

Though I do agree that most of the time marketing hype attracts my attention and then I go looking for real world results...

I started looking into the 315w dpaps coz my local hydro shop guy was saying his mate had put one over a plant with 3 other plans with 600w hps over them and the 315w dpap plant was bigger than the other 3... Maybe he was just talking shit but it definately made me go home and do some googling.

I think the reason some growers are getting bigger yields is not the light source or the funky ballast/reflector combo, it's the growing method. i.e, scrogs.

There's nothing special about these lights, GE and Phillips don't try to sell these lights with vague "improved yield" claims, what they do talk about is efficiency.

No offense but people need to get a clue and stop looking for the next product to improve their yields because for the most parts that just marketing BS.

couldnt have said it better myself.

• Upvote 1

You don't think there's a direct relationship between efficiency and yield? With a set power consumption target...I would think that whatever light provides the plant with usable light in the most electricity efficient manner would have to yield more... And i'm not talking about swapping a 600 hps for  a 315 lec and expecting bigger yield...Im talking watt for watt.

I don't know why people don't like to talk about gram per watt. To me its probably the most important number in growing...SA's electricity costs are some of, if not THE highest in the country....With only one electricity wholesaler...no competition.

There's no more important number than how many dollars of electricity it cost me to produce however many ounces of my bud.

SCROG and SOG aren't exactly new technology either are they? 

Everything I do in my grow room, from LST to scrogging to feeding to...everything, its all about that end goal of quality buds in my jars...hell I think most of the stuff we all do is about getting MORE of them in the jar at the end...

So whenever someone shows me that for the same electricity bill at the end of the quarter...i can grow more buds...by changing the light or changing to scrog or using different nutes or watering differently... I pay attention.

Though I do agree that most of the time marketing hype attracts my attention and then I go looking for real world results...

I started looking into the 315w dpaps coz my local hydro shop guy was saying his mate had put one over a plant with 3 other plans with 600w hps over them and the 315w dpap plant was bigger than the other 3... Maybe he was just talking shit but it definately made me go home and do some googling.

Your local hydro guy sounds like a good salesman, sounds like he was telling you exactly what you wanted to hear.

Your local hydro guy sounds like a good salesman, sounds like he was telling you exactly what you wanted to hear.

He doesn't even sell the Dpaps, technically he doesnt sell lights at all, he just likes to have a yarn and he knows i'm already thinking outside of the box using LED's... He's also the kind of bloke that would tell me to go up the road to the aircon wholesalers for my ducting at 1/4 the price.

It would be a pretty simple comparison for me to make.

I'm growing 1 plant per m2 in a scrog with a 450watt LED hanging above each.

If I bought a Dpap, and hung it above one of the plants and that plant yielded the same as the other 3 around it, or even more or the same or slightly less but danker buds.... then I will have shaved 100watts x hours per day x grow length off my bill at the end of the quarter...

Which is kind of important to me.

He doesn't even sell the Dpaps, technically he doesnt sell lights at all, he just likes to have a yarn and he knows i'm already thinking outside of the box using LED's... He's also the kind of bloke that would tell me to go up the road to the aircon wholesalers for my ducting at 1/4 the price.

It would be a pretty simple comparison for me to make.

I'm growing 1 plant per m2 in a scrog with a 450watt LED hanging above each.

If I bought a Dpap, and hung it above one of the plants and that plant yielded the same as the other 3 around it, or even more or the same or slightly less but danker buds.... then I will have shaved 100watts x hours per day x grow length off my bill at the end of the quarter...

Which is kind of important to me.

You have 1x 450W LED per 3x3ft area?

That's not a lot considering a 450W is the equivalent to a 250W HID. I'd be putting a 900W LED over each 3x3ft space for optimal results.