FIWH's adventures with lacto bacillus and fermented ferts

ok so once my lacto serum split into 3 layers i used a siphon to extract the middle layer, its a clear/cloudy slimey layer that was quite thick and smelled a little like sick up, not a strong smell but it was there.

post-46013-0-75943500-1431595716_thumb.jpg

i added 500ml of that to 5l of milk to allow the lacto baccilus the best chance at population over other bacteria

post-46013-0-98299400-1431596287_thumb.jpg

this is sealed in a bucket to keep it anaerobic, a one way valve is a good idea because gas can build up in the bucket and well nobody wants a giant off milk explosion do they

post-46013-0-38688300-1431596451_thumb.jpg

I keep the liquid part and stabilize it with mollases. That becomes the storable lacto serum which has 1 million uses from spraying around the house to keep smells and mould down. Unblocking drains. You can drink it for beneficial bacteria. Feed it to your pets. Prevents pm and bud rot when used as a foliar. Make bokashi bran the list goes on.

The lumpy stuff off the top i will just spread on the veggie garden.

I have secretly been brewing a dmall batch ahead of this larger batch just so i know what im doing before posting and surprisungly the split milk doesnt really smell. I was expecting a really bad off milk smell but its actually not bad at all. I guess that means it worked.

I also noticed that my tupperware containers used to have a kind of lingering smell from all the different foods that were heated up in them over the years but brewingthe lacto in them has completely removed those smells

good stuff mate

that lumpy stuff is called " whey "

& apart from the garden

i use it for an old cat that has lost accuracy when peeing in his tray & misses 

we put an old bathroom mat under his tray for this but as you can imagine 

it stinks of cat pee after every night almost so we now use 3 mat's & soak one 

each night in lacto & water then hang it to dry , smells gone 

we also use it to mop the floors with a drop or two of a nice oil that takes your fancy

Hey forget,

I remember reading about compost teas, beneficial micro brews for my own veggie patch and one thing I remember reading, was that there was very little evidence backing up foliar application of these compost teas (although your one may be a bit different?)

It seems that all the bacteria etc are present, it's jsut certain enviormental conditions that need to be met so the pm etc canot take off.

anyway cheers

I will check the ph of my lacto serum when its done but basically spraying milk on your plants will kill pm so the lacto serum being milk based should work. Especially if its acidic.

Oh and the one way valve i would say is pretty much essential on your bucket. judging by the way mine is bubbling i would have had a lid pop off by now for sure

Edited by forgetiwashere