List of Australian Organic NoTill Amendments and Components

i think the only way to ensure safe crustacean/shrimp/crab meal in australia is to make your own. buy some safe prawns/crab ... dry them in sun ... away from the house in mosquito netting (to keep the flys away) and get a nice size hammer for the crab and good food processor for the prawn shells. smash and grind away until crushed into a small granule size. unless you're making a huge soil mix, you don't really use that much of this amendment.

the heavy metal analysis of the popular north american organic brands (both east and west coast) doesn't make for pretty reading. anything from the west coast is also going to be affected by fukushima, which is still spewing out it's shit into the pacific. many of the tidal pools up and down the west coast are sadly absent of marine life - this true devastation will eventually make its way into mainstream media ... probably after the olympics ... also be careful of northern hemisphere kelp products too ... australian bull kelp is a brown seaweed and will do the trick same as the Ascophyllum Nodosum.

although it won't show radiation levels ... i would strongly suggest anyone getting their marine inputs from nth america (and even the northern hemisphere) check the heavy metal content first at: https://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilizers/FertDB/Product1.aspx

sorry about getting on my soap box ... will get off now and put it away. :)

from cc ...

In the world of marine algae there are 3 groups - red, green and brown. Only brown contains the compounds that you need in your soil mix. Dr. Michael Guiry is one of the world's leading experts on marine algae. in this link to his page, he compares all 3 with the major compounds listed and you'll see immediately why you want brown kelp and not the other two: http://www.seaweed.ie/nutrition/index.php

• Upvote 1

3. Been reading bout overfeeding plants in organic soil with no symptoms like leaf edge burn. Is that lush green we all love to see maybe still a tad too much. I wonder?

funny you mentioned this carb, especially as i went on about rev's soil ... lmao.

first time this has happened ... after a watering of fulvic, pot. silicate and aloe over pmb, i noticed that the tips of a couple of bottom fan leaves had a bright greenish-yellow colour. i'm thinking that the soil no longer needs anywhere as much inputs. it's the fourth cycle for this batch of soil and i've noticed that it needs way less water. was nearly doubling the time in between kelp/neem and fulvic/pot sil. waterings, but keeping the input amounts the same. think i'm going to reduce the ratios by half and see what happens.:)

have you noticed or read anything similar?

• Upvote 2

def poss to over feed or over supply in organic growing once you get the nutrient cycle happening in the medium  

generally caused by what's in the mulch layer , kinda why i like a living mulch mostly , i still top dress though 

i guess it's possible but wouldn't have thought mbp , fulvic , p/silicate & aloe would cause it though pug 

what do you & carb reckon , there's N in lots of top dress amendments kelp , neem , plus alfalfa's triacontanol 

is a very powerful naturally occurring PGR if you use alfalfa/lucerne , i've def messed a plant right up with a to strong 

alfalfa seed sprout tea 

Edited by itchybromusic

def poss to over feed or over supply in organic growing once you get the nutrient cycle happening in the medium  

generally caused by what's in the mulch layer , kinda why i like a living mulch mostly , i still top dress though 

i guess it's possible but wouldn't have thought mbp , fulvic , p/silicate & aloe would cause it though pug 

what do you & carb reckon , there's N in lots of top dress amendments kelp , neem , plus alfalfa's triacontanol 

is a very powerful naturally occurring PGR if you use alfalfa/lucerne , i've def messed a plant right up with a to strong 

alfalfa seed sprout tea 

thx itchy ... the only other thing it could possibly be is the coriander and parsley stalks i cut up the day before - was a fair bit of them. they were organic (so shouldn't be any 'cides on them) and haven't had any issue before with them. will get a picture a bit later on, which might help.

• Upvote 1