Cannabis like a lot of other plants made its way around the world falling out the arse of birds, and giving them a nice fertalized spot to get a start in life

nothing wrong with a bit of poo as long as its not from meat eating animals and you know what's in it, all the poo I use comes from my place

I wouldn't use shit from any commercial production, fuck knows what garbage they put in them

I normally use dirt out of my outdoor plot for me indoor pots, never had a problem, they grow almost as quick as areoponics

Good feedback. The source of the manures claims to certify everything which I know is not necessarily a guarantee, but I do trust them so I might use some of the cow manure but steer clear of the chicken.

Good to hear about your results. I think it will take a bit more work to keep the life in the pots but I'm willing to do it until circumstances change for me

Edited by Steve Green

Alfalfa aka Lucerne in oz , can be used in many ways 

plant lucerne seed in you pot , lucerne is a nitrogen fixing plant which will attract 

nitrogen fixing bacteria into the soil where your canna roots will be  

lucerne has a naturally occurring plant growth regulator , PGR = triacontanol & is in it's highest amounts at seed sprout 

look into making seed sprout teas , keep in mind a lucerne seed sprout tea can be real hot if too many seeds used

can make seed sprout teas with corn = PGR cytokinin &

barley = germination enzyme chitinase , the same you end up with using crustacean shells = chitin 

don't forget to check if your bio-char is activated , do not mix un-activated bio-char in your mix , it will suck 

lots of nutes within it's pores 

activating is not hard to do , mix the amount of char you plan to use with the amount of castings you plan to use

& let sit for 2 weeks 

otherwise get an organic fish fert like charlie carp or something , fish hydrolysate better than fish emulsion , & mix

to bottle instructions & add to char , that's it , activated & wet  

if you have the time use the castings method , if no time use the fish hydrolysate method = can be a little bit of a pain

mixing wet char evenly , not a major prob though 

To 1.5 cubic foot of base mix =

1 part peat  , 1 part castings or compost or 50/50 of both , i part aeration = small 7mm scoria or rice hulls or mix of both  

3/4 cup Neem cake /meal 

3/4 cup kelp meal 

3/4 cup crab shell 

3/4 cup gypsum 

7.5 cups basalt rock dust 

9.0 cups activated bio-char 

1.5 cups malted barley powder ( you buy malted barley from brew store , you want a lite colored Pilsner barley , coffee grind to make a powder )

this mix is ready to go , no cooking , a couple of weeks sitting won't hurt but you can plant straight in 

hope that gives you something to compare to 

• Upvote 2

Is it safe/trustworthy to get things like Crab shell powder from Ebay? I'm not concerned about LE but just wondering about quality etc. as I am having a hard time finding some of these amendments.

By the way, thanks everyone for your input on this thread. I have been lurking in the background and learning a lot!

yea welcome to australia man

amazon.com is the closest i can find a decent price on for those ingredients.

might be a few moar years yet till aus opens up customs doors to cheap importation of fertiizers

Is it safe/trustworthy to get things like Crab shell powder from Ebay? I'm not concerned about LE but just wondering about quality etc. as I am having a hard time finding some of these amendments.

By the way, thanks everyone for your input on this thread. I have been lurking in the background and learning a lot!

Alfalfa aka Lucerne in oz , can be used in many ways 

plant lucerne seed in you pot , lucerne is a nitrogen fixing plant which will attract 

nitrogen fixing bacteria into the soil where your canna roots will be  

lucerne has a naturally occurring plant growth regulator , PGR = triacontanol & is in it's highest amounts at seed sprout 

look into making seed sprout teas , keep in mind a lucerne seed sprout tea can be real hot if too many seeds used

can make seed sprout teas with corn = PGR cytokinin &

barley = germination enzyme chitinase , the same you end up with using crustacean shells = chitin 

don't forget to check if your bio-char is activated , do not mix un-activated bio-char in your mix , it will suck 

lots of nutes within it's pores 

activating is not hard to do , mix the amount of char you plan to use with the amount of castings you plan to use

& let sit for 2 weeks 

otherwise get an organic fish fert like charlie carp or something , fish hydrolysate better than fish emulsion , & mix

to bottle instructions & add to char , that's it , activated & wet  

if you have the time use the castings method , if no time use the fish hydrolysate method = can be a little bit of a pain

mixing wet char evenly , not a major prob though 

To 1.5 cubic foot of base mix =

1 part peat  , 1 part castings or compost or 50/50 of both , i part aeration = small 7mm scoria or rice hulls or mix of both  

