Help me with my mix

Guest KuH_De_Tah

Guest KuH_De_Tah

Hi

I am currently trying to make up my own potting mix. I am sitting on about 200kgs of worm castings, 40 kgs of enriched worm casting based fertilizer from nutri-tech called nutri verm. 10 bags of organic mushroom compost, 5 pags of composted chook shit and a 25kg bag of guano. I also have afew blocks of coco coir and a big bag of perlite.

I am looking to make enough potting mix to fill 10 60litre bins.

I was looking to use the castings as the base about 40% , perlite around 10% coco coir around 20% and the mushroom compost as the rest. Ofcourse adding a bit of lime and a few other goodies and then adding the chook poo and guano as a tea when required.

I have seen a few posts on other sites where people use something like this in their mix's. My mate laughed at my thought of all the mushie compost and reckons it will burn the shit out of my plants.

If I cant use all the mushie compost what would you guys recomend I use to bulk up my mix instead.?

This is to be an organic mix so I can't add package potitng mix ( or would really prefer not to). I am aiming to reuse this soil year after year so I also cant add any hydro nutes or any thing that will cause salt buildups in the soil and or kill the beneficial bacteria that will make its home in my and a few mates back gardens.

Could I just go out to a landscaper and get a few bags of organic soil and add abit more perlit or coco for aeration.

By the way my strains this year will be Shark Shock, Kali Mist, Deep Chunk, Sunshine and I am going to see what all the hype is about with the Sour Diesel IBL. This is also a reason that I am worried abit about adding all the mushie compst as they all require different feed levels and I woujld prefer just to make a neutral cool mix so I can tinker with the additives as I go.

I have looked at peat moss and it seeds to go very acidic over time. Any help will be greatly apreaciated.

Heya Kuh B) im no expert on soils but ive always enriched mine with organic matter

one thing i found was good is cow shit patties , collect aged ones from the paddock, get lawnmower out start up, and feed the cowshit through the lawnmower, collect cowshit powder (now) and add to your mix

i mixed it with potting soil etc, but you dont want soil?? :P

id be real careful with any peat moss i think it is acidy B)

B)