List of Australian Organic NoTill Amendments and Components

yeah i put the cover up to protect from rain but a couple years back i had a left over clone 

very late in the season , pretty much the end of the season , basically i couldn't fit it indoor 

so i planted it in a bed outdoor , it was less than a foot tall & went into flower straight away 

i just left it , this was around end may , it got really cold & we had lots of rain , the plant went

completely black , the buds were a decent density but the whole time it never molded up 

i let it go till all triscombe heads had gone past the used by date , eventually pulled it & used

it as mulch but the whole time no mold , now it might have been resistant to mold but it made

me think about the plastic ag cover & if i needed to have it , i still have it , well i have new stuff

to go up at least & i will put it up , but is rain & high humidity the only reason we get mold ?

of cause there's bugs that shit in our buds that cause mold , forget bout them for a min 

& focus on the pathogen that causes mold , is this pathogen only a prob with high moisture levels 

or is there something we do or the way we grow that encourages this pathogen to thrive ?  

interesting itchy ... knock on wood ... i haven't had mold problems with canna plants. have lived in too many hot and humid places over the years and have experienced a wonderful and exciting array of mold of every colour imaginable in every place you can think of - shit stuff. reckon in some of the places, it was so bad that you could watch it grow. in all of them though ... it seemed to get started when the moisture in the air stayed at 90% or higher for over a week or so (day and night). once in though ... it pretty much stayed until the dry season came around. i've encountered mold growing in a house that had great air-flow too - it might have had something to do with the sheer number of spores around. in humid shitty weather,  powdery mildew grows on everything too ... especially cucumbers for some reason. as to your plant ... now that is interesting mate ...

like you said, there are varieties that can tolerate mold well, which means that these strains have something in them or ability to overcome mold spores that other varieties don't. for me, it would also make sense that a plant is strongest and healthiest when closest to nature - when nutrients are being supplied through the soil at the desired and necessary level and a harmony exists between the plant and beneficial organisms in healthy soil. as long as this soil web stays in harmony, there is a good chance the plant can fight most things. if however the soil is incorrectly amended, overwatered, underwatered, too hot, too cold or impacted by other environmentals ... then i think the balance between bacteria and fungi would be affected negatively and would make a plant less able to combat mold.

i think also that dense buds and leaves could make for more of a problem in a weaker plant. due to the inability to get fresh air or dry out after a rain or high humidity, it could provide a place for fungi to set in. in a healthy plant, chances are that this 'incubation' period would not be long enough for mold to set in or at least the healthy plant could keep it at bay, until helped by a change in micro-climate to drier weather. in a plant that does not have access to beneficial bacteria or micro-organisms that fight fungi ... i don't know how it would be able to fight off mold long enough, until better weather helped it. basically ... i'm fucked if i know how hydro plants fight mold. :)

when the soil is dialed in, i feel that a canna plant has the ability to overcome mold for an extended period of time - maybe for longer than the time needed for mold to set in. when added with ipm, the plant's ability to resist bugs, mold and other negatives ... gets even longer.

just a question ... did you spray the 'clone that could' (it must have been quite a sight in black) or did it resist mold without neem foliar goodness? also, looking at your set up, i reckon you would get cross breezes from every direction, which makes a positive difference in air flow volume and speed. i reckon your spot on that airflow is not the main preventer of mold ... it is just better than stillness with high humidity. if there are enough spores in the air, the amount of airflow won't prevent mold from taking hold. think that i might have to read a bit more of reinhard delp... he did a lot of work with canna and mold - dutch style.

ahhh ... just thought of another thing which would also support the idea that mold might be caused by more than high humidity levels and shitty airflow. i dry my buds at around 70% humidity with no direct airflow ... i then cure at around 70-75 ... but can be as high as 78% ... i stuck a humidity datalogger in a couple of my curing jars a month or so ago (one around 8 months old and the other over a year ... both are still above 70% ... no mold. :) i use these jars ... love them ...

http://www.miron-glas.com/en/product-groups/8-Apothecary-bottles

there test might also shed some light ... hehehe ... on mold:

http://www.miron-glas.com/en/Storage-test-with-tomatoes

http://www.miron-glas.com/en/Storage-test-with-chives

gotta love the dutch ... functional beauty everywhere to be seen. :)

Edited by pug1010

thought i'd better double check a few things as haven't read teeming with microbes for donkeys .... i noticed that jeff lowenfells mentions the ability of bacteria to fight other fungi. mind you, a lot of his meaning is lost with me, as i start to drift after a couple of pages, so there's a good chance i missed what he was saying.:)

____

Soil bacteria produce many of the medicinal antibiotics upon which we have come to depend. One can only speculate that since these bacteria have to compete not only with other bacteria for nutrients but also fungi and other organisms, they evolved protective capabilities. For example, Pseudomonas bacteria can correct take-all, a disastrous fungal wheat disease, by producing phenazines, very strong, broad-spectrum antibiotics.

