It is my understanding that psychoactive compounds within cannabis must be washed with alcohol or another solvent, extracted into fat or taken to a particular high temp in order to "activate" any THC or other psychoactive compounds within the plant. Furthermmore, my anecdotal experience indicates that plants are most likely eaten while in a vegetative state (however, I would like to hear if others have different experiences), meaning the THC content is at its lowest and unklikely to have a mind altering effect, even if it is possible..

I know you guys were just having a laugh, but I feel this is a point that requires clarification. If I am mistaken in my belief, then please point me in the right direction..

>>>END QUOTE<<<

Just happened to read something 'bout this (well in a roundabout way)...

According to Decarboxylation of Δ 9-tetrahydrocannabinol: Kinetics and molecular modeling; 2011

by Perrotin-Brunel, Helene; Buijs, Wim; Spronsen, Jaap van

Acids will break down the inactive THCa and transform it to the active THC.

I'd hypothesise that stomach acids do the same thing

That is, the acid in the stomach decarboxylates some (much?) of the inactive THCa so it become active THC.

Also, good chance inactive THCa has anti-inflammatory properties... maybe the roo's are self medicating for their joint pain (pun intended)

Matti

Edited by Matanuska Thunder

I have it on good authority that raw unprocessed bud when consumed by mammals will get you high. It's not a particularly efficient method of administration, but if you were a mammal (human or otherwise) nibbling away at a tasty plant, you would get something out of it. A secret known well by the animals resident in Australia, it seems :)

I have it on good authority that raw unprocessed bud when consumed by mammals will get you high. It's not a particularly efficient method of administration, but if you were a mammal (human or otherwise) nibbling away at a tasty plant, you would get something out of it. A secret known well by the animals resident in Australia, it seems :)

I've had pet sheep, goats, cats, dogs, pigs, peacocks, chooks, geese, ducks, roos, emus, possums and plenty iv'e forgoten eat plants before (all by their own choice)......and yes they get stoned. Often they were self medicating for injuries or sickness at the time.....they generaly didnt touch it otherwise.

Cannabis is used by alot of people to treat animals as well as people.

Animals have been self medicating since there were animals.

:peace: MongyMan

awesome MJ and MM!!!.. my chookshave eaten plants, but they never appeared high at all..    I have tried eating dried ganja straight, when I was in imense pain, but was on so many other pain killers I couldn't really give a difinitive answer.. 

@ MT Thanks so much for the journal article link, love to see stuff that has actually been tested, so far I have only read the abstract and looked at the  figures, but will download the document anotehr day..   Makes sense really, that the thc acid can be decarbo... deccarbohoxo....  activated  :) using stomach acid (HCl ??? is it??) after a quick look around I found some people have used lemon juice (acetic acid) to activate thc and go on to make a  drink...   I have to say though there are plenty of anecdotes claiming you cannot get high from raw cannabis..  Ther is even a youtube vid of somone claiming to be a canna medicine guru who blends entire plants up to make an elixer that will cure all, who claims "it's ok because it cannot get you high"

Hi MJ and everyone,

I completed the survey and joined the forum (after much lurking) to comment on this fantastic study.

I also got a bit political in my comments, but that's not unusual for me; I tend to get political about a lot of things.

MJ, I hope the results of your survey go a long way to change the perception of growers in this country. Already, a significant result has been the fact that over half of people grow for medicinal purposes, myself included.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much for your contribution, Runnoft, and your comment. We will be analysing the comments separately - it's a big job but we are keen to somehow represent the qualitative data (written comments of growers) from across the world in an analysis.

I have news for everyone here! We are wrapping up the survey by the end of the month. In order to recruit a few more growers before then, we are releasing some interim findings (based on the sample as of end January, n = 450). This afternoon, Triple J's Hack will run a story using our interim findings (featuring both me and my mentor Professor Simon Lenton). I urge you to listen in! It will also be available online, but otherwise, check out Triple J at 5:30pm for the show.

We will also be releasing the story about animals eating crops to the street press (e.g. mX) so hopefully they will run with that to get us some more exposure.

As for the medical growing, we have made a submission to the NSW Inquiry on medicinal cannabis based on the growers survey. We can't share it with you due to their confidentiality rules. Hopefully they will publish it at some point.

As always, if you know a grower, we would appreciate you telling them about the survey and encouraging them to check it out for themselves to see if they would like to contribute, prior to the end of the month.

• Upvote 3

• Oz unpinned this topic