Lobbyists to ambush Rudd with giant joint

yeah we have to be smart and stick with the facts.. who cares why it became illegal (although very interesting) because it doesn't stop us from making it legal.. the giant nimbin joint although very cool isn't very smart.. how will they change public perception with that? that should be the goal i guess.. to gently wake people up to the positives about marijuana and dispel the lies.. now we all smoke and settle down yeah ? =D peace..

How is what wrangler said about why drugs were made illegal "well said" MM? what she said is complete ignorant verbal shit!

When cannabis was made illegal in Australia, no one knew what the fuck it was!!!

It was racism that got ALL drugs made illegal and like freddie said with cannabis the cotton and wood industry got involved.

If it had ANYTHING to do with the dangers of these drugs then alcohol would be illegal too!

Edited by jabez

It was racism that got ALL drugs made illegal and like freddie said with cannabis the cotton and wood industry got involved.

If it had ANYTHING to do with the dangers of these drugs then alcohol would be illegal too!

Good points Jabez. I am of the belief that we will see reform in this area not just with cannabis but other substances too within our lifetimes. Forget what the situation is like here in Australia, we just follow the rest of the world like sheep but 10 years behind the flock. You just have to see developments that are occurring in the US, UN drug conferences and Canada where harm minimisation and even full blown control and regulation are being seriously considered.

The biggest problem i forsee though really, which is highlighted in just about every law reform thread i've ever read, even this one.... is people fighting for a common cause can't even agree with each other, what hope do we have of convincing a shitload of people it should be legalised, if we can't even convince ourselves the best way to go about it.... it just goes around and around in circles.

I'll quote myself for you Jabez.

Your one of the people im talking about, who would rather argue until your blue in the face trying to convince your opinion is the only correct one, rather than actually positively contribute.

Get over yourself, and honestly, who gives a fuck about the specific reason it became illegal, I simplified it in my ignorant verbal shit of a comment. Whats done is done, it is Illegal throughout the entire world, get over it and move on.

The reality is that things don't just become illegal for a single or even a group of reasons nessecerally

Each voting party involved in a democracy will have their own reasons or party's reasons for voting a particular way and what that was is assumption and what they have been willing to share.

It's a moot point when moving forward , what was true then isn't true now in many regards , the largest thing to overcome now is the prohabition that 3 + generations of australians have been exposed to and the lies they have been fed

Now lets keep this on topic people if you have something to add to what someone has said or disagree with them , do so in a civil manner I don't want to see anymore single line " stab post" like your stupid ect :D it doesn't do good things for your side of the issue

In terms of Legalisation,

How do you convince someone that doesn't want to be convinced? A lot of people have already made up their minds, and it doesn't matter how many facts you spout at them, true or false, their opinion will remain unchanged.

Im trying to get my head around the ideas people put foward about using the truth and facts to win people over.

There are lots of studies into cannabis and its effects, both positive and negative, how do you determine which one is correct and which is false?

So far I get the feeling the general consensus is, that any medical study that relays negative effects is immediately classed as BS and untrue, and that every study that shows positive ones are 100% correct. The reverse could be used in the exact same way for people that don't want it legalised.

How will we class these facts as the truth, when the majority if not all studies are done on small test groups, and contain many words like "may, possibly, sometimes, in some people etc"....those words are used in every study related to cannabis, they are not difinitive either for or against cannabis imo for the most part.

How will we class these facts as the truth, when the majority if not all studies are done on small test groups, and contain many words like "may, possibly, sometimes, in some people etc"....those words are used in every study related to cannabis, they are not difinitive either for or against cannabis imo for the most part.

The fact the none of us for sure knows what going on is another reason the government should loosen the ropes and atleast legalize it for research purposes.

what was true then isn't true now in many regards , the largest thing to overcome now is the prohabition that 3 + generations of australians have been exposed to and the lies they have been fed

Exactly. However I might just add, that it is important for us to understand why it was made illegal in the first place because it can help in our debate. To be able dispel the concerns that were expressed in the past and prove to the present how it really is and how things have changed.

In a debate you can not just go on in head on with your facts. You have to be able to use the current beliefs and past ones too, against your opponent.. You can not argue for the greater good of something and not represent all aspects of it. People may think that the big joint is a bad idea but that is only because of the stigma attached to it. This concept that the joint is bad is just another myth to dispel. Yes, the conservative way would be to get proper good PR and don't disagree, and I would be one of the suits, but I am not going to not have the joint imo.