List of Australian Organic NoTill Amendments and Components

hey pdman ... some time ago mate. i really like his stuff. i have to be in the mood though, as it is dense reading for me - lots of biological terms. i used to bubble a few teas in the past, but am a bit lazy these days.:)

he does a few talks now on cannabis ... on youtube too. it's a bit easier for me, as he brings the technical level down so i can understand it better ... also he uses cannabis references, which always makes it more interesting for me. :)

which of his books has been the most helpful for you?

Teaming with microbes is great.i also have mycellium running.:how mushrooms can help save the world by Paul Stamets which I haven't read yet but he is a legend in the eukaryotic world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

wow itchy ... that plant looks amazing and is beautiful ... black leaves - never seen anything like it. when you said it had black leaves ... i thought it meant crusty, dying leaves - it looks healthy and happy. ahhh cannabis ... never ending happy surprises. :)

will watch those links later mate ... like them both heaps. :)

the jar individual prices weren't that dear ... only trouble ... they sell a minimum order (around 200 euro ... i think ... plus postage). also, you have to transfer money into a dutch account - that might have changed now. i ended up getting a fair few of the 1L and 2L jars - they both have good size openings and the lids are the same size. use them for everything ... cereal, nuts, rice and a few gifts. :) if i was ever to order again, i'd get some smaller stuff too. best thing about the 1l and 2l jars ... is that it is glass on glass - no seal, but still airtight. will check and see if anyone is selling them in oz ... without gouging.

not sure if 2L would be much use for you mate ... you might need a bit bigger, looking at your garden. :)

i do use bigger jars but only cos there cheap but would be nice to see if there was a diff 

with the el cheapo's kept covered or these jars no covered , plus would prefer glass to plastic 

how many 1lt & 2lt jars did you get for ya 200eur 

hey itchy ... do you brew compost teas or is this where the em1 comes in?

i found this in my notes from mountain organics ... of interest in this case is the mildew reference, especially as it is pretty bad in parts where they grow ...

______

years of foliar spraying this and that and the other thing has led me to a single application done once a week.

Per gal. Water:

1tbsp neem oil

1tsp potassium silicate

1/4tsp aloe Vera powder

sprayed once a week from rooted cutting until 2nd week of flowering. No foliars are done after that and through harvest.

no mildew, no flies, no mites, no thrips.....no pest concerns.

Full plant coverage on large plants can become time consuming, but its only a few applications once the plants are large and before they're flowering so its over quickly, and its worth it.

__

Here's an example of a watering schedule a couple or few years into established no-till gardens (it happens to be my current routine as well):

- Plain water every other day, beginning to end

- MBP top-dress every 10-12 days watered with aloe/fulvic/silica

- Kelp & neem top-dress at the beginning of the cycle, maybe once more in early flowering.

Yea, that's it! No teas are ever made. The days of needing a soluble 'quick fix' are long gone. The soil is extremely rich and the mulch and top-dress' we do apply are not for that moment but for the weeks and months to come

_____

i have brewed teas in the past & did again this year but only to try a Dr GT product 

otherwise i can be a lill lazy at times , plus i also feel cover cropping is doing a very similar thing 

when i have made them in the past i have added em-1 but only once the brew was ready & air was turned off 

cos em is a bunch of anaerobes not aerobes , they prefer lack of oxygen 

yep amazing what you can do when you try working with mother nature rather than trying sterile her out of existent's  

hey itchy:)

hoping you can help me this one ... it has to do with the feeling that although there is a common agreement about the soil food web, there seems to be a difference of opinion in regards to maintaining this relationship.

i have no problem with the concept of a plant knowing what it needs and getting these requirements (food/protection) through a symbiotic relationship with the microorganisms/organisms in the soil web. this makes sense to me, as it has similarities to the human body. i also have no worries acknowledging the intelligence behind these processes - some call it mother nature ... others more spiritual terms.

this is my idea of the process ... not saying it is correct ... just how i understand and picture it ...

i look at soil for plants to be a bit like food for people. the soil provides a place where nutrients are stored and accessed (among many other things), similar to food for humans. we try to provide our soils with healthy components, so that there are enough resources/nutrients for the microorganisms to utilise/convert for the plants needs - vermicompost, amendments, top dressing, mulches. similarly, we (hopefully) also try to provide the body with the healthiest food we can - usually by eating low-processed, nutrient dense food - free from toxins. for plants, microorganisms are the foundation of accessing, converting and distributing these nutrients/resources to the plant in a form that it can easily be used by the plant. in humans the microorganisms in the gut also provide a similar process with food. now this is where i can see a couple of differences (but it could just be my lack of understanding) between those that subscribe to compost teas (elaine ingrah and jeff lowenfels) and those that use amendment soaks (mountain organics) ...

