The God Delusion

Ocelot

have use herd the one about aliens beeing our makers lol,

it says carnt reamember how long ago but along time ago aparently they were minning earth an got sick of doing manual laboure,

so the aliens geneticaly modifeid apes to do all there laboure for them thus making us ,

now that one seems more possoble than god . but there all just fiction,

an theres another crazy thery, an asteriod hit earth an deliverd microbse or sumyhing like that

no one knows an will probly never know , arcioligests think they get it write then new evedence pops up

thats why when they find old things mad by ancient people an they carnt work out what it is an what it was used for they just put it down to religest artifacts, becouse they dont have a clue what it was, its all geus work

I don't believe in god, and I get very upset when religious people get in positions of power, and able to impose their enlightened judgment upon others...

I am open to the possibility I am wrong, but at this point I do not believe in a god.

I'm not much of a fan of most "western style" evangelical type Christians, neither Christians that have affluent lifestyles. Also I tend to dislike Christians that try to rabidly convert others, or are snobby or arrogant towards non-christians.

I am open to the possibility of Christianity having a positive effect on some cultures, though at various times I believe it has had a very negative effect.

Edited by SpunOutStoner

I do believe in god, and I get very upset when non religious people get in positions of power, and able to impose their enlightened judgment upon others...

Fixed, now what?

I am open to the possibility I am wrong, but at this point I do not believe in a god.

Having an open mind is a good, albeit VERY rare, thing. ;)

I'm not much of a fan of most "western style" evangelical type Christians, neither Christians that have affluent lifestyles. Also I tend to dislike Christians that try to rabidly convert others, or are snobby or arrogant towards non-christians.

Ah, so you don't like some 'Christians' because they act just like everyone else? Of course if you were one of those rare individuals who actually decided to read the Bible for themselves to see what it's all about then you KNOW that those types aren't representing Christ in those things at all. God is not an American, nor is he a member of Hillsong.

I am open to the possibility of Christianity having a positive effect on some cultures, though at various times I believe it has had a very negative effect.

That's because you're getting 'Christianity' confused with what the Bible actually teaches, and you haven't figured out that the way you tell what a person or organisation (read 'most' Churches) REALLY believes is not in what they say or who they hang out with, but in how they act. ;)

(Also there's a great book that was put out a few years back that DOCUMENTS many of the positive world-changing things that were brought about by Christ and/or his followers over the centuries. Reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Under-Influence-Alvin-J-Schmidt/dp/0310236371 )

Edited by Nooby

Yep! Heres one.

The Jewish people are often associated with wealth and with being a plague to the society to which they belong. Fourteenth-century Spain was no different. In the city of Seville, there was an archdeacon named Martinez who continually tried to incite the people to purge themselves of the "dirty" Jewish citizens. After several reproaches by the Spanish Cardinal and the Pope, Martinez finally succeeded. On Ash Wednesday (March 15,1391), Martinez incited his congregation to riot. The crowd moved enmasse towards the Juderia (Jewish quarter). Some of the participants were captured by the police and flogged or beaten, but that was not enough to stop the mob. Although they did not succeed that day to destroy the Jews, the feelings that Martinez had evoked lay simmering until June 6th when the mob sacked the Juderia of Seville. It is believed that the victims numbered in the hundreds, if not thousands (C. Roth, The Spanish Inquisition, 1964). After that episode and a few sporadic others, the Jews thought themselves to be free of those problems, but this was not to be the case.

The Crusades - What were the Crusades?

The Crusades were a series of Holy Wars launched by the Christian states of Europe against the Saracens. The term 'Saracen' was the word used to describe a Moslem during the time of the Crusades. The Crusades started in 1095 when Pope Claremont preached the First Crusade at the Council of Claremont. The Pope's preaching led to thousands immediately affixing the cross to their garments - the name Crusade given to the Holy Wars came from old French word 'crois' meaning 'cross'. The Crusades were great military expeditions undertaken by the Christian nations of Europe for the purpose of rescuing the holy places of Palestine from the hands of the Mohammedans. They were eight in number, the first four being sometimes called the Principal Crusades, and the remaining four the Minor Crusades. In addition there was a Children's Crusade. There were several other expeditions which were insignificant in numbers or results. For full details, facts and information about the crusades click one of the following links:

What was the Cause for the Crusades?

The reason for the crusades was a war between Christians and Moslems which centered around the city of Jerusalem. The City of Jerusalem held a Holy significance to the Christian religion. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem commemorated the hill of crucifixion and the tomb of Christ's burial and was visited by Pilgrims. In 1065 Jerusalem was taken by the Turks and 3000 Christians were massacred starting a chain of events which contributed to the cause of the crusades.

So what was written in the bible about turning the other cheek is bull shit.

Nooby would love for you to come to Nimbin and sit with us and have this discussion over a smoke or two.

I will stop here as we could go on for ever.:wallbash:

Edited by brick50

We actually nearly made it to Nimbin this year.... oh well, it's still on our list, when we have definite plans I'll shoot you a pm. :)

But briefly on the Crusades, what the revisionists don't tell you is that the Muslims had been violently conquering the world since about 700AD, which was 300 years prior to the RCC launching the crusades. The crusades were a military defensive action against a dangerous and rampant enemy. In fact it might have all been over for the west much earlier if not for the actions of Charles Martell at the Battle of Tours around 732ad http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/westeurope/tours.html .

As for the RCC being the one leading the action, it's not news that they were the only power at the time capable of uniting the feudal lords of Europe towards a common foe, and good thing they did. You are right though, you can't reconcile things like the crusades or the inquisition to the Christ of the scriptures but then that just highlights the difference between 'religion' and what Jesus actually taught..... of course you'd have to read it to know. Or as I said before, judge a person by their actions and not by their words, people speak all kinds of crap but they ALWAYS act according to what they really believe. ;)

Cheers

Thank you, Nooby, for your intelligent & articulate responses to some of the more inane arguments put forward. Too many confuse the actions of churches with the actions of christian teachings. What better way of corrupting God's message than to have the wolves controlling the flock. As I said previous....I don't preach but I will argue my case.

Funny...having a beer & a smoke with a mate the other day he mentioned that he believes in demons & demonic possession...but denies a God...weird!!!

Thank you, Nooby, for your intelligent & articulate responses to some of the more inane arguments put forward. Too many confuse the actions of churches with the actions of christian teachings. What better way of corrupting God's message than to have the wolves controlling the flock. As I said previous....I don't preach but I will argue my case.

Funny...having a beer & a smoke with a mate the other day he mentioned that he believes in demons & demonic possession...but denies a God...weird!!!

So you think my arguements are inane? I don't confuse Christainity with the churches. We are talking about wholesale slaughter of human beings by religions in the name of God.

Seems real easy to blame the devil when people kill other people in the name of God. Oh! He was in the catholic religion but turned to the dark side when as a catholic he organised mass slaughter.

Hypocrites.