I thought when you top dress that you have to water it in. How are you achieving this in the reservoir pot thing? Are you still watering it normally only when top dressing?

the pot thing is a sip , sub irrigated planter , it's a wicking system with a shower cap 

condensation gathers on the underside of the shower cap & rains down on the top

dress as well as the wicking from the built in rez

with a wicking system in general you don't want to top water as it could instantly show signs of over watering 

when you top dress , roughly monthly in summer i do spray the top down slightly just to

moisten the top dress not anything past the fresh top dress though 

Ok thanks, makes sense.

I really appreciate all of your advice and sharing of info. It's cool that you go to the effort to try and share what you know.

This soil stuff is a bit hard to understand at times but you have been able to explain a few things in a way that has made them far easier for me to understand, so thank you!

Ok thanks, makes sense.

I really appreciate all of your advice and sharing of info. It's cool that you go to the effort to try and share what you know.

This soil stuff is a bit hard to understand at times but you have been able to explain a few things in a way that has made them far easier for me to understand, so thank you!

no worries at all , 

pass it forward 

As long as the mix is not still hot the cannibas plant is very hard to kill with to much love in measure amounts ....

As great as it sounds and yes you will get great results ....it is a weed .....and will still perform well with minimal overkill on additives .

It really depends on how big can you let it go before it draws attention.....it is very different to grow legally and trying to hide it .....if its not an issue go for it ....but it should be a consideration ......ask yourself how much you want to yield? .....

This really will determine how much you need to spend and or do.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

" The aeration mix I'm using is a combination of zeolite, pumice and scoria from a bonsai supplier" . perfect

i store soil mixes in a 44gal drum , i don't think it needs turning , that's more of a compost thing

in saying that if you have allot of hot amendments in your mix then it prob does need composting / turning

the main reason i store the mix , which is not that hot , is protection from the weather & to keep the bugs out for as long as poss

gnats finding a moist fresh soil mix is like a drunk finding the keys to the brewery , party time !

if you are needing to compost you can add some Bokashi to the mix of compost , will kick it along a lill quicker

you might even see a lill bacterial mycelium formation like this on a blueberry seedling i have at home at the mo

which is using a form of bokashi top dress

attachicon.gif0022.JPGattachicon.gif7.JPG

Awesome, mycelium looks the balls

I actually have a bottle of em-1 which is only a month or so old, plus I've got about 500ml of it expanded. Would adding this do the same function as bokashi?

Feel you about gnats, those bastards show up everywhere. Maybe the neem meal will help with that

Edited by Steve Green

Awesome, mycelium looks the balls

I actually have a bottle of em-1 which is only a month or so old, plus I've got about 500ml of it expanded. Would adding this do the same function as bokashi?

Feel you about gnats, those bastards show up everywhere. Maybe the neem meal will help with that

in my sip rez there is water & EM-1 , if you have extended the EM-1 it will have a shorter shelf life ( 6mths ) than the un-extended , more like 12mths

the main inoculant in bokashi making is EM-1 , the grains as there called are the carrier ,

which could be lots of things from newspaper/sawdust /rice hulls to what i use wheat bran

to answer your question yes , but in a lill diff way 

the bacterial mycelium is feeding on the mulch layer & storing readily available nutrients 

for the plant & reaching through the medium to the root system 

liquid Em-1 , i've heard it explained as the organizers of the soil life , they seem to kick everybody into gear

then become food for the life they got happening

one thing i've learnt recently stop using EM-1 2 weeks before finish

continuing to use EM-1 in a sip & i suspect else where can seem to keep a plant flowering longer   

• Upvote 2