for me ... the body and a plant, will try to find a balance or equilibrium, to maintain good health. in the case of microorganisms, one of the major balancing acts is that between bacteria and fungi or bacteria and yeast. when there is an imbalance, even something that was once considered good, can be detrimental to the health of humans/plants, because of an explosion in numbers. in the case of a body ... after taking anti-biotics ...the balance between gut flora is disturbed ... and the number of yeast (even if before it was considered beneficial), is now too high, causing yeast infections like candida in the gut and elsewhere to take hold. in order to overcome this imbalance, the numbers need to come down and a balance returned - normally through the control (of sugar, diary and starchy vegetables that 'feed' the yeast) and also through the replacement of microorganisms (in this case usually bacteria) that can 'fight' this fungi imbalance, mainly through probiotics. now this is where it gets interesting for me .... hopefully, i've got that round the right way. :)

there is now a choice ... if this imbalance is countered by the control of diet and use of probiotic rich whole foods like kimchi and saurkaut, is it more like the use of amendment soaks and use of cover crops and green manure? if instead probiotic supplements and tonics are used ... is this more like the use of compost teas - that is, an intense and powerful remedy?

for me, i am attracted to the concept of allowing the plant and body to find its natural equilibrium. i think that once this occurs, the need for amendments or supplements (for the body) will be reduced heaps, as they are no longer needed. eating good nutrient dense food (like raw vegetables, nuts and fruit) will go a long way to maintaining good gut flora. don't get me wrong .. a bit of kimchi every now and then can't hurt. i would like to think that the same applies to healthy soil and plants ... top-dresses, mulch and very low-processed amendments, to maintain a balance - a bit of microbial action every now and again ... (like kimchi) would also help.

what i'm wondering though ... is it necessary to continually apply microbes to the soil, as in regular compost teas. is there a point where there are too many microbes and at best ... they don't do a lot extra for the plant/food web/soil health or at worst, can affect the balance and cause damage? most times in nature ... too much is not a good thing, as an imbalance occurs.

i like the knowledge bombs that jeff lowenfels and elaine ingham drop constantly - they know their stuff. it's just that i am more attracted to mountain organics system of not using compost teams and i think ... aiming for an equilibrium.

sorry mate ... long winded as usual ... any thoughts would be helpful?

Edited by pug1010

Teaming with microbes is great.i also have mycellium running.:how mushrooms can help save the world by Paul Stamets which I haven't read yet but he is a legend in the eukaryotic world.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

is that the fella who talked about using fungi to help with radiation in fukushima? anyone who is looking at real solutions for that continuing disaster is a champion in my books - they need all the help they can get. the eukaryotic world looks technical pdman - probably a bit beyond me. i might give it a go though, as it sounds like great stuff.

i've just got an opinion like you but i think pretty much the same 

prebiotics & probiotics are def useful , just gotta go back in time 

B4 electricity & fridges , they had to protect food & themselves

somehow , fermenting & utilising microbes where the way to go 

i think compost teas are just another tool you have at your disposal 

i don't think you need to use teas regularly , also think you can't have to many 

microbes , as long as there beneficial , i think as long as mother nature or whatever

you'd like to call it , is not compromised there will always be a natural balance 

& most likely no need to add to the soil biology

i've seen some synthetic growers try to work with biology in a synthetic system 

every time they use a synthetic feed the next thing they do is re-inoculate ( might be a flush in there 2 )

in organics you can do the same thing . if you start to see some issues , first port of call 

is re-inoculate , with indigenous mo's 

so yeah , there just tools , & as you can see on joshua steensland you tube 

his beds are in there 9th cycle , water only & no foliars no ipm , just what the lived in beds provide   

well that is indoor of cause , outdoor is def different , different almost every single year as a matter of fact :)  

• Upvote 1

Where is a good place to buy (not sure what its called?) the bubble maker to help oxygenate water to make compost/worm/ green teas ? For my garden ? Thanks

electromagnetic air pump on e bay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xelectromagnetic+.TRS0&_nkw=electromagnetic+air+pump&_sacat=0

& i put one of these together https://youtu.be/Ac29ZfvMjmo rather than using air stones to bubble the water https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50mm-2-Round-Air-Stone-for-Pond-or-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Pump-Multiple-Quantities/283204885150?var=&hash=item41f0539a9e&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVwEqt4hyXckmxnAXi%2B6Z%2FrkQezlqhb4RQG6uOy01xRMPC2xWFNQtene47M%2FiRzI0zzSp4CWCJkH6s7YYsY7tJlW1%2F6U6Rv8ioqT%2FdemYYKLxp0d2JCEaAlSQFq9U2OfY7ETb2t5fWs%2F9PUEq37JaKLanwNBETdroFGvL2S6fewsACwHLxrRgEpVrHv60lt6Buc%2F8zEJgAetx2%2BatzhmWbDKdgHDh15pImIB%2FRp8p7SjY93sAUHJovB4pNua%2BuTV8L2AzGGLahpJ%2FACVu98lCy3IqWjQ8zxDO%2BQOvGVuKPYM6FQ23iBEJjpeuDTew6nfcWqDK7o6jeRnmvBBaTSKyi2Si8sdSHSGr3rOr4YteZ3AvO10n3RJlCR0vNxm7rvF5WHOq2tR18Vn7167wwsmZPjfAZoOjkhZibxv9n%2BWyZ4Ss4BphUU%2BZDrxgoXiXkB9SKC6EROdZXvHgKtyuitGGF93%2FkMvekISwb%2BHrxiHwOrFsH2oHFxm%2FY4c2XkqZ6hnzcomIaBwJEft8IxpDZY72GbP5w2GJHYvx8X0i9%2FAtnMlTsyDhfhjZpktQf9PDwUKFz89L8QTlRwMDJQ4jAf2clFVqzNeADy3ZXjuRmNC29uu4Rxz3YaiL8IjU7k3bH1c5TrGfltC5irFmUUY5iIocdXLEx4XJo545r2HI%2FhMq6yfuLkPJlL7NeDGYCrOctPCUHtuSmkDBvS%2B4VEWJeym6bU%2BPXQ%2FXJhs7fLqpHTrUTUHFICvj3GX415r%2BM8ycHZ%2FlASq9rgCv3pMJRiKPRK7gJKtiVCd4j46GKXbrODYzqY1CDWlZek31FL8t01YTKsf5cjs0LZNlkDaogGFdHPH8QxfMvRSIAAq2vOxFkPkmzmqaaR0V06JzM0Lr9CbHwCLdm0UYdJqhyz4K8P7t55UDfEf9d44hx1TDooCATyb5wKSLppie%2F3F40nZtkPpBW%2Fu6L&checksum=283204885150cfadc35190f541c4954c1ad1df0fda06&frcectupt=true

