Any body using leds?

Hey nibbs, Buddha says relax. I, for one, dropped out of school, science was one of my worst subjects. As for growing, seed, earth, water. Pretty sure that's the basics? Look, not out to dis you or anybody else in this community, just wanting to share, and learn, from other like minded individuals, techniques for growing cannabis. So, a couple of comments got me knickers in a twist and I responded in kind, it's simply debate. At no time has anybody stated leds are the bees knees to growing, or not that I have read anyway.

Simple fact is, hydroponic industry, not growers, are developing leds as an energy efficient form of lighting for horticultural use. Vegetable and flower farms are using these with good effect across the globe, but most still use as supplemental lighting, not primary, which was my original intention. You came bearing a gauntