Lets have an Australia wide march in each capitol city

Buckets and buckets of cash are needed to fight all the bad propaganda put out on cannabis.

Sorry to be pessimistic guys but we are being pushed backwards at a rate of knots just now.

Nah! It's easier than ever to get people's attention. Esp. with the internet. Even dumb things, like in any other forums you are on - change your sig to something like "I smoke weed and I'm not schizo" - anything! Youtube, etc, all you need to do is cause a bit of controversy and hey presto it's an issue again, then mass media will follow it

Agree with those who mentioned publicity.

We're still hard pressed trying to change some peoples perceptions of cannabis.

e.g. Just did a google search, aus only, on the word 'cannabis'. The first 3 pages of links were all anti cannabis propaganda sites or seizure stories. Well the last link on the 3rd page was on our side...

How about some publicized charity fundraising events. Friends of cannabis present 'charity A' with this cheque for $. Ring the papers and tv, get them there to see the cheque with a big mull leaf on it.

'Greenhouse gas reducing' Tree plantings - another plantation of native trees, propagated, donated and planted by friends of cannabis. Call the tv, papers again.

Good luck with it and offer anon support.

yes, problem is the perception that people have of drug users and the negative stereotypes that exist. The powers who be have been damned smart in what they have done to unify (compare) cannabis to all other drugs. To quote Christopher Pyne - Howards health minister: " Cannabis should be seen in the same light as other plant based narcotics such as heroin and cocaine." To the general public that's scary stuff. I know as a parent that it would scare me if I didn't know better. There is this new cannabis called hydro skunk and one toke and you're gone... Man - that'd scare me into locking up the wife and kids and never stepping out the door again.

How do you create positive stereotypes about any drug whether that be tobacco, alcohol, or cannabis?

My problem with all of this is smokers, users, growers and dealers have done a lot of this to themselves by walking into courts and talking about their remorse, their addiction, their fall into spiraling mj addiction and the rest so that they can avoid prison. Who can blame them but it was the culture that shot themselves in the foot by playing the party line and giving them even more ammunition from the horses mouth.

It will be a tough one to sell but I agree = media is the only way to do it.

First page of this thread the Nimbin Mardi Grass was poo pooed, not sure why?

If you want to see 10 000 die hard pot smokers in one place then it's at Mardi Grass.

Nimbin is empowering, it takes some nuts to drive in with pot past the cops, to share with your friends

It's a great place to start if your serious. Go check out the Hemp Bar if you want to see activism in action. Those cats walk the walk even if they aren't hydro savvy, poor hippies :P

also I think it was Downunderdoper? who started a similar information thread about a year ago, do a search under his posts and I'm sure you'll find some excellent medical study links. I'll look for the thread later. :D

Thing is Bufo, those supposive "cats" of Nimbin have been at it for nearly 40 years 'n the best they managed, was the demonizing of hydroponically grown pot. Fucken yay for them... :P

Nimbinite's just need to organize the mardi-grass 'n stop trying to bring about change with cannabis laws within Oz. I for one, seriously think they do more harm than good towards reform within Australia, with their approach. It's old, it's stale 'n it's clearly not working.

A "FRESH" change is needed.

yeah well said bufo.

Mardi Grass is easily the biggest event for Australian stoners year after year.

If you were serious about activism you'd be in there amongst it, getting support for your point of view, or perhaps talking with some of the community leaders in Nimbin about a better approach. Set up a stand in Peace Park and spread your ideas.

Sitting on your arse and throwing stones from behind an anonymous internet handle doesn't carry a lot of weight. On the other hand, these guys are standing up in open defiance of the laws, and the pigs, and putting their freedom on the line.

Its hard for me to understand how people can show them such disrespect, especially when no one else is doing anything.

Thing is Bufo, those supposive "cats" of Nimbin have been at it for nearly 40 years 'n the best they managed, was the demonizing of hydroponically grown pot. Fucken yay for them... :D

Nimbinite's just need to organize the mardi-grass 'n stop trying to bring about change with cannabis laws within Oz. I for one, seriously think they do more harm than good towards reform within Australia, with their approach. It's old, it's stale 'n it's clearly not working.

A "FRESH" change is needed.

I agree Indy car, I heard this thing on Triple J years ago called "Green Smack". It was the Nimbin mob bitching about hydro, how addictive it was and how strong it was. They came out with the strangest comments like if you smoked the hydro nutes you would get stoned. It struck me as mad that those who have fought to legalise then turned into those who were demonising the very thing they sought to legalise in a very public way. I also blame the hippies for global warming (anti nukes - keep burning coal,,,, yeah thanks for that) and world starvation. Wish the bastards would just stick to saving whales and trees and leave the rest of it alone. :P

Anyone thought of putting an online poll on the net to hold a referendum for legalisation. If the government won't give us a referendum we could hold one of our own? Make an interactive thing where people put in their name and yes or no to legalisation. A sort of petition that could run for a year (maybe two), that could be widely advertised via forums, banners, links and hard copy advertising. Maybe have some way of legally validating it by having people enter their TFN or electoral roll details. Once someone has voted they are on data base and can't vote again. Make it a world wide thing but break it down country to country. You'd be possibly talking about millions of votes for and against and this would undoubtedly create a stir with the media when the petition is handed to the various countries parliaments. Take the issue global, create noise, engage the net community and get everyone talking. Use the Net to create real democracy where people get their say on issues.

Edited by mullray

Sitting on your arse and throwing stones from behind an anonymous internet handle doesn't carry a lot of weight. On the other hand, these guys are standing up in open defiance of the laws, and the pigs, and putting their freedom on the line.

Its hard for me to understand how people can show them such disrespect, especially when no one else is doing anything.

Well done pipe, typical of you to bring out the lame old shit time and time again. Same old tune, mightier than thou crap, and all for what? All because you chose to speculate about one's actions. Piss weak of you Pipe, but suppose one shouldn't expect much else outta ya. :P

Go piss around in Peace Park like ya's do year after year 'n achieve the same result. Nimbinnite's and other stoners preachin' in the bush, amounts to about the same as me takin' a piss in the bush, SFA...

:D