seedlings: odd leaf development

Hey Razz0r,

I've just been reading through your grow: https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/74265-first-time-tenting-auto-northern-lights-white-widow/ which was in soil. Based on that, I need to put a heap more shit (yeah, pun intended) in to my soil and nutes.

In mine I've added:

Searles 5-in1 and potting mix 50/50

fed twice only using half strength Harvest

In yours you had:

Chicken, sheep and cow manure and you were feeding with Charlie Carp PLUS guano!

Based on that, I think I'm going to up the ferts significantly. Mine definitely seem to be starved.

You didn't happen to test your soil pH at all did you?

I think the searles site rec's are mix 3 to 1 , 5 in 1 is very strong

if going with 5 in 1 i'd dump the potting mix for coco & maybe more like

1 part 5 in 1 to 2 parts coco & some perlite

A base soil mix would be something like 1 part compost / castings ( home made is better ) 

1 part peat moss & 1 part aeration perlite / rice hulls

then add some other amendments to that , kelp meal , neem meal , crushed/powdered oyster shells

rock dust , basalt , gypsum , bio char & some shrimp meal or some sort of Crustacean meal,

but keep in mind less is more & synth ferts will kill this mix , not get the best out of it if not organic

Grow some Lucerne / alfalfa in the back yard

you can harvest leaves to make a alfalfa (tricantonal) tea

( use as green manure in compost pile & feed worm farm )

tricantonal is in abundance in alfalfa & is water soluble 

bubble for 24 to 48 hrs

look at coconut water for cytokinins , can buy off the shelf at coles

can also get cytokinins from a sprouted corn seed along with all that

a seed producers at the start of life

many ways to try & keep away from the bottles & keep your hard earned  

& produce some of the best buds go'in round , let the soil grow your plant 

She can do better than we can , when aloud to

I've just been reading through your grow: https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/74265-first-time-tenting-auto-northern-lights-white-widow/ which was in soil. Based on that, I need to put a heap more shit (yeah, pun intended) in to my soil and nutes.

Based on that, I think I'm going to up the ferts significantly. Mine definitely seem to be starved.

I'm groing in soil too. I added nothing other than extra perlite. i only started using nutes after about 10 - 12 days of growth when they had there 4th set of leaves.

Everyone is different but I honestly believe you are adding waaaaayyyyyy too much addatives and nutrients to the medium.

And if you are going for canna terra for youe next medium, just add extra perlite and thats it!

Hey Itchy and Matt,

Thanks for the replies.

Itchy, there's a lot to think about there, much that I hadn't considered before. I do like the idea of permaculture and growing organically.

Matt, I've appreciated your input, but I'm struggling to understand how you think I'm adding in too much. Based on reading other people's forum posts, particularly Razz0r's first indoor one, I'm barely adding anything, and all the signs on my plants points to them being starved. Can you explain why you think it's too much? I based my soil mix of 5-in-1 and potting mix 50/50 on an experienced grower's post on Oz Stoners (can't remember who now) and they said they had had good results from it. I also watched a lot of youtube videos on people putting together super soils for cannabis and they add a hell of a lot more. Everything from manure to sea kelp, potash to bat guano to tears of a unicorn and fairy dust.

I've only fed them twice at half strength. I just get the feeling I should be upping the ammendments and liquid ferts, but you're saying the opposite. I'm not sure what else to do other than that.

If I go with the Canna terra products, I'll keep it simple, Canna terra medium with a bit of perlite added and just use their vega and flores nutes. So far in my reading, everyone has been happy with that method.

I said what I said as it was what I think is best / what i would do. It's doesn't mean you have to do the same and thats why I said it.

I still however think there is too many things in the medium. The 5-1 is, like said before, a very stong mix to begin with and then the added nutes and stuff will only make it more rich in nutrients and not something a can plant needs. Especially during early life.

However...you are the only one who see's your plants and see's what they do and how they react so if its working for you then sweet.

:thumbsup:

Leave them in veg as long as you like. The longer you leave them, the bigger the plant and bigger the yield at teh end but don't over grow your grow space.

Depending on your space say maybe 6 weeks of veg then flip. Then you'll get an idea of whats what for next time around and you'll know whether to veg shorter or longer.

Hey Razz0r,

In mine I've added:

Searles 5-in1 and potting mix 50/50

fed twice only using half strength Harvest

In yours you had:

Chicken, sheep and cow manure and you were feeding with Charlie Carp PLUS guano!

You didn't happen to test your soil pH at all did you?

Hey dude, 

Sorry - I dont get any note unless someone quotes my posts :)

Looks like they have picked up tho from the pics.

In one post I put down the mix I use - the feeding of charliecarp was for veg - and it was only charliecarp and water mix. The guano and A+B was used for flowering when I had flipped the lighting at 4 weeks. 

Guano feed didn't start until I had chosen the females. 

The soil mix was made up of;

4 hand shovels of compost

5 hand shovels of potting mix

1/2 hand shovel of manure mix (One that had been mixed, baked, filtered etc)

1 hand shovel of seedling mix

1 hand shovel of premium soil mix

That filled maybe half a 10lt pot - so repeated until I had the amount I wanted then mixed in about 20-30% perlite and also had charcoal at the bottom to help drainage.

If time wasn't an issue I would have let that mix sit for a few weeks and added microbes to it as well. 

But for all my effort - just buying the cannaterra soil would have saved me shit load of effort and time. The out come was OK - but compared to coco - well there is no comparing lol

Out of those two trial plants one went hermi and the other started to go seedy - probly due to the hermi. So 8.5 week grow and the buds are really nothing to write home about. 

Check out my new diary here with the autos going & the harvest pics from one of the trial plants. So far the first plant I have got 24g off it and more than half of it to come. So maybe 2-2.5oz off one - more off the second plant for sure tho. 

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/75129-2-x-auto-northern-ww-cherry-puff/?p=461594

as such I am setting up for coco in the future - because you follow the feed guide and check the PH and EC and you simply dont get these issues and you get more from the plant in general then soil. 

Edited by Razz0r