Giggles Grows.

hey sng, looking good mate. also keen to see what u produce in the better weather.

i get lost when u mention all the strains and f1 f2? lol seems u know what ur doing mate, keep it up [emoji4]

My end goal is stable F5 strains. I've used multiple strain genetics as building blocks. Now I'm happy with the end results I'm zeroing in on creating in lined true strains not novel F1 hybrids. Regular until perfect stability acquired then I'll STS fem beans.

Basically F1 refers to a novel hybrid. F2 is second generation and the most genetically unstable in terms of pheno types. Once F3 or third gen is achieved with selective pairing the stock becomes more stable. F4 is one step from a true in line.

This is when multiple females should be pollinated to create your lines. Each seed plant becomes a line. These are kept separate until one line weakens. It is then cross bred with its sister line. The result will be 2-3 separate seed lines all F5 and pheno stable. This is stabilized regular breeding.

Back crossing onto earlier cultivars can reinforce certain characteristics that may have altered during the in line process or can be used diversify the genetics. So if your F3 needs a certain characteristic reinforced that has become dormant then a back cross to say an f1 that has those characteristics.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Back crossing an F1 to a parent strain plant reinforces those characteristics of the parent back crossed. This will create more stable f2 seeds. From there selective pairing will bring out desired characteristics in the offspring.

Then there is using clones for regular breeding and S1 reversed. You can also back cross with stored male pollen for up to 6 months. S1 refers to reversing a female and pollinating another female. Hope that helps. EDIT: To achieve true homogeneity the s1 seeds should be grown out and a Clone reversed and the pollen applied to seed female. This is S2. This method can make homogenous S2 stock from a polyhybrid mother.

F2 selection is crucial, select the wrong parents and your back peddling trying to improve some feature the poor f2 cross has lost. Also you don't want to focus on locking down one feature to heavily or you will excessively inbreeding resulting in weak genetics by the time you establish your lines. Your lines may be too inbred already and lack the ability to reinvigorate a strain.

Edited by ShitsNGiggles
  • Upvote 1

F1 hybrids have hybrid vigor. They clone well and grow aggressively. They are usually representative of the father or mother or a combination with a small minority showing recessive traits neither p1(parent) or p2 display. The f2 will have multiple variants, mother, father and a multiple number of combinations plus some recessive traits. This is why f2 selection is so important. From here the selected genetics start to become dominant features of the strain by F3 or third gen.

Should mention polyhybrid. This is crossing two unstable strains such as an f1 and f2 of different parentage. I do this a bunch it makes stabilization more difficult but infuses a far broader array of genetics and reduces inbreeding.

Out breeding is selecting say 10 F1 males, mixing the pollen and applying it to a selected female or several. This ensures the broadest range of genetics available for f2 selection and reduces excessive in breeding during the in lining process.

Edited by ShitsNGiggles

Cheers bro. Breeding isn't a quick process. Many great strains required years of work.

I want to start working with only Australian, Pacific island and asian genetics. Like mullimbimby madness x China yunnan x Bhutanese white. Hawaiian Maui wowi x tahitian x beechworth Indica.

These are my dream strains. I just need some beans from Tahiti. ;-)

Tight breeding results in limited pheno variation. Loose results in multiple pheno lemon skunk is an example. [emoji848] Probably missed something or confused something but to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by ShitsNGiggles