Help With Growing Tomatoes ?

Budman, I haven't gone back in this thread too far to see if I'm getting this straight, but to do with the electric fence and cattle..

I've had quiet a lot to do with this, I lived on a cattle property (a few really) for a good few years, with no house fence, just an electric fence to keep them out of the gardens, house area..And I used a portable one for keping my grass safe too.

They do just walk under the fences don't they? Once they get used to it, there's always one or two, that no matter just how well the fence is operating, they'll slip their heads under, and run the wire over their body quick, just taking it as it comes.

But a decent electric fence ought to stop 99% of them, and the problem's very often a weak earth peg, or no earth wire. You'd know the two methods for stringing it up.

I always pissed on the earth peg, as water is always scarce, and given the present drought, I just wanted to mention this incase you haven't wet that peg lately.

If that's not the case, just run a number of wires, so they can't slip it up over their necks easily. If the buggers get it on the nose, there isn't a bovine made yet that can cop that. Unless that fence is running weak as I say, and that's usually an earth problem.

Just the same, it's my experience (and I've heard contrary) that the bludgers rarely worry the dope anyway. the wallabies and roos caused little damage either really. Although when it's dry the wallabies wille at them to the ground when hard pressed.

The cattle are far more likely I think to do more damage standing or projecting huge watery crap on them.

I'd stick with the electric fence, unl;ess you can string up at least 3 well tensioned bar wires with reasonibly relaible strain. Using any other fencing materialwon't even slow the buggers down. They march over netting and any other material I can think of as if it's not there.

Anyway, best of luck.

rob

B)

Hey Thx Pipeman , well , the two mongish runty ones are on the left , they were seeds I've had for about 12 years , and they came from about 6-8 tiny little plants That I grew I think in winter , they were no more than 20cm tall ... they all grew a few little , very sticky , all purple Budz that smelled like passionfruit ... I left a male around , and got some nice seeds from them ... SO I really have no clue as to what they are or how they will grow , along with most of the rest of the plants ... But I like surprises ..

And the 3 Outside are already 50days old , and yes they have the potential to grow pretty large I reckon :P

B)

And Cheerz Robbie , Thx for all your advice ... lol

The fence is not really my responsiblity , as I am renting here , But it is my problem aswell :P I believe we need at least one more strand because yes your right , they just put their head thru and run the top wire along their back , doesn't seem to phaze em ... and yes , It's always the same few , and 1 inparticular. A young male Bull who I'm starting to dislike very much lol

But It is actually the neighbours resposibility , because he should keep his fucken cows out of other peoples property , But don't wanna start a shitfight aye .. and hes actually a nice guy too so ...

Um ... yeah , the earth peg has been moved and It's in always moist soil , the fence has been tested and should be fine ...

Some of the cows just jump it too .. sometimes get their legs caught ... really is a pain ... I still think Barbed wire is the way to go , and gotta be strong as you would know ... Most places I know still use Barbed wire with good success ...

Anywayz , Hopefully we'll get it sorted soon , And If I can find a Mallet or something soon , I'll be peggin off the patch anyway , That will deter them somewhat ...

Sometimes I think that Bull is purposely trying to piss me off tho ... Its in here every single day lol

Oh Well ... We'll get it sorted eventually.

O.k. SOrry for the rambling replies ... On with an update Pic ...

post-8241-1161503675_thumb.jpg They are 2weeks old tomorrow :)

Bye 4 Now B)

Budman lol

Yeah young bulls, usually around the yearly to two year mark are always the worst. Seems like all "young bulls" are hard to control around adolesence hey? lol

Didn't mean to tell you "what for" either, just remembered a couple times myself forgetting to piss on the peg, and the fence being useless as a result. Jusy thinkin aloud probably..

My little fence was one of those portable coke can shaped jobs which run on 4D size batteries. A mate that's been runnng cattle since he was born kinda thing laughed at it, but we measured it with one of those testers, and it generated more kick than the 240 volt kits. I think the mains power one put out 8 or 9 hundred whatevers, and the battery one was closer to a thousand. Does that sound right? If not, the genral idea is, the porta job had more grunt.

Half ya luck, have fun mate

rob

Hey Budman, can you get the fella to give you some gear like star pickets etc? Or will he help, or whatever?

First strain the hotwire so they cant jump it :peace:. Then just insulate and heat a second wire lower down and even the young ones wont go thro. You want to have the wire up round 6kv. Once it drops lower check for shorts, or the source. Whack the earth stake in near a shed downpipe, or tough, or windmind/bore. Moist ground.

