Bongs and Pipes and Stuff....

AA, I love those capped conepieces... you can get them from JV's in the city... Not too sure if they have the pipes by themselves, but I know I saw the conpieces which have that design and can be used in just about anything of the same diameter pipe. :(

I'm not too keen on the screens tho, I've found it bloody hard to smoke a pipe with one, although I must admit it was a cleaner experience. They don't last long either, and then there's the issue of are you really just smoking bud? And if the screen is oxidising, where's that going? Probably in your lungs I ended up deciding for myself, and so whilst I may have a couple in my stem/cone bag of tricks, I haven't used em for a looooong time. Still, whatever works really. :(

That vapour bowl is the same as the one I picked up for my honey oil... any and all tips in using these would be greatly appreciated mate. I've been using them by fitting it to my bong, (it's a large stem bong so it has to be reduced by using a grommet on the glass stem to fit in the larger one....) and then adding a drop or two of oil in the base... I then light up, but instead of putting the lighter straight to the bowl I've been holding it a few cm away from the tip of the flame... this gets it bubbling and smoking pretty quick... still, I'd love to know if what I'm doing is really vapourising or smoking, as it looks like smoke to me...

And is there any way to use these bowls with a heat gun like you've got? I mean, is that what you've been referring to when you describe the vriptech thingy? Sorry if I seem confused, I'm pretty tired at the mo... Anyway, are there relatively good, but cheap heat guns you can use for this purpose? And would it work with my vapour bowl/stem?

One more AA and I'll leave ya alone on the subject... How do you clean em? I'm having some interesting thoughts about how easily this little stem will break when I try and clean it, so any tips on that would be most welcome as well. Cheers buddy. :D

Look carefully for the answers you seek, young padawan :D

AA, I love those capped conepieces... you can get them from JV's in the city... Not too sure if they have the pipes by themselves, but I know I saw the conpieces which have that design and can be used in just about anything of the same diameter pipe. :(

I'm not too keen on the screens tho, I've found it bloody hard to smoke a pipe with one, although I must admit it was a cleaner experience. They don't last long either, and then there's the issue of are you really just smoking bud? And if the screen is oxidising, where's that going?  Probably in your lungs I ended up deciding for myself, and so whilst I may have a couple in my stem/cone bag of tricks, I haven't used em for a looooong time. Still, whatever works really. :(

Cool, they must be back in stock finally. They seemed to disappear for years, though I don't get into JVs all that often now. If you stick a regular collar on those pieces they're perfect to slot in a bonza/slider stem. What I really like about them is they restrict the flow of oxygen, so when you stop drawing on them they go out fairly quickly. Makes minimising smoke and waste a lot easier, especially if you're out and have to put it away suddenly. I can't smoke without screens, or at the very least a filter tip inside the stem near the mouthpiece. Then again I only smoke hash now, so it's mostly to keep the hash from disappearing into the stem. Like all equipment though, you've got to keep them clean. I'm only using once or twice a fortnight, but I clean them all regularly. I've tried lots of cleaners, and the best is.... below:

That vapour bowl is the same as the one I picked up for my honey oil... any and all tips in using these would be greatly appreciated mate. I've been using them by fitting it to my bong, (it's a large stem bong so it has to be reduced by using a grommet on the glass stem to fit in the larger one....) and then adding a drop or two of oil in the base... I then light up, but instead of putting the lighter straight to the bowl I've been holding it a few cm away from the tip of the flame... this gets it bubbling and smoking pretty quick... still, I'd love to know if what I'm doing is really vapourising or smoking, as it looks like smoke to me...

You're effectively vapourising, but at a very rapid rate! Your vapour will be extremely thick and potent, when you're vaping herb at <200^c it's a much slower process. Is it fairly harsh? And how long does a spot last you, in time and tokes?

And is there any way to use these bowls with a heat gun like you've got? I mean, is that what you've been referring to when you describe the vriptech thingy? Sorry if I seem confused, I'm pretty tired at the mo... Anyway, are there relatively good, but cheap heat guns you can use for this purpose? And would it work with my vapour bowl/stem?

Check out the first pic of mine earlier in the thread, collection.jpg or something. The vriptech setup consists of a regular bong and bowl basically, but with a reducer that fits snugly onto the bowl. The Steinel then sits in the reducer, blasting hot air through your bowl and into the bong as usual. The Steinel's nozzle is pretty large, probably 1" diamater, so you can imagine it needs a fairly wide and long reducer to keep it from contacting the bowl itself. Check out that first pic, the Vriptech is on the right, and also check out vriptech.com for closeups of the bowl/reducer thingy (VCB). It all makes sense when you see it in person, it's just a bit extraordinary so hard to really understand without a demonstration. Once you see it everything make sense in about 5 seconds though .

One more AA and I'll leave ya alone on the subject... How do you clean em? I'm having some interesting thoughts about how easily this little stem will break when I try and clean it, so any tips on that would be most welcome as well. Cheers buddy. :(

De-solv-it!

Fucking awesome stuff, I've tried so many different things and this is simply the best stuff. It's a natural, citrus based solvent - just spray in a bit and swish it around. Try to work it in with your fingers of a small brush if you can squeeze it into the intake. It sometimes takes a few goes, it turns tar and residual oils into that soapy ley kind of shit, so just give it a good rinse and rub afterwards. You can pick it up at Bunnings in the cleaning section. If you've got really nasty shit, leave it soaking overnight and give it a good scrub with a brush and pipecleaners. Once you've got your gear clean again it's hard to go back, I keep all my gear pretty spotless now - it just scares me to see nasty, discoloured tools rotting away in festering water :;):

Edited by australian_activist

Thanks for that AA...

I'll check out the cleaner, I've found a few diff methods to clean stems and pipes, but there's usually an element of raw scrubbing to it...

A spot lasts a little longer than a cone... I have to hold off pulling the pipe before it starts to smoke... then I pull slowly, whilst keeping the heat there, and I can make a bong last quite a while.

Bloody nice. But a bit of a hassle getting the h-oil to the bowl, as I extract into a tumbler glass, and have to transfer first to a pair of scissors to scrape from the glass, then to a toothpick/needle to drop into the bowl.

I usually just wipe a bit of oil onto a cone of leaf at the moment... not as good as if I added a drop to bud, but I haven't got any at the moment.

I'll have to check out this steinel/vriptech thing a bit more, like you said it's pretty hard to describe to someone... I'll let you know if I work it out...

Thanks again AA, always great to hear about the latest tech in vaping from ya. :(