the microbulator is much easier to keep clean which you need to do when multiplying living microbial's in teas  

so yeah , there just tools , & as you can see on joshua steensland you tube 

his beds are in there 9th cycle , water only & no foliars no ipm , just what the lived in beds provide   

well that is indoor of cause , outdoor is def different , different almost every single year as a matter of fact :)  

thx itchy ... nice to have someone to watch who has reached that level. :) also to have something to work towards.

it will interesting for me to see which ones i hold on to last ... going to be hard for me to let go of the neem foilar. i think the potassium silicate will be a little easier and maybe the fulvic. mind you ... indoors, the neem foliar is a pain in the dot. :)

electromagnetic air pump on e bay https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xelectromagnetic+.TRS0&_nkw=electromagnetic+air+pump&_sacat=0

& i put one of these together https://youtu.be/Ac29ZfvMjmo rather than using air stones to bubble the water https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50mm-2-Round-Air-Stone-for-Pond-or-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Pump-Multiple-Quantities/283204885150?var=&hash=item41f0539a9e&enc=AQADAAAC8FjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVwEqt4hyXckmxnAXi%2B6Z%2FrkQezlqhb4RQG6uOy01xRMPC2xWFNQtene47M%2FiRzI0zzSp4CWCJkH6s7YYsY7tJlW1%2F6U6Rv8ioqT%2FdemYYKLxp0d2JCEaAlSQFq9U2OfY7ETb2t5fWs%2F9PUEq37JaKLanwNBETdroFGvL2S6fewsACwHLxrRgEpVrHv60lt6Buc%2F8zEJgAetx2%2BatzhmWbDKdgHDh15pImIB%2FRp8p7SjY93sAUHJovB4pNua%2BuTV8L2AzGGLahpJ%2FACVu98lCy3IqWjQ8zxDO%2BQOvGVuKPYM6FQ23iBEJjpeuDTew6nfcWqDK7o6jeRnmvBBaTSKyi2Si8sdSHSGr3rOr4YteZ3AvO10n3RJlCR0vNxm7rvF5WHOq2tR18Vn7167wwsmZPjfAZoOjkhZibxv9n%2BWyZ4Ss4BphUU%2BZDrxgoXiXkB9SKC6EROdZXvHgKtyuitGGF93%2FkMvekISwb%2BHrxiHwOrFsH2oHFxm%2FY4c2XkqZ6hnzcomIaBwJEft8IxpDZY72GbP5w2GJHYvx8X0i9%2FAtnMlTsyDhfhjZpktQf9PDwUKFz89L8QTlRwMDJQ4jAf2clFVqzNeADy3ZXjuRmNC29uu4Rxz3YaiL8IjU7k3bH1c5TrGfltC5irFmUUY5iIocdXLEx4XJo545r2HI%2FhMq6yfuLkPJlL7NeDGYCrOctPCUHtuSmkDBvS%2B4VEWJeym6bU%2BPXQ%2FXJhs7fLqpHTrUTUHFICvj3GX415r%2BM8ycHZ%2FlASq9rgCv3pMJRiKPRK7gJKtiVCd4j46GKXbrODYzqY1CDWlZek31FL8t01YTKsf5cjs0LZNlkDaogGFdHPH8QxfMvRSIAAq2vOxFkPkmzmqaaR0V06JzM0Lr9CbHwCLdm0UYdJqhyz4K8P7t55UDfEf9d44hx1TDooCATyb5wKSLppie%2F3F40nZtkPpBW%2Fu6L&checksum=283204885150cfadc35190f541c4954c1ad1df0fda06&frcectupt=true

the microbulator is much easier to keep clean which you need to do when multiplying living microbial's in teas  

Thanks:  Itchybromusic, the help from you and this community is very much appreciated !

• Upvote 1