Hiya Steve, no worries.  Yes, it is home made.  Potassium silicate (silica) aloe vera 200x powder (like at a health food shop lol ) or raw aloe leaf, and fulvic acid.  I usually mix around 4 litres at a time ( roughtly 1 us gallon as lots of the 'recipes' I am reading are from overseas)

Aloe:              http://aloeveraaustralia.com.au/aloe-vera-powder-100g.html     about 1/8 tsp per 4L

Fulvic Acid:    https://planthealthsolutions.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=103_64&product_id=1445     1-1.5ml/L

Silica:             https://planthealthsolutions.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=103_65&product_id=224        **

I am not a salesman lol  I think the molds and mildews do not like a high leaf ph.

**I have switched from flairform silica to the nts as it is less expensive and I like what nts is doing re nutrition and food.  I was using 2-3ml/L for the foliar spray and about a third that if I am going to water it in...Haven't got the silica sussed yet- I burnt the daylights out of a critical haze plant last yearwhen the sun decided it wasn't finished and I had sprayed....Please don't spray in the sun.  I water it in too every other watering or so and I had noticed the irrigation rates of dilute are much weaker than the foliar with the flairform product.

I make one of these up probably twice a week. I spray them in the shade but make sure that its gonna stay shady lol and then I also make sure they have time to dry before night and the humidity. 

Hope this made sense, tonnes more info but not enough time lol  Itchy and swifty have much more experience I believe, as do many others.  This is a cool thread.  Watch out GC lol :bongon:

Faith :sun:

cool stuff faith 

not sure what 1/8 tsp works out to but don't be shy with that Aloe powder , i use it at 15ml of aloe water per liter , foliar & drench 

for anyone that didn't know , Saponins found in Aloe Vera & others , can be used as a pesticide , among other things

has a soapy detergent type quality , helps emulsify oils like neem , i do think silica does a better job at emulsifying oils but def not

going to hurt using both 

• Upvote 1

Very common over the early autumn if we are having rain... highly humid months on the east coast ...and temeperate areas

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

You dont get that in spain pedro?

We get plenty of rain, not so much the humidity in autumn, except for this year, I do remember seeing some many years ago on some cucurbit leaves, we live on a hill, we get a bit of wind, not this year tho, was a mouldy year, veggie patch getting a rest and rebuild, so no garden this year

Normally let everything look after themselves, and eat the survivors

You watch me get it now that I'm home and looking after them, lol

• Upvote 1

We get plenty of rain, not so much the humidity in autumn, except for this year, I do remember seeing some many years ago on some cucurbit leaves, we live on a hill, we get a bit of wind, not this year tho, was a mouldy year, veggie patch getting a rest and rebuild, so no garden this year

Normally let everything look after themselves, and eat the survivors

You watch me get it now that I'm home and looking after them, lol

Usually the way ....you never worry about it ...and it doesnt happen ....

You worry about it ....something happens 

I noted mine this year.... got it from some paspalum that was growing nearby next to it ....the grass was so tall and in seed and the humidity and absolute torrential rain had caused the seed to get it ..........whether it was that or not I will blame it ....and well the rain was that non stop it was inevitable ....i never do anything normally just keep a visual and remove it if it starts.

worst season ever for it this last one ...in a long time in the basin

• Upvote 1

Hiya Steve, no worries.  Yes, it is home made.  Potassium silicate (silica) aloe vera 200x powder (like at a health food shop lol ) or raw aloe leaf, and fulvic acid.  I usually mix around 4 litres at a time ( roughtly 1 us gallon as lots of the 'recipes' I am reading are from overseas)

Aloe:              http://aloeveraaustralia.com.au/aloe-vera-powder-100g.html     about 1/8 tsp per 4L

Fulvic Acid:    https://planthealthsolutions.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=103_64&product_id=1445     1-1.5ml/L

Silica:             https://planthealthsolutions.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=103_65&product_id=224        **

I am not a salesman lol  I think the molds and mildews do not like a high leaf ph.

**I have switched from flairform silica to the nts as it is less expensive and I like what nts is doing re nutrition and food.  I was using 2-3ml/L for the foliar spray and about a third that if I am going to water it in...Haven't got the silica sussed yet- I burnt the daylights out of a critical haze plant last yearwhen the sun decided it wasn't finished and I had sprayed....Please don't spray in the sun.  I water it in too every other watering or so and I had noticed the irrigation rates of dilute are much weaker than the foliar with the flairform product.

I make one of these up probably twice a week. I spray them in the shade but make sure that its gonna stay shady lol and then I also make sure they have time to dry before night and the humidity. 

Hope this made sense, tonnes more info but not enough time lol  Itchy and swifty have much more experience I believe, as do many others.  This is a cool thread.  Watch out GC lol :bongon:

Faith :sun:

Yes that makes perfect sense. I'll take it easy on the silica lol

That's great, thank you for sharing

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone! So much knowledge on this site...glad I found you guys...About to order the silica and fulvic acid....does anyone know how long the stuff lasts?...you can buy in 1L 5L 20L etc...Have been out and gave her more of a trim...no big shadies left at all now...will take some pics...I think my biggest problem/downfall was my position I planted in...theres about 4-5 different natives above it dropping leaf matter etc onto it every time the wind blows....Lots of rain and dew...Just not enough sun and air flow....Never foliar water as a rule...mother nature has always done that for me...Now that I've taken some shadies away and opened the plant up more it seems to be fighting the powdery mildew pretty well....Will a plant eventually get rid of it if its strong enough?? Knowing my luck I'll get this stuff ordered and mixed up and she'll be all better.....Thanks again guys and girls!

I think a great man once said something like- "Though the worlds problems may be increasingly complex, the solutions are embarrassingly simple" :)

Just remember not to throw the leaves just on the ground actually take them away ;) Good luck 

mistakes ,time and experience is the best teacher 

Thanks everyone! So much knowledge on this site...glad I found you guys...About to order the silica and fulvic acid....does anyone know how long the stuff lasts?...you can buy in 1L 5L 20L etc...Have been out and gave her more of a trim...no big shadies left at all now...will take some pics...I think my biggest problem/downfall was my position I planted in...theres about 4-5 different natives above it dropping leaf matter etc onto it every time the wind blows....Lots of rain and dew...Just not enough sun and air flow....Never foliar water as a rule...mother nature has always done that for me...Now that I've taken some shadies away and opened the plant up more it seems to be fighting the powdery mildew pretty well....Will a plant eventually get rid of it if its strong enough?? Knowing my luck I'll get this stuff ordered and mixed up and she'll be all better.....Thanks again guys and girls!

I think a great man once said something like- "Though the worlds problems may be increasingly complex, the solutions are embarrassingly simple" :)

• Upvote 1

Might be a bit of a random question but does anyone have a compost bin, worm farm and bokashi bin? I feel like I want all 3 but don't know if I actually need them all. Can anyone with 2 or more of these please explain your setup and cycle to me?

Edit: Just found this, its a pretty good run down. You almost do need all 3 for different reasons-

"Limitations of each system:
Bokashi: good for food/kitchen scraps, doesn't do garden waste(lawn clippings and prunings)
Compost Bin: good for garden waste, limited use for food. very good for chookyard rakings.
Worm Cafe: good for food/kitchen scraps, doesn't do garden waste(lawn clippings and prunings)"

Possibly leaning towards the fact that if I had a worm farm and outdoor compost bin then I probably wouldn't need the Bokashi?

Still interested to hear what your setups are.

Edited by Thirstyman88