___

I'd say watching the mold grow is a problem with plants.

You watched the mold but it wasn't your plant?

Can you say that a small lapse here and there is always detremintal to the plant?

Sometimes the best stuff comes out when stressed they say?

Won't the plant have natural defence in the plant anyway even if no microbiology in the soil.

The plant has survived really the last 30years of predominantly hydro growing before this latest soil revolution, survived and with some countries now legalised it's out the other end thriving.

The Dutch are world leaders in hydro growing. Sure they may be pumping chems in but I have seen plenty killer plants grown in a non soil medium with no problems.

Environment is the number 1 factor in my opinion, in any medium.

• Upvote 1

Why not get your plant all going mega, raise humidity as much as you can, start spraying the buds with water to simulate rain and record how long it takes to develop mold?

That would be some good info to have.

I wouldnt class any of my plants as dialled in as I missed the 4pm watering 3 weeks ago.

I'd say watching the mold grow is a problem with plants.

You watched the mold but it wasn't your plant?

Can you say that a small lapse here and there is always detremintal to the plant?

Sometimes the best stuff comes out when stressed they say?

Won't the plant have natural defence in the plant anyway even if no microbiology in the soil.

The plant has survived really the last 30years of predominantly hydro growing before this latest soil revolution, survived and with some countries now legalised it's out the other end thriving.

The Dutch are world leaders in hydro growing. Sure they may be pumping chems in but I have seen plenty killer plants grown in a non soil medium with no problems.

Environment is the number 1 factor in my opinion, in any medium.

fuck carb  ... way to much aggression for me tonight ... have a happy smoke mate and talk soon

• Upvote 1

thought i'd better double check a few things as haven't read teeming with microbes for donkeys .... i noticed that jeff lowenfells mentions the ability of bacteria to fight other fungi. mind you, a lot of his meaning is lost with me, as i start to drift after a couple of pages, so there's a good chance i missed what he was saying.:)

____

Soil bacteria produce many of the medicinal antibiotics upon which we have come to depend. One can only speculate that since these bacteria have to compete not only with other bacteria for nutrients but also fungi and other organisms, they evolved protective capabilities. For example, Pseudomonas bacteria can correct take-all, a disastrous fungal wheat disease, by producing phenazines, very strong, broad-spectrum antibiotics.

___

Hey pug

Have you read teaming with fungi?52dfa0b999df7d31419af4250f81f91e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hey pug 

no i did zero to that clone apart from transplanting & watering it which didn't need much that time of year , i might have a pic

somewhere's i can put up , i'll have a look 

one thing to remember is plants are in control , assuming all the microorganisms a plant requires are present 

the plant will attract a required organism to do it's thing , whatever that thing is , in return the plant will supply 

that organism with a food source , like most living things , when food is abundant organisms breed & protect there

food source / territory against invasion 

indoor & outdoor are very different operations , in hydro , not that i know to much about indoor hydro growing

but my understanding is , the grower " is " mother nature & grow more like outdoor synthetic mono cropping 

working on keeping a sterile environment indoors & controlling all aspects of the grow 

the no till , knf , probiotic / organic growers are basically cheating when compared to hydro , we're tying to let mother nature 

do the work , run her course & the food web beneficial's protect & feed our plants , at some point this plant we grow stated out working 

only with mother nature , they did pretty well together cos the relationship lasted to today but B4 that , lasted long enough 

for some human to find our fav plant growing & collect seed

mold is exactly what hundreds of growers over time can protest too , high humidity & lack of air flow causes mold 

but i pity the grower that gets caught up in " that's what everyone else reckons " mentality , i'd rather listen to what 

everyone else reckons but keep an open mind " everyone reckons " might have followed each other & be wrong or half wrong 

aka just always keep an open mind & don't just take what you've been told as gospel  

seeing pd's post bout teaming with fungi i watched this last night , Elaine Ingham @ the Regenerative Cannabis Conference https://youtu.be/tTAbNjEBJwo ,

might be just me but the mic holder guy gets a lill annoying but the info is good , kevin jodrey also spoke there https://youtu.be/j6Zq0vWnphQ

like the jars pug , how much did you pay for them & what size did you get , i have cheap 4lt clear glass jars that do ok if you keep them covered 

they were only a few bucks form one of those $2 shops  

now just to be clear i'm not saying humidity + no air doesn't cause mold , what i am saying is keep an open mind to other avenues of thought 

• Upvote 1

Great Idea Flowering ! Have been searching online to add with my lucerne hay and worm castings for other additives. This has saved me heaps ! Any idea on aloe vera 200, insect frass, silica, rock dusts and other suppliers which are easy/cheap source to deal with? Got plenty of Cockroach Poo here after our

L o n g HOT Summer !! Lair-iza