The God Delusion

Ocelot

That's a classic, using Reason and Religion in the same argument :ack: ..... I see the Zeitgeist thread got bumped today as well, it debunks Chrisitianity in about 20 minutes and shows it for what it is, a pagan worship of the sun and stars with a bit of politics thrown in, just like countless other stoneage camp fire stories errrr sorry religious beliefs

:whistle: haha nice one bufo

BTW Fibro, I disagree.

God the Creator is NOT _everything_, though He may be responsible for everything.

Before all existed there was the void, and God spoke the word of God, and so became His creation. This _totally_ agrees with modern concepts about creation (the Big Bang), and includes such ideas as 'super strings', 'multiverses' and Darwin. God the Creator set in place the rules by which His creation exists, he then sat back to see what happens.

hmmm sounds like creationism , to me god is everywhere and nowhere , and god is not an entity to himself or herself, HE or SHE....

did anyone contest pagan worship? If so it wasn't me and I don't need to comment on it.

People go wrong considering the idea of deity to be a simple either/or situation. _religion_ may force you to either/or questions but pure faith has no such bounds.

If your pagan practice recognises the concept of deity it is simply another religion.

though people may disagree with the existence of god or the existence of a god depicted by modern religions, i think one thing most of us can agree on is the fact that religious institutions are fundamentally corrupt and have little to offer society other than hate mongering and teaching people to focus on their differences.

IMHO it comes down to science v religion and at this point in time science seems to be winning, science seems to find the answers but when it comes to religion it is mostly hear say.

Oh well i guess we will all find out the day we die, we will be in heaven or hell, or there will be nothing like before u where born time will tell...

now that's something I will not argue against.

IMHO it sums up the whole question. It is not our distinction of beliefs that is at question but how those beliefs are supported/negated by the 'formal societies' we belong to.

I was born and raised a Catholic, and spent most of my schooling in Catholic Institutions. (boarding school)

If anything this has resulted in my dislike of these particularly sick forks. In trying to beat Catholicism into me they actually managed to piss me off.

I am no longer a Catholic (by anything except paper, and I have done most sacrements).

I live by 'christian principles'.

You are allowed to either agree or not, it is not my place to force your opinion.

BTW Ozzy, it doesn't _necessarily_ boil down to science vs religion. The view can be accepted that science rules the physical world whereas belief (I deliberately avoided the word 'religion') defines the spirit.

I accept both the science and the existence of God. There is no conflict.

Im still of the opinion that science and religion are in opposition.

I hear alot of people say that science and religion are just two different ways of knowing, they answer different questions about the world.

But if the role of science is to understand the physical universe, then what is religions role? Understanding the non physical universe? What the hell is that even meant to be?