seedlings: odd leaf development

Humm ok.. Try re potting them into premium potting mix with a little bit of perlite added.

most premium potting mix has everything a little plant needs to start its self off.

so repot.. Give A little water to settle into its new shoes and leave em for two or so day.. See how they go.

I was just going of the last photo update an one of them looked a little wilted from drying out.. I should have read thru the while thread imma tryin to catch up on every thing.. Hehe.

and I wouldn't worry about the skin peeling.

Hey TSJ, yes, you're right. The 5-in-1 should provide everything they need; at least for now. I have thoughts of feeding liquid potash just prior to flowering to boost the potassium.

They seem healthy, though not growing much. They are however bushing out, with more leaves starting to form at the nodes. To my untrained eye, it looks like they're quite indica dominant, so perhaps that accounts for the stoutness?

get rid of the soil altogether to many variables in ferts by the sounds of it. i have gone for even mix of perlite and coco. i know exactly what nutes its getting and where its getting them from. also i see you right your gunna give seasol for nutes, seasol is not a food source it is a (damn minds gone blank on the name) but its more for

stimulates root development

promotes healthy growth in all plants

enhances flowering and fruiting

increases resistance to heat, drought, frost, pests and disease

from what i can see on the bottle there is no npk values.

on the back of the seasol bottle it says for extra boost mix with powerfeed liquid plant food for a balanced source of nitrogen phospherous and potassium.

im doing a test run at the moment with 2 white widow cross big bulk clones one using my hydro store nutes and the other using this mix of seasol and power feed the tomatoe one in the red bottle from bunnings. hydro nutes need using every feed power feed every secong feed so far im doing it and seems great in veg so far. alot cheaper than hydro store nutes. 20 bucks as oppossed to almost 200 all up for hydro store nutes.

especially as a beginner mate its easier to know what is going in. if you decide repotting think about coco/perlite mix

Hi Grow For Me,

Thanks for the advice. I think the word you were looking for is tonic. As for ditching soil, Thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty comitted to learning soil as my primary method. I like the idea of growing in earth and being as organic as I can be.

Anyway....It's been a while since I provided any update. It's been uneventful and eventful, and not in good ways either.

Unfortunatly my seedlings are not showing any signs of good growth, still what I would consider to be small for their age.

In something of a good turn of events, one or two of the plants leaves began starting to turn yellow. I'd also noticed the purple stems before but wasn't too worried. Both of these prompted me to look at nutrient deficiencies even though the soil is ammended with fertiliser.  On the 18th of May I gave them both a drink with Amgrow Organix Harvest. I've used this with good success on veggies and other plants in the past so figured I might as well try it (not much to lose anyway). I used half the recommended dosage. This helped slow and eventually stop the yellowing of the leaves, but unfortunately, a few days later, fungus gnats showed up.

First an adult, and then on very close inspection of the soil, sure enough, tiny little wrigglers in the moist top layer of soil. So I've bought eco-neem from Bunnings, along with some yellow stick paper. After 4 or 5 days I've only had 3 stuck to the paper, and no more signs of wrigglers. I've let the soil dry out for 5 days.

In addition to the Harvest, I also bought a soil pH test kit and tested the soil yesterday. It came back as pH 5 which could explain some of the nutrient deficiencies. So tonight after no water for 5 days, I've given them both a drink of water with 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda in 1.7 litres of water. I've read this can help quickly raise the pH of soil, whereas Dolomite Lime can take some weeks/months. This comes at the expense of causing salt buildups as well as being unstable, meaning the pH may fall back down again. Unfortunately given they're already planted and time is getting on, I don't have the patience to wait for Dolomite lime to do its thing. However I've added some to my soil mix waiting in the shed for my next run or if these babies ever grow big enough to be repotted.

As well as the baking soda, I also put in 1/2 a teaspoon of epsom salts to help with the purple stems as that can be a sign of magnesium deficiency. It could also be caused by the fact my overnight temps drop down to about 16/17 degrees but I figured the epsom salts couldn't hurt.

