Bamboo is toxic and similar to oak leaves .....Euc's, Casuarina ,Radiata Pine etc

Be careful of allelopathic species

Plant allelopathy is the ‘chemical warfare’ among the plants imposed by one plant on another to suppress the latter and take advantage from that suppression. The word allelopathy comes from two Greek words allelon and pathos; where allelon means ‘each other’ and pathos means ‘to suffer’. Thus in the phenomenon of plant allelopathy, allelopathic plants create adverse conditions to other neighboring plants by reducing their seed germination and seedling growth. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

• Upvote 1

not so much grasshoppers as most of them stay in the paddocks but I have had no real major issues with the species.... I have companion planted with ....

Basil,tomatoes,corn...cucumbers..cosmos...potatoes

,wisteria for stealth great combo,Mulberry, sunchokes....

turmeric....Amaranth

not so much grasshoppers as most of them stay in the paddocks but I have had no real major issues with the species.... I have companion planted with ....

Basil,tomatoes,corn...cucumbers..cosmos...potatoes

,wisteria for stealth great combo,Mulberry, sunchokes....

turmeric....Amaranth

Thought I'd replied to this...Sorry mate and thanks for the info! so you say bamboo is toxic? So have I made a big mistake by using bamboo stakes on my plants...not really touching anything but they are shoved in the ground right next to them....will toxins leach out into the soil? or just while the bamboo is actually alive and growing is it a problem?

Bamboo leaves and rhizomes compete ...the stakes are fine ....I mean using bamboo leaves as an additive to compost.

Bamboo's running and clumping during certain times of the year do a leaf drop and the material looks similar to sugar cane mulch .

If you look at this photo it shows how once they are established very little if anything grows under it.

It is called allelopathy

https://permaculturenews.org/2016/01/21/plant-allelopathy/

post-60532-0-38033300-1495440532_thumb.jpg

Edited by cardrona

Bamboo leaves and rhizomes compete ...the stakes are fine ....I mean using bamboo leaves as an additive to compost.

Bamboo's running and clumping during certain times of the year do a leaf drop and the material looks similar to sugar cane mulch .

If you look at this photo it shows how once they are established very little if anything grows under it.

It is called allelopathy

https://permaculturenews.org/2016/01/21/plant-allelopathy/

Looks like my garden....I knew they were like that in an established garden, but after you reminded me I got a little worried about anything from the stakes (I cut them fresh and used them same morning) leaching out into the soil..Good to know though...I'd like to find some more uses for bamboo other than garden stakes and looking pretty....