in my sip rez there is water & EM-1 , if you have extended the EM-1 it will have a shorter shelf life ( 6mths ) than the un-extended , more like 12mths

the main inoculant in bokashi making is EM-1 , the grains as there called are the carrier ,

which could be lots of things from newspaper/sawdust /rice hulls to what i use wheat bran

to answer your question yes , but in a lill diff way 

the bacterial mycelium is feeding on the mulch layer & storing readily available nutrients 

for the plant & reaching through the medium to the root system 

liquid Em-1 , i've heard it explained as the organizers of the soil life , they seem to kick everybody into gear

then become food for the life they got happening

one thing i've learnt recently stop using EM-1 2 weeks before finish

continuing to use EM-1 in a sip & i suspect else where can seem to keep a plant flowering longer

Interesting that it does that. Maybe that's still helping the plant by giving it a longer chance to be pollinated

Grabbed a bag of bio-char and bokashi on the way home today. Decided to avoid the mushroom and chicken manure composts now that I know more. Thanks for all the tips

I'll post it up once I'm mixing

• Upvote 2

Its all a learning curve ...take note of your aspect when you do anything like this .....you will get better at it over time

as the seasons change .....

A sunny spot in winter Nth facing

A semi afternoon shade spot in summer ... east/sth  east facing in the Southern hemisphere.

for your cultures and amendments ....have two piles going or spots going.... catering to both these aspects.... it will help heaps and take some from both sites when amending.

In Autumn or when you see healthy fungi collect them and throw them onto your sites...before to long they are inoculated.

And costs nothing 

And if in the ground have whatever amount maybe 20 spots rotating a season on a season off 

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking once I have this mix ready in the 100L tub I could throw my little 90w led over it and grow a small cover crop until I can use it? Something that will add the the soi perhaps? What would you guys suggest?

The tub wouldn't have drain holes but I'd think a cover crop isn't going to need much water and maybe I could use a broom or something to poke air holes down through the soil to the bottom of the tub if it would help get air down there.

What do you think?

cover cropping is a great idea 

greenharvest.com.au or edenseeds.com.au both have a cover crop or green manure mix you can buy in bulk 

the idea of the cover crop is to add life & food to the soil , the healthier the cover crop the more benefits to the pot & subsequent plant 

in no till the idea is to not disturb or dig the soil , let the soil dwellers build a home & aerate the medium for you   

the benefit would be cover cropping in your pot or plot , the place you plan to grow in , as to not disturb the soil life when potting up 

there would be benefit to cover cropping in your tub but no drainage could be a prob pretty quick if not careful 

much better to cover crop the pot , in saying that , i'm talking larger volumes of soil , 10 , 15 , 20 gallon , you plan 

on small pots , i would re-think that & go with multiple plants in one pot , like 20gal with 4 plants , depending on when 

you put them outdoors will determine how big they get , prime a big pot with cover crop , start canna seeds later in the season

& transplant to the big pot mid Jan or when you see pistils on the vegging plants for the flower cycle 

better to think around using a larger amount of soil & vegging shorter times to keep plants smaller , a bit strain dependent 

some will stretch 2x = more sativa dom , some will stretch not much at all = indica dom , i think sativa doms are good for this 

you can veg a plant till it's 300mm high & finish with a meter tall plant & nice yield , indica doms are a little safer in the height

dept but you can flower a lill to early & miss out on yield

plant count is always something to consider but the rule of using larger soil amounts & vegging for less time = shorter plants , stands 