Picture time:

Groups shot from 18th May

post-56251-0-70569200-1432469032_thumb.jpg

post-56251-0-09180500-1432469091_thumb.jpg

Pictures from tonight:

post-56251-0-57295000-1432469127_thumb.jpg

Stronger of the two:

post-56251-0-75835100-1432469147_thumb.jpg

Runt:

post-56251-0-64742700-1432469174_thumb.jpg

I think ya need to stop reading into things - they are stressed as it is. Stop adding things to the soil. It can take a week or two for them to recover and anything you do now - well it will take a week to see the affect. 

Altho the PH being a little low might be an issue - the normal water you have should be around 7ish and will bring it up over time with giving them a drink. 

Do you have a soil moisture tester?  

WOW!!! ^_-

Thats a loooooot of stuff to be adding to already nutrient rich medium at such a young age bra.

Like Raz said, ease up a bit. A little bit of patience and less fiddling around will pay dividends.

And, if the worst happens and they show no signs of getting better or they die then you have only lost a few weeks and gained months worth of knowledge. Then it will be time to plant up new ones and take it slower.

Either way, I wish you the best and hope they pull through. Just try and take it slow and ask questions on here before you act. Your picture quality is good so it will be easier for these egg heads on here to figure out even the most complex of issues.

:afro:

I'm going to take back what I just said after rereading the entire topic.

In my honest opinion, and your not going to like it and many will disagree, I think you should throw thos flowers in the trash and start again.

Start from fresh, with new flushed soil, PH balanced water and patience.

It has been a few weeks and you have had very very little or no progresion at all.

This is, for example, mine from the same time as yours, seedling popping 29th April, then the 6th of May and finally last friday, the 22nd of May.

gallery_56211_1478_125167.jpeg

med_gallery_56211_1478_1157490.jpg

gallery_56211_1478_1010646.jpg

I really think you should start again brother.

Hi All update time.

Firstly, responses. I think I've been pretty patient with them. Based on Matt's photos, it's obvious my plants are not doing well, and in between my updates, there's several days of doing nothing but watching them.
Obviously this is a learning experience and choosing soil has added complications, but based off lots of reading through other people's diaries and my observations, the actions I've taken have been thought out and not done in panic mode.

Yes, I added a lot of stuff to the soil, but it's obvious from the photos that there's a nute deficiency, despite the soil being fairly rich. The pH is way off hence why I used bi-carb, for lack of any proper pH up. Anecdotal evidence from other forum posts (not just Oz Stoners) is that it works, and the plants have responded somewhat. I still need to test the pH of my runoff. I've just purchased some pH test strips from the chemist which give readings from 0-14. My tap water shows to be between 6.0 and 7.0.

The epsom salts was a result of my seeing the purple stems in conjunction with the yellowing leaves, which lead me to believe there was a nute deficiency and based on extensive reading, it doesn't hurt to add it.

As for the Harvest, I've been adding it at half strength and they seem to be responding to it, albeit in a limited way. They certainly don't show any signs of nute burn.

I've not yet used the Eco-Neem. I have the pests under control, but still present in limited numbers.

I've decided to continue with this grow as I see it as a learning experience. I don't even know the sex yet. Heck, if I get two males, it's still been a worthwhile experience. I'm actually hoping for a male and female so I can get seeds from them.

As for my next grow, I'll be purchasing some Canna Terra pro medium and Canna Terra Bio vega/flores. For $70 all up, it seems worth it. The forum feedback on these products is good.

For now, I'm contiuing with my current regime of watering every 5-6 days, depending on moisture. Every second water being a feed of the Harvest. Regardless of their progress, I'm flipping the lights in another 7 days time. Yeah, the yield will be sweet FA, but I'm ok with that. The road to success is paved with failure.

Picture time:
post-56251-0-37542200-1432956396_thumb.jpg

post-56251-0-53786600-1432956420_thumb.jpg

post-56251-0-08928200-1432956442_thumb.jpg