Tunks terrible LED light build.

Just waiting for wiring instructions / confirmation before I stick the strips on, but the frame is done. I left the panels loose on the bolts so they can slide along. Can even slide to one end for easier carriage [emoji6]

e0227963044c2ee5011db62559136a30.jpg

This should actually cover a 4' x 4' area..

So next expensive part of the build was the U channel I picked up down the local metal yard $47.50. They cut it all for me so all I had to do was drill holes in the ends and pick up the bolts, nuts, carabiner and straps to hang. $23.60 all up.

Total so far is $522.90 and very little labour. Hoping the wiring part won't give me too much grief. Won't be any soldering involved, and I'm pretty sure it's just matching + / - on the strips back to the driver output.

Edited by Tunkers

Was almost in rock n roll mode..

post-60317-151738307257_thumb.jpeg

See the dead diodes on the second strip? Bastards...

I've emailed digikey to let them know they sent me a dud, fingers crossed I'll have a new one sent asap. Other then that, these things worked brilliantly! Burned 4 vertical strips into my eyeballs. The photo doesn't show just how fucking bright these things are!

Wiring it all up was so much easier then I was expecting. Here's a quick run down on how I did it.

post-60317-151738334178_thumb.jpeg

Used an old plug off some appliance that was broken for the input.

post-60317-151738341287_thumb.jpeg

Attached the outputs to a thick gauge power cable and then split into 4 smaller gauge cable for the strips.

post-60317-151738351555_thumb.jpeg

I know this looks dodgy with all the red wire but the thicker insulated wire is - and the thinner insulated one is +

The stripped wire literally slides and locks into the ends which are marked + / - so there's no confusion

post-60317-151738362548_thumb.jpeg

post-60317-151738368848_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Tunkers

Forgot to add in how I attached the pcbs to my U channel. You can screw them on if you felt the need but I had this double sided glue tape stuff from a past project that worked great.

2a9773b69edff23d16a4b6b00bea3171.jpg

So with the price of the terminal connectors $7.19 in total I spent $530.09 on total build.

6fa45310c1d364fdfdff787751703a46.jpg

Edited by Tunkers
  • Upvote 1