• Upvote 1

greenharvest.com.au or edenseeds.com.au both have a cover crop or green manure mix you can buy in bulk 

the idea of the cover crop is to add life & food to the soil , the healthier the cover crop the more benefits to the pot & subsequent plant 

in no till the idea is to not disturb or dig the soil , let the soil dwellers build a home & aerate the medium for you   

the benefit would be cover cropping in your pot or plot , the place you plan to grow in , as to not disturb the soil life when potting up 

there would be benefit to cover cropping in your tub but no drainage could be a prob pretty quick if not careful 

much better to cover crop the pot , in saying that , i'm talking larger volumes of soil , 10 , 15 , 20 gallon , you plan 

on small pots , i would re-think that & go with multiple plants in one pot , like 20gal with 4 plants , depending on when 

you put them outdoors will determine how big they get , prime a big pot with cover crop , start canna seeds later in the season

& transplant to the big pot mid Jan or when you see pistils on the vegging plants for the flower cycle 

better to think around using a larger amount of soil & vegging shorter times to keep plants smaller , a bit strain dependent 

some will stretch 2x = more sativa dom , some will stretch not much at all = indica dom , i think sativa doms are good for this 

you can veg a plant till it's 300mm high & finish with a meter tall plant & nice yield , indica doms are a little safer in the height

plant count is always something to consider but the rule of using larger soil amounts & vegging for less time = shorter plants , stands

Yeah true, last thing I want to do it turn the soil into an anaerobic, waterlogged mess. Just keen to grow something lol. Soon I will have more space to work with so a larger indoor pot/bed may be an option in future.

Always have drainage holes

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Yeah for sure, the plan wasn't to grow any ladies in the tub. Was just thinking if I could grow a cover crop in there while waiting but would end up having to shovel it into my air pots later anyway so have scrapped that idea.

So I've decided that rather than only mixing the soil and moving to air pots (which I'll still do) I'm going to also take your advice and make a mix to throw in a 15 gallon fabric pot and start my first attempt at a longer term no till pot. So I'll look back into running a cover crop for now.

Also, i was told I didn't have enough phosphorus and potassium in the mix and should add some seabird guano and coconut meal to the initial mix. What I've been reading has led me to believe that I should avoid putting guano into the initial mix and top dress it as the plant needs (mid to late flower). What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Steve Green

you got it already 

better to start with a nice easy balanced mix , get some worms in there & top feed the pot

keep in mind almost all soil tests done at the start of a mix being made read higher after

plants have grown in that living soil 

outdoors look round the garden , you got colorful flowers round the place , one guess

as to when to top dress those ! , never forget diversity = bit of everything is always good

just a lill word of warning on top dressing flowers , any backyard flower is pretty much fine but any flower from a florist i'd put

in the bin , commercial flower industry spray heaps , they are not a food so have very diff rules to using chems , it's also 

a reason to not get any compost from your local council , never really know what people spray in there backyard & put in there

green waste bins 

A bit of reading if interested https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system good place to start 

has a soil mix you can use , will also mention using things like Coconut water & aloe vera juice which

i would recommend , get freeze dried coconut water powder from the health food store , loving earth

is the brand i use , & aloe vera , grow your own but you can buy it in powder form = a bit X'y 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

you got it already 

better to start with a nice easy balanced mix , get some worms in there & top feed the pot

keep in mind almost all soil tests done at the start of a mix being made read higher after

plants have grown in that living soil 

outdoors look round the garden , you got colorful flowers round the place , one guess

as to when to top dress those ! , never forget diversity = bit of everything is always good

just a lill word of warning on top dressing flowers , any backyard flower is pretty much fine but any flower from a florist i'd put

in the bin , commercial flower industry spray heaps , they are not a food so have very diff rules to using chems , it's also 

a reason to not get any compost from your local council , never really know what people spray in there backyard & put in there

green waste bins 

A bit of reading if interested https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system good place to start 

has a soil mix you can use , will also mention using things like Coconut water & aloe vera juice which

i would recommend , get freeze dried coconut water powder from the health food store , loving earth

is the brand i use , & aloe vera , grow your own but you can buy it in powder form = a bit X'y

Top dressing with flowers... while in flower. Awesome!

Thanks mate, very much appreciated. I'll read that link, can't wait to get started!