First try at a no dig soil mix

I thought that I finally worked out how to post my table of the mix and costings without stuffing up the format. However I previewed my post and the bloody thing was all over the place again.

So I've deleted the table until someone can help me with posting an excel file.

The rest of the post was based on the table and I'm buggered if I'm deleting it.

I made up a 260 litre mix this morning, it took me a couple of hours of easy work so I'll have no problem doing the garden beds I want to work on as they will be 300 litre mixes.

It'll be easier in a raised garden bed than in the containers I used this morning,

As you can see I used a number of suppliers and have no complaints not caused by my impatience.

I probably paid top dollar (see line above) so I will likely do better than $1.50/litre next time.

If you add in the cost of the inputs I supplied the price of the 25 litre bags that EAO sells would seem to offer pretty good value; the OGS product is quite a bit more expensive. ($55 V $90 for a 25 litre bag)

I have no idea of the ingredients in either nor do I have any opinion as to which mix is best.

OGS was very handy because they have a wide range of products though I bought from EAO where I could seeing that his thread inspired me.

I will be talking with him about using a Blumat system for watering; I have a 1500 litre tank that I don't use at the moment. The pack he sells won't do though, There are a number of other things Blumat that I will need and he doesn't advertise them.

The Aussie distributor sells online:

https://www.eurolux-australia.com.au/blumat/

but I'd rather support EAO (DNG's business in case that's not clear) so if he will match their price (no reason to expect he won't) He'll get my business.

Just not for a few months; I've spent heaps on this over the last few weeks.

At least the rotating compost bin or electric cement mixer are now out of the picture.

Keep up the great work on soils

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I thought that I finally worked out how to post my table of the mix and costings without stuffing up the format. However I previewed my post and the bloody thing was all over the place again.

So I've deleted the table until someone can help me with posting an excel file.

The rest of the post was based on the table and I'm buggered if I'm deleting it.

I made up a 260 litre mix this morning, it took me a couple of hours of easy work so I'll have no problem doing the garden beds I want to work on as they will be 300 litre mixes.

It'll be easier in a raised garden bed than in the containers I used this morning,

As you can see I used a number of suppliers and have no complaints not caused by my impatience.

I probably paid top dollar (see line above) so I will likely do better than $1.50/litre next time.

If you add in the cost of the inputs I supplied the price of the 25 litre bags that EAO  sells would seem to offer pretty good value; the OGS product is quite a bit more expensive. ($55 V $90 for a 25 litre bag)

I have no idea of the ingredients in either nor do I have any opinion as to which mix is best.

OGS was very handy because they have a wide range of products though I bought from EAO where I could seeing that his thread inspired me.

I will be talking with him about using a Blumat system for watering; I have a 1500 litre tank that I don't use at the moment. The pack he sells won't do though, There are a number of other things Blumat that I will need and he doesn't advertise them.

The Aussie distributor sells online:

https://www.eurolux-australia.com.au/blumat/

but I'd rather support EAO (DNG's business in case that's not clear) so if he will match their price (no reason to expect he won't) He'll get my business.

Just not for a few months; I've spent heaps on this over the last few weeks.

At least the rotating compost bin or electric cement mixer are now out of the picture.

Print the excel sheet to aPDF.

select the parts in the sheet you want and use the "print selection" so it is reasonably sized and fills the page.

Convert the PDF to a JPEG.

Upload.

:)

• Upvote 1

It's worth noting that the $90 compost ogs sells is meant to be one part of the mix. Aeration being 25 and peat moss the other 25.

So thats 75 litres.

25l or Scoria around $15

Teem peat moss is $45 for 220l so less than $10

So thats around 80c a litre. Equating to about $20 per 25l bag

They have their ready to go mix around the $65 mark I think.

A super soil type mix for me is around $1 a litre. Coots about .75

• Upvote 1

It's worth noting that the $90 compost ogs sells is meant to be one part of the mix. Aeration being 25 and peat moss the other 25.

So thats 75 litres.

25l or Scoria around $15

Teem peat moss is $45 for 220l so less than $10

So thats around 80c a litre. Equating to about $20 per 25l bag

They have their ready to go mix around the $65 mark I think.

A super soil type mix for me is around $1 a litre. Coots about .75

You are right about the 3 part, I missed that. Their ready to go is $65

Your maths is out though; $90 + $15  + $10 = $115/3  = $38 per 25 litre bag

Thanks to billygoat I can post the table.

post-64867-0-88286700-1552554393_thumb.jpg

and a photo of the 150 litre batch.

post-64867-0-90779900-1552554584_thumb.jpg

With the costings I have included freight so placing numerous orders has inflated the cost. Don't know that I can get it down to $1/litre however.

Looks good!

lol! Thanks for the correction. I had the dollar a litre on the brain!

Your mix looks real good!

How are the muscles?

No problems at the moment. I took it slowly and it really is very easy. The most time consuming thing for me was getting the spm moist.

I'll do the 300 litre mix when my replacement inputs arrive, probably late next week.

If I see anything interesting/worrying I'll post a photo and ask for advice.

A quick update.

It's been 2 weeks since I made the first mix and 1 week since the second.

The earlier batch smells wonderful; earthy and rich. Fungus has retreated to the bottom of the containers and there were very few worms when I turned it today. The mix is still coarse at the moment, photos of living soil that I've seen seem to be finer, though it might be my imagination.

A question for the experienced guys. Can I expect to see much change in the next 2 weeks which is how long I plan to leave it before transferring to pots? 

post-64867-0-11937600-1553755432_thumb.jpg

post-64867-0-64279000-1553755464_thumb.jpg

The garden bed is much more fungal than the containers ever were. I gave it a quick turn today and I have large clumps of mycorrhizal infected soil

post-64867-0-44244300-1553756205_thumb.jpg

post-64867-0-99100700-1553756231_thumb.jpg

I haven't broken them up at all. Should I?