Bogan's backyard!

Who has a worm farm?

Last month I decided to get a worm cafe https://www.bunnings.com.au/reln-garden-3-tier-worm-cafe-worm-farm_p3160013 and some worms https://www.bunnings.com.au/dr-worms-1200-essential-kit_p3010124 all was pretty simple to set up, and tucked in the corner of the garden...0a75988af7f2d9d5fdbb9cbcbc0b602a.jpgf2ca7a1aa1d17d75daa7912a353d7dd9.jpg36ecbabe663fbe261b2acbf71ee3b832.jpgde6c23e80a0d2411a6aaa7a45c563d8c.jpg9264474f4f6b2a87ad5de7207dc1a2bd.jpg so last time I fed them was when I set them up with kitchen scraps and eggshells... So I check on them this morning and there's absolutely no food scraps left and they started chewing on the blanket (wet news paper)

Anyway, is there any specific organic matter I can feed my worm cafe to boost the worm castings?

I put a few comfrey leaves in there for them while I consult the community!

Thanks for reading Yo!

yep i got me a worm farm 

the prob with kitchen scrapes are seeds , worm farming is cold composting basically 

only with hot or thermophilic composting do you destroy seeds in the process 

if seeds popping up all over is not your thing , then keeping kitchen scrapes , especially seeded scrapes

out of the bin is a good thing

as far as what to feed the worms just think what do i want to give my plants  

there are guys setting up worm farms in 20gal geopots & using everything they 

put in there soil mix pretty much including scoria / aeration so they can at some point 

transplant straight into the geo worm farm 

some of the best casting come from almost finished compost , which is a good base feed 

leaf mold , that layer at the bottom of a leaf pile , wet , black & not quite broken down yet is another good base feed ( base feed = main volume )

as you said comfrey , lucerne , straw , kelp , neem , rock dust , gypsum , dolomite ( BTW pretty sure the compost conditioner = dolomite )

egg shell , oyster shell , grass clippings , cardboard , malted barley powder & as you found out news paper 

apart form a base feed which you could mix with peat or coco , a bit of everything is good , things like cardboard or news paper , even straw 

won't really put anything special in the system but the worms enjoy eating it 

somewhere in this 3 part interview with clackamas coot aka Jim Bennett , he speaks about his geopot worm farm he plants into when composted

https://youtu.be/gW96L6Qycms 

yep i got me a worm farm

the prob with kitchen scrapes are seeds , worm farming is cold composting basically

only with hot or thermophilic composting do you destroy seeds in the process

if seeds popping up all over is not your thing , then keeping kitchen scrapes , especially seeded scrapes

out of the bin is a good thing

as far as what to feed the worms just think what do i want to give my plants

there are guys setting up worm farms in 20gal geopots & using everything they

put in there soil mix pretty much including scoria / aeration so they can at some point

transplant straight into the geo worm farm

some of the best casting come from almost finished compost , which is a good base feed

leaf mold , that layer at the bottom of a leaf pile , wet , black & not quite broken down yet is another good base feed ( base feed = main volume )

as you said comfrey , lucerne , straw , kelp , neem , rock dust , gypsum , dolomite ( BTW pretty sure the compost conditioner = dolomite )

egg shell , oyster shell , grass clippings , cardboard , malted barley powder & as you found out news paper

apart form a base feed which you could mix with peat or coco , a bit of everything is good , things like cardboard or news paper , even straw

won't really put anything special in the system but the worms enjoy eating it

somewhere in this 3 part interview with clackamas coot aka Jim Bennett , he speaks about his geopot worm farm he plants into when composted

https://youtu.be/gW96L6Qycms

Thanks itchy, that answered all my questions!

Figured at some of the prices I see castings advertised it be worth having a go and the big advantage is I know what's in my castings! That geopot worm composting sounds fun!

Was there meant to be a video?[emoji16] [emoji16]

Thanks itchy, that answered all my questions!

Figured at some of the prices I see castings advertised it be worth having a go and the big advantage is I know what's in my castings! That geopot worm composting sounds fun!

Was there meant to be a video?[emoji16] [emoji16]

that's the number 1 thing about almost everything , if i made it , i know what's in it 

yes coot is right into his worm farm / planter

nu no vid just audio 

Edited by itchybromusic