Yeah Robbie your portable would give a good nudge! The shorter the run the less voltage drop to. Whack zzt.

GIToutofit MOOer's!!

Yeah young bulls, usually around the yearly to two year mark are always the worst. Seems like all "young bulls" are hard to control around adolesence hey? :punk:

Didn't mean to tell you "what for" either, just remembered a couple times myself forgetting to piss on the peg, and the fence being useless as a result. Jusy thinkin aloud probably..

My little fence was one of those portable coke can shaped jobs which run on 4D size batteries. A mate that's been runnng cattle since he was born kinda thing laughed at it, but we measured it with one of those testers, and it generated more kick than the 240 volt kits. I think the mains power one put out 8 or 9 hundred whatevers, and the battery one was closer to a thousand. Does that sound right? If not, the genral idea is, the porta job had more grunt.

Half ya luck, have fun mate

rob

Hey Robbie ,

No worries at all , I've done a little work around around farms , not much , just a bit of handy work ..

I appreciate your advice , because I Don't really know a whole heap about Electric fencing ... cept it goes Zap! lol

I beleive oldmate said when he measured it that it was running as it should , about 8 I beleive he said ...

And yeah , Earthing Peg is near a downpipe , always moist where the peg is ...

And the whole problem should be fixed soon anyway ... Bull won't be around much longer hopefully :punk:

Cheerz

And Thx Jag , I'll keep that in mind ... B) Masticating Bovines ... yes they seem to do that alot ; ) (Howz your garden goin mate?) ...

I aspire to have a garden lookin and runnin so well in the future ... But for now , It's just a simple lazy-style garden : )

And Hey Mulla lol Thx mate , It's not always easy aye ... Big long fences and everyone always short of cash ... can only do so much sometimes ... It'll be o.k. soon : )

Imo Star pickets just aren't good enough , same as the Lectric string ... Cows are really fucken heavy ... They can just bellyflop on top of any fence and bend it down ...

Big wooden posts and heavy duty barbed wire is the way to go .. Theres a good business for that these days it seems ...

But as I said ... It's gettin sorted (slowly) ; )

O.k. ... I did well i think keepin it that short , I could ramble on for hours about these things ... ahhh , the joys of livin in the country .. :punk:

So ... I'm thinkin of startin a 'Grow Diary' now that everything is nearly sorted and me Mullies are gettin sorted ... Whatchu reckon?? :peace:

But I like this thread too tho ... I'll post more photos of my garden here as It gets goin , albeit they will be discreet ones , can't show whole garden for security reasons ; )

A quick photo and I'm outta here ... post-8241-1161610406_thumb.jpg ... nah , thats a crap one , but the big ones goin in the garden anyday now , and gettin well bent over ...

Heres a Better Pic of one from the cupboard ... post-8241-1161610660_thumb.jpg ... this ones goin in the garden most definatly : )

O.k. .. I hope I didn't rave on too much ... Thanx for your replies :peace:

Budman ;)

:peace:

High All .. Just a Quick Pic Update ...

I thought this plant was a little sparse and may be a male , So I decided to tip It ...

I don't do alot of tipping so I thought I would , as I have a few plants to play with ...

post-8241-1161961259_thumb.jpg Tipped a few days before this photo ...

post-8241-1161961646_thumb.jpg A week or so after Tipped again the main Branches , and then Tied down not long after (Would have been best to wait for new Branches to take off , but hey , It was a spur of moment idea) ...

post-8241-1161962175_thumb.jpg And A few days later ... starting to accept the given situation Well ... The two new shoots on each side ar comin up , I'm not sure the lower single ones will catch up tho ..

I'm just leavin that one In It's pot ... It's not impressing me too much ...

Here is the same strain which are both Gettin too big for their pots now ...

post-8241-1161963008_thumb.jpg The Smaller one .. and ... The Bigger one post-8241-1161963336_thumb.jpg

Hahah , and just to test the new upload limit .. one more shot of whats goin on inside ..

post-8241-1161963878_thumb.jpg They had been watered not long before and are goin to rest for a few hours .. my timings aren't perfect but It seems to be goin fine .. Also obviously these plants need to be moved outside/transplanted as soon as possible .. Won't be long now ..

But I am thinkin of Flowering a few small ones in the cupboard .. With less plants there will be better airflow and 12/12 thru the night wouldn't get the temps up too much .. In fact I dare say I might ... :freak:

Anyhoo , Cheerz :peace:

Budman :peace: