First grow

Some people like using them. So they must do a fairly good job.

They do? Oh, that's interesting. Thank you. I've got my little seedlings in Solo Cups but they're not growing. A week now. I re-potted a few cos they were too lanky (I've put another LED on) and I noticed at the bottom of the cups the coco was muddy. I put more bigger drainage holes in. But how often should I be watering with my pH'ed, Epsom salted, Rhizo water? Cos everyday is not working! So 2 or 3 days?

Btw; the mods & members of this site have been SO helpful and obliging to newbish, clueless me. I really appreciate it.

Hi Annabanana [emoji4] that's okay. I sure they can recover by putting them closer to the light. Mine seemed to do so. Top up your cups with the coco/perlite. I also make sure they have a decent amount of air flowing onto them to build their stem strength. Hope this helps I'm so new to this haha everything is just trial and error at this stage. [emoji1317][emoji1317]

Hey Brittany! How are the babies? Mine aren't doing much at all. I think I'm overwatering the Solo Cups and didn't have big enough drainage holes in the bottoms. I finally got some feminized seeds in the post (my seedlings are 'regulars') so I'm hoping to iron out my problems with this false start so I can treat these BigBud I'm germinating just right! As a Mum, it's instinctive to water/nurture everyday! So I'm gonna back off for a few days and see what happens. Let me know where yours are at when you have time. x

They do? Oh, that's interesting. Thank you. I've got my little seedlings in Solo Cups but they're not growing. A week now. I re-potted a few cos they were too lanky (I've put another LED on) and I noticed at the bottom of the cups the coco was muddy. I put more bigger drainage holes in. But how often should I be watering with my pH'ed, Epsom salted, Rhizo water? Cos everyday is not working! So 2 or 3 days?

Btw; the mods & members of this site have been SO helpful and obliging to newbish, clueless me. I really appreciate it.

you probably only need to water once if that in your first week, if you're doing it every day you will be drowning the poor roots. they need air as much as water, and they don't need any more water until the pot is drying out which takes a long time when there are no roots to drink it up

repotting is stressful for the plant too (especially if it 's a week old) which will stunt it's growth, just leave it alone and it will do fine. a good tip is to only fill the seedling pots 2/3 of the way so you can top up and support lanky stems without needing to repot.

• Upvote 1

Ppm is literally halving ec hashy.

Eg 0.8 / 2 is 400ppm

0.9 = 450 etc

Now you know :)

just to elaborate on this slightly, there are 3 different scales for EC to PPM depending on the meter and conversion so it's not always 0.5 but can be 0.5 to 0.7 ish.

most I believe use the 0.5 conversion scale, my PPM meter does so it's quite easy to convert to EC

Epsom salted ,and rhizo. For first week ?? All I'd give them is about 1 fifth or slightly weaker nutrient solution.

Though I don't use either of those products so I don't know if it's good or not good for them at this stage.

Hey Brittany! How are the babies? Mine aren't doing much at all. I think I'm overwatering the Solo Cups and didn't have big enough drainage holes in the bottoms. I finally got some feminized seeds in the post (my seedlings are 'regulars') so I'm hoping to iron out my problems with this false start so I can treat these BigBud I'm germinating just right! As a Mum, it's instinctive to water/nurture everyday! So I'm gonna back off for a few days and see what happens. Let me know where yours are at when you have time. x

Hey Annabanana, I have had to do the same. I fed mine way to ugh nutrients as they were 2.5 weeks old. I started to feed mine root 79 after 2 weeks. They responded well. It wasn't until I added further nutes that killed them. I decided not to even bother so I ripped them out and started again. The leaves were going yellow and very dry!

On the bright side I have 6 new germinated seedlings. I have been away for the past 3 days so a friend has been looking after them. I will let you know how they are going tmoro when I arrive home [emoji4] how are yours going ?

• Upvote 1

Hey Annabanana, I have had to do the same. I fed mine way to ugh nutrients as they were 2.5 weeks old. I started to feed mine root 79 after 2 weeks. They responded well. It wasn't until I added further nutes that killed them. I decided not to even bother so I ripped them out and started again. The leaves were going yellow and very dry!

On the bright side I have 6 new germinated seedlings. I have been away for the past 3 days so a friend has been looking after them. I will let you know how they are going tmoro when I arrive home [emoji4] how are yours going ?

I've been too busy to check in but I was reading somewhere that reckoned my babies (nearly 2 weeks old) would be starving cos they're not in soil! So today I fed them a bit less than half what the Coco nutrients suggested for seedlings/cuttings. And the coco was mostly completely dry. I tested the run off water and the pH was stable. My biggest worry, other than what I've just read about not giving any nutes, is my tap water ppm of 350....after 24 hours of sitting in buckets. Does this mean buying water? What sort?

Brittany, I'm sorry to hear about your 1st batch. But live & learn! We'll have this indoor growing hobby down soon. Then look out, cos us girls are gonna be growing some super, sweet, sticky girls of our own!

My tap water starts with an EC around 300-400, but I manage fine with it.  It's worth getting an EC meter rather than following packet directions, partly because it doesn't account for starting EC in your water, partly as packet directions are usually way too strong, partly due to the addition of additives further raising EC, and also as a way of managing strength accurately once you know where your plants like it.  If you like manufacturer directions that's fine, mix to bottle directions then add water to bring the EC down to where needed, then adjust PH.

Seedlings can manage in hydro for a week or 2 with no nutes, but it's worth adding a small amount so they don't have to totally rely on what they start with.  An EC around 0.8 is good for the 1st week, and allows for some of what's needed on top of your starting EC.