The God Delusion

Ocelot

I got no problem with people who like to have imaginary friends :thumbsup: . Yeah brick, they used to drill into you that God is the only answer, I liken it to Brain washing. I spent a fair few years in Catholic schools and asked a lot of questions about God that usually resulted in me being caned and given "scab" duty picking up rubbish every lunch time.

I hate to say it but religion preys on the weak and those looking for answers, or those who think they are above the rest of us and must have a 'Higher" purpose. It has started more wars than anything in the history of man. The Bodies we call churches now demand a percentage of your wages to appease the Imaginary Friends house of worship and also to grease between the bars at the pearly gates. lol

As a kid, I was into evolution, loved dinosaurs but I was not allowed to believe in this, that they even existed at any point. This is what I wanted to know........ How can there be evolution and proof in fossils etc and science that can show they existed but not a scaric of evidence that God, Geebus and the rest was even true, or existed.

I think it was a nice story book for trying to get people to think about how they lived their lives, which was taken and turned into a money making, power over people institutiion that is hypocritical and unjust.

i see the chucrhes etc providing aid to people in distant countries like Africa, but it comes at a price, they must also be brainwashed into being "One of Us" or no help. And in a situation where you are battling to eat and survive, you would think it must be the answer if you are being helped at all.

The Roman Catholic Church is one of the richest Institutions in the world yet with all this wealth, they still can not see their way to help others, instead they hoard this wealth while people suffer.

Religion is the greatest Scam ever pulled off, it gives Power and privilege to the heads of said organizations, they bend this support to their will and use it to influence others, all the time milking the flock.

I could tell you i worship a purple octopus called Barry and he created the Universe and is the supreme God that all should bow before if you don't want to be smited and made to watch Oprah re-runs for eternity after you die.............................Doesn't make it so......:peace: Gh72

Wise words, Hopper. I'm a believer but I do NOT believe in religion. The Catholic church has been responsible for atrocious acts of genocide throughout history & even financed Hitler's war machine. I don't believe in church based religion but I do believe in God.

To believe that from a primordial nutrient soup a single cell life form emerged that slowly & inextricably mutated to become this highly intelligent and aware being such as ourselves (except for a few rellies) that is able to question & explore worlds outside our own requirese a bigger leap of faith than I've got.

I was a child of science but the more you investigate the scientific world the more you realize how cleverly everything works together...too clever a design for it to be accident!! IMO

Wise words, Hopper. I'm a believer but I do NOT believe in religion. The Catholic church has been responsible for atrocious acts of genocide throughout history & even financed Hitler's war machine. I don't believe in church based religion but I do believe in God.

To believe that from a primordial nutrient soup a single cell life form emerged that slowly & inextricably mutated to become this highly intelligent and aware being such as ourselves (except for a few rellies) that is able to question & explore worlds outside our own requirese a bigger leap of faith than I've got.

I was a child of science but the more you investigate the scientific world the more you realize how cleverly everything works together...too clever a design for it to be accident!! IMO

I'm actually the complete opposite. The more I learn about the scientific workings of the universe, the more obsolete a divine creator becomes.

If anyone is interested. There is a book called "Power Without Glory" an Aussie author wrote this book about a Melbourne crim named Johnathan Wren. Started off a small time crim in the 20's or 30's I vaguely remember. Then grew to being one of the most ruthless gangsters in Melb. Worse than Squizzy Taylor. He had the Archbishop of Melb a one Dr Mannix licking his arse for years because of his donations to the Catholic church.:devilred::devilred::devilred:

Sorta like "Buying a Stairway to Heaven"

Gee where do I start???

Brick...to answer your question....mankind can produce enough food to feed everyone. Distribution problems and politics gives us starvation. If people are too busy scratching around to find food the less likely they are concerned with political affairs. Starvation is manmade...God has provided what we need - it's up to us to sort it out. I don't want to preach...it's not my way but you asked...

Sawyer...if I may suggest a book then please read Stephen Hawkins "A Brief History Of time". That's the one that turned me from atheist to christian. He explains the moreman discovers about the physiacal universe the more he's convinced it couldn't happen by chance...the laws are too exact...too precise. If the force of gravity, for example, had even a slight change of value then the stars & planets wouldn't form or the universe would collapse upon itself.

Oh...Brick50 again!!! I don't disagree with you, mate. The catholic church is evil & corrupt. Again...a problem created by man. as for a pope to be God's representative on earth...what a fucking joke!!!

Nothing I can say here will sway non believers & I don't intend to...we all have free will. I respect everyone's comments here as should we all. In the meantime let's have a cone...give thanks to God..or Allah...or Buddah...or good ol' mother nature herself.

Peace coners :bongon:

Sawyer...if I may suggest a book then please read Stephen Hawkins "A Brief History Of time". That's the one that turned me from atheist to christian. He explains the more man discovers about the physical universe the more he's convinced it couldn't happen by chance...the laws are too exact...too precise. If the force of gravity, for example, had even a slight change of value then the stars & planets wouldn't form or the universe would collapse upon itself.

Nothing I can say here will sway non believers & I don't intend to...we all have free will. I respect everyone's comments here as should we all. In the meantime let's have a cone...give thanks to God..or Allah...or Buddah...or good ol' mother nature herself.

Peace coners :bongon:

A brief History of Time already sits on my bookshelf :thumbsup:

I've read many of the popular science books. I'm a big fan of both Sagan and Dawkins. I recently acquired some of their work in audiobook form and it's such a pleasure to listen to them read.

Try Pale Blue Dot by Sagan and Greatest Show on Earth by Dawkins. I know they're written by two of the stoutest atheists of recent times, but they're still great to read. You'll most definitely learn something new.

"Brick...to answer your question....mankind can produce enough food to feed everyone. Distribution problems and politics gives us starvation. If people are too busy scratching around to find food the less likely they are concerned with political affairs. Starvation is manmade...God has provided what we need - it's up to us to sort it out. I don't want to preach...it's not my way but you asked."

So what have all the starving people around the globe done to get themselves in that situation. What have they done to god to deserve a life of hunger and disease.

My point was that we as kids going to catholic schools were taught that god looked after everyone. Unless you did not worship him then you were on the outer. So god is not the benevolent deity we were told. Religion and politics should never ever be allowed to mix. God is supposed to love all human beings. Who guides the givers of food etc to the starving. :wallbash: If they are all god faring people then they are committing sins against humanity. Religion and God is hypocritical.