3/4 cup Neem cake /meal 

3/4 cup kelp meal 

3/4 cup crab shell 

3/4 cup gypsum 

7.5 cups basalt rock dust 

9.0 cups activated bio-char 

1.5 cups malted barley powder ( you buy malted barley from brew store , you want a lite colored Pilsner barley , coffee grind to make a powder )

this mix is ready to go , no cooking , a couple of weeks sitting won't hurt but you can plant straight in 

hope that gives you something to compare to

It sure does, thank you very much. I actually have malted barley available too so I'll grind a bit of that up as directed

Thanks everyone for your input

crab shell was the only one i couldn't find here & brought from amazon / us 

we have a pretty decent sized fishing industry here , we should have these items already why fishing guys aren't diversifying 

& making compost out of there waste , seems strange to me 

i think it's QLD that has a Neem farm , they press there own oil , i'm told you can rock up there & take as much neem cake/meal

as you like free , it's there byproduct of oil making 

Edited by itchybromusic

It sure does, thank you very much. I actually have malted barley available too so I'll grind a bit of that up as directed

Thanks everyone for your input

you can continue to use the barley as a top dress as you move thought the growing stages , barley top dresses every 14 days or so is cool 

can also pick up rice hulls from a brew store , work well as air in the soil & will add silica as they break down feedin fungi , keep in mind they will 

break down so don't just use rice hulls as air on there own , maybe like 20/80 or 30/70 mix with scoria or whatever you use for air 

perlite is fine but in a living soil that you plan to reuse over & over like the no till guys perlite will break down & no longer perform it's gig of aeration 

in saying that hopefully by the time that happens you have enough soil life / worms aerating the soil for you anyway 

you can continue to use the barley as a top dress as you move thought the growing stages , barley top dresses every 14 days or so is cool 

can also pick up rice hulls from a brew store , work well as air in the soil & will add silica as they break down feedin fungi , keep in mind they will 

break down so don't just use rice hulls as air on there own , maybe like 20/80 or 30/70 mix with scoria or whatever you use for air 

perlite is fine but in a living soil that you plan to reuse over & over like the no till guys perlite will break down & no longer perform it's gig of aeration 

in saying that hopefully by the time that happens you have enough soil life / worms aerating the soil for you anyway

Again, all good advice. Thanks mate.

Top dressing was the original plan with the barley but I'll put a little in the mix too.

The aeration mix I'm using is a combination of zeolite, pumice and scoria from a bonsai supplier. He gave me a bag of vermiculite as well so might try a little of that as well. Won't be touching perlite.

The castings I have are full of capsules so should have worms in fairly quickly. I'll need to let the mix sit for at least 1-2 months (couple things going that mean I can't start right away), I've always thought you should turn soil as it composts, or cooks as we like to say. With a mix like this (75L in a 100L plastic tub) would it need to be turned to aerate or would the tilling do more damage than good to the microbial life I'm trying breed. As the worms will take a while to hatch. Probably not a big deal but just seeing what you would do

Again, all good advice. Thanks mate.

Top dressing was the original plan with the barley but I'll put a little in the mix too.

The aeration mix I'm using is a combination of zeolite, pumice and scoria from a bonsai supplier. He gave me a bag of vermiculite as well so might try a little of that as well. Won't be touching perlite.

The castings I have are full of capsules so should have worms in fairly quickly. I'll need to let the mix sit for at least 1-2 months (couple things going that mean I can't start right away), I've always thought you should turn soil as it composts, or cooks as we like to say. With a mix like this (75L in a 100L plastic tub) would it need to be turned to aerate or would the tilling do more damage than good to the microbial life I'm trying breed. As the worms will take a while to hatch. Probably not a big deal but just seeing what you would do

" The aeration mix I'm using is a combination of zeolite, pumice and scoria from a bonsai supplier" . perfect 

i store soil mixes in a 44gal drum , i don't think it needs turning , that's more of a compost thing 

in saying that if you have allot of hot amendments in your mix then it prob does need composting / turning 

the main reason i store the mix , which is not that hot , is protection from the weather & to keep the bugs out for as long as poss 

gnats finding a moist fresh soil mix is like a drunk finding the keys to the brewery , party time !

if you are needing to compost you can add some Bokashi to the mix of compost , will kick it along a lill quicker 

you might even see a lill bacterial mycelium formation like this on a blueberry seedling i have at home at the mo 

which is using a form of bokashi top dress 

post-50689-0-73725500-1496115920_thumb.jpgpost-50689-0-00460500-1496115856_thumb.jpg