Lets have an Australia wide march in each capitol city

After chatting with some other members we decided to see if there was any interest in getting a large number of people in each state/capitol city to march on Parlament to protest against the unjust laws regarding Cannabis. Let us know if you would be interested, could you help lead one? Have you got contacts we could all use to increase the numbers, this includes Doctors, infact anyone from the medical profession, and the legal profession too? We do not want this to be a hippy style protest or mardi gras we need to show that not all users are what the media pushes and the government tries to show to allow them to keep these laws in place. We need to turn up looking like the everyday average joe, who works for a living and who looks professional.

This is not a shot at Nimbin or those involved in that area, we just feel we need to show the other side of this issue.

Please lets do this and lets get it right.

This is Gibbo's suggestion I thought it belonged here at the top. Thank you Gibbo

In this thread id like everyone to post any information they find regarding things like possible legal avenues, scientific research and survey results. ideas, ways to spread the word around etc etc but lets keep in mind most importantly of all, that this is NOT a LEGALISE cannabis march and that should be kept firmly in mind.... we need to decide EXACTLY what we are fighting for, as in what do we want? just the right to possess cannabis? if so how much? should we push for the legalisation of personal indoor/outdoor growing? once again if so how much is 'personal'?, should we put it to them that we would have no problem with organising a medicinal 'register' whereby a doctor/psychiatrist etc would run through the risks with you and make sure you understand the effects of the drug before you are allowed to grow?, how do countries like europe fare with having it legal?. What we do not want is bad publicity, violent protests and the like.

I think we need to begin by collecting as much information as we can and posting it here, as a central database sort of deal.

Edited by littlbit

OK in here we are just looking for suggestions, also who would be interested in marching or working to put together a march, anything that might fire up the complacent.

The link I put up gives all the information on what happened in Canada in the courts and how the managed to overturn the laws there, I think we all need to look at it.

I'm wondering if there's like a cannabis friendly cafe or some other place that a 'meet' could be arranged for a certain time and date...discuss the options, see how many turn up...no laws against public gatherings to discuss things is there?!

Ask everyone to bring along someone that supports them, and like you say if that happens to be a Dr, Lawyer etc then the more the merrier.

I too, feel very strongly about this cause and as I said in our chat session, I think this is the place where we need to put down anything which could be useful to our cause - and as Stoney said lets KEEP THIS ON TOPIC...

In this thread id like everyone to post any information they find regarding things like possible legal avenues, scientific research and survey results. ideas, ways to spread the word around etc etc but lets keep in mind most importantly of all, that this is NOT a LEGALISE cannabis march and that should be kept firmly in mind.... we need to decide EXACTLY what we are fighting for, as in what do we want? just the right to possess cannabis? if so how much? should we push for the legalisation of personal indoor/outdoor growing? once again if so how much is 'personal'?, should we put it to them that we would have no problem with organising a medicinal 'register' whereby a doctor/psychiatrist etc would run through the risks with you and make sure you understand the effects of the drug before you are allowed to grow?, how do countries like europe fare with having it legal?. What we do not want is bad publicity, violent protests and the like.

I think we need to begin by collecting as much information as we can and posting it here, as a central database sort of deal.

One of the first ideas i'd like to put forward are that we think of ways in which we can CHANGE THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION of cannabis.... whether that be by flyer drops etc listing scientific research, personal medicinal experiences etc etc but at the moment I feel that because it is classed with amphetamines and the like we are at a serious disadvantage! We need to remind people that it is less dangerous than alcohol and many prescription drugs, yet has many more benifits in alot of cases!

Lets think outside the box, and can I just also mention that NEGATIVITY HAS NO PLACE HERE. Constructive criticism is fine but dont bother posting if all your gonna say is 'it wont work'. We have a new government, which apparently preaches that 'factual changes to policy will be considered' - so lets get the FACTS out there, rather than letting this common perception that cannabis turns people into schizophrenics!

Edited by Gibbo

Morgaine: perhaps we could meet at someones home, have a BBQ etc, that way we can make notes of what each person is prepared to do, what we all need to do, and how to go about it.

Gibbo we have a lot of the information you are talking about, I have medical research results, government white papers where every one asks why the plant is illegal because every research that has been done and every test it has ever been put through says this plant is too valuable to be banned. I also have bookmarked many of the sites that lists all the uses known so far and some things they are trying it out on.

You are both right we need to ensure we get this right and find out how to really go about it. I will do some research and find out how to go about what we want to do. There are heaps of activists web sites out there, non violent is one big issue we need to make dam sure that there is no trouble.

We do need lots of suggestions please people HELP the FIGHT and lets get it right.

Well, I'll be the first in W.A. to put up my hand for an organising session. I'm not able to offer my place as a meet for Perth members, but we could certainly get together in a park or public place for an informal discussion at least. Of course, there are security considerations by the members here, but with a private guest list I'm sure we could allay at least some of those (somewhat justified) concerns some might have....

I would put forward that first off the block would be an education campaign on the subject. Co-ordinated LTE's and leaflet drops across the central city, (the white collar workers are the ones who need convincing of the subject IMHO) would be a good start....

Well it has been suggested to me to start my own thread about collection of info etc, and while I see what was meant, I believe what I said tied in with doing a march... because if we do march, we need to have already worked out exactly what we are going to say, to both the government, and the people who are following us! You can't just march with thousands of people who all have different ideas of why we are marching.... and to organise a march you need to get the word out etc. but littlbit feel free to suggest I do ask for these things to be put elsewhere.

edit: but yes, this thread does need to be about the march itself (as much as advertising and changing public opinon etc is sorta needed to get the numbers), but lets try keep it to that topic.

Edited by Gibbo

hey,

Those in chat heard my views and you have to understand that while we all know its for the better good of us all. Alot wont stand up to be counted.. what are you offering them for standin up and being counted?? how we are portraid to everyone is of utmost importance. What does the media show us of cannabis??? this is what you need to change...

Everyone can all have their own place in this movement.. but you need to work out what needs to be done... what approach to the problem are we taking as a whole.. who can help with what..

an anon database of how cannabis has helped people in their own lifes.. broken into

how and for what disease it is used medicinally..

how and for what disease it is digested..

how and for what disease it is vapourised ..

etc etc etc

now this would be worth nothing unless everyone who adds a message while anon must be willing to stand up and be counted.. Then you could goto the ppl that be with a list .. If they dont believe it pick 1 in 50 ? 1 in 100 ? and take them before them to stand tall and tell their story.. This way you can have a list that says so many blue collar, so many white collar, so many nurses, doctors, teachers, bus drivers, engineers, mechanics, cops, judges lawyers, pollies etc etc... this way you show them you have the numbers..

with this coalition of ppl behind the movement you can send your groups mission statement to the media the governent and if they wont listen or run your story on medicinal cannabis etc we all as a whole stand strong and dont buy a paper.. dont visit their websites ... really want to show the ppl that be dont buy fuel for a week :peace: .. or all take a day off work.. now how many ppl might not support us but they will take the day off and make us seams all that much stronger.. :peace: just think if as a whole we stopped a proffession a week on certain day...

But is this for the good of cannabis, the bad of cannabis or the ugly of cannabis will never know.....

p.s -- " you" is not a person but the movement as a whole... we is the movement .. and my or I doesnt matter cause I will never stand up to be counted but could be useful with a silent voice... like it or not this is my stance :peace: and the stance of alot of others... but how can you say that you dont want or need us if we show u the negatives... everyone has a right to speak their mind and while you may not agree we as a whole might.... to have the good you need the bad and the ugly just dont have to show them us all just the ones they want to see..... :peace: