Led grow lights

I am interested in the LED technology on this new product. I hope to see the results!

Thanks N3ro, the lights being new here, approx Dec 1, we only expect feedback in Feb\March, however there are plenty good pics from USA and Europe (search instagram) showing some amazing grows with the Solarsystem 550, no reason Australia should not be same :-)

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners mobile app

I don't really know anything about LED's mate, what does PPFD stand for? i was thinking if i increased the wattage to my limit for this light i would get even more intensity is this correct? all though the brightness i have at 70cm off the floor is very bright i may even run into bleaching problems

alot of the guys i was reading about who are running these LED's were highly recommending buying a ballast or driver witch is dimmable, i don't have this option as my drive cost $21

I should have explained the acronyms sorry, PPFD is Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density it doesn't make it any easier to understand but essentially it's the usuable light the plants can use or something like that from what I can understand, that and par watts and more important to understand than just pure watts. There are some drivers where you can wire on your own dimmer. The dimmer would probably just be a 100K ohm potentiometer. Meanwell HLG B model drivers usually allow dimming

Edited by eestapak

this thread is actually taking off and im loving the research you guys have put into COBs, I knew you could buy the chips off ebay but I'm floored seeing people actually constructing their own lights. Thank you to the members making a very well researched input!

You could buy some cobs off of Ebay but there is an Australian store named Cutter Electronics http://www.cutter.com.au/ which sell Cree Chips which are probably miles plus a few more better than Ebay chips. Alternatively if you want to buy some without much warranty but still assured they're legitimate and working chips you could shop from Kingbrite. Jerry who runs the store has respect from just about everything making COB lights and is very professional. https://kingbriteled.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html is his store. Cheapest you'll find them but you have no real warranty so there is that but they're not dodgy.

The idea is more chips at lower power to cover greater area and therefore introducing more light to the area which plants can actually use as opposed to just blasting the area with so much light and the plant only using such a little amount of that. LED's are all about efficiency.

You could buy some cobs off of Ebay but there is an Australian store named Cutter Electronics http://www.cutter.com.au/ which sell Cree Chips which are probably miles plus a few more better than Ebay chips. Alternatively if you want to buy some without much warranty but still assured they're legitimate and working chips you could shop from Kingbrite. Jerry who runs the store has respect from just about everything making COB lights and is very professional. https://kingbriteled.en.alibaba.com/productlist.html is his store. Cheapest you'll find them but you have no real warranty so there is that but they're not dodgy.

The idea is more chips at lower power to cover greater area and therefore introducing more light to the area which plants can actually use as opposed to just blasting the area with so much light and the plant only using such a little amount of that. LED's are all about efficiency.

From what i have gathered is with the LED COB's u reach a point where the COB's produce more heat than light and they are less efficient in working heat wise, i shouldn't have this problem because mine are fan cooled and i am only running them to 50% there capacity

the downside is i will have to raise my lights higher but doing so should give me a wider coverage even if i am using more power :)

Hi Billdampier, how long have you been running the Mars LED's? Asking as I hear they usually break around or before the 12 month mark and Mars asks that you do own repairs with stuff the mail to you. Maybe not the case with yours. But mars vs some of the USA lights does not last long.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners mobile app

Hi Quick Bloom lights. Sorry, just logged in for the first time in weeks.

I've had the Mars LED's for about 2 years. I've grown a variety of fruit and veg (and flowers) and the results are pretty good. Having said that, I'm a complete noob to indoor growing so I only have what I've seen online to compare with.

Hi Quick Bloom lights. Sorry, just logged in for the first time in weeks.

I've had the Mars LED's for about 2 years. I've grown a variety of fruit and veg (and flowers) and the results are pretty good. Having said that, I'm a complete noob to indoor growing so I only have what I've seen online to compare with.

You can convert that into a cob!

BOGAN

Yesterday i searched Youtube for videos and i typed in "LED floodlight grow" and believe it someone has done it with impressive results, this bloke uploaded a few videos on the grow his plant has to be around 80-90cm wide bushy as fuck all from a 140watt (really a 100watt) LED flood light

i than watched another lengthy video where a guy grew tomato clones under a floodlight and a flood grow light, the floodlight being full spectrum way out grew the one under the grow flood light