my observations on using PK additives and the effect on ripening

my recent observations of the use of PK is that is you use it late in flower and continuously it actually speeds up the ripening process. which is not necessarily a good thing

i always used it from day 28 in flower until the end of flower at half strength. i have two strains, and when using PK in this manner one strain was always ready quicker at day 49 and the other was ready at day 56.

well this time i used it as currently recommended by canna. i.e. at full strength (1.5ml per litre) at day 21 in flower for 1 week only. well its now day 42 and the strain that normally takes 49 days is showing no brown pistils at all. i mean NOT ONE. this is so not what normally happens at this stage in the past. the buds are as fat and healthy as expected but they look like they may actually go 56 days this time. unless they ripen at a drastic pace over the next 7 days! which i find highly unlikely

so my observation is that by using PK additives for prolonged periods and throughout the latter flower period may actually force your buds to ripen early which may inhibit the buds achieving their full size/potential. i guess the proof will be in the pudding once everythingn is harvested in 2 weeks and i can compare weight from the two different methods.

what is even more interesting is that the strain which normally takes 56 days, ive been using GH Kool Bloom at 75% strength from day 28, every week. well its only 42 days and this strain is showing almost 50% brown pistils which is extraodinarily early and very peculiar. the only thing i can put this down too is the very high phosphorous to potassium ratio of Kool Bloom as compared to Canna PK. Canna PK is 13/14 whereas Kool Bloom is 45/28 (so 22.5/14 when comparing it to canna). my thoughts are that the higher phosphorous stresses the plant and causes early ripening?

any thoughts on this guys???? similar or different experiences?

Hmm(rubs chin thoughtfully) as far as I am aware,PK 13-14 is given full strength at the 3 weeks to go stage,and for one week only.

It's detrimental bigtime to use it earlier and causes physiological changes that are undesireable.

That's well established standard operating procedure in Europe at least.

I've always done it this way untill my current grow, using Aqua Flores (I'm at day 28 and not too sure if there is a hell of a difference) . Things have changed, check out Canna's web site to see the different feeding schedules for their different products. I never used rhizotonic after the vegative stage before now either, so this grow is going to be interesting.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try keep you all updated.

dr rockster

canna USED to recommend to use PK 3 weeks before harvest. i.e. beg of wk 5 for an 8 wk strain,

they now recommend to use it at the 'SMALL FRUIT DEVELOPMENT STAGE'. go and check the chart

http://www.canna-au.com/dhtml/products_aqua_vega.php?ang=enx

this is at the 3rd to 4th week of flower.

i too was sceptical. i thought that if i used it this early it would make them ripen quicker, or not reach their full potential. im now a convert, there at day 42 and amazing, and not ripening quicker at all, in fact, the opposite.

TOM - your right i meant 1.5ml per litre. not 3ml per litre (ive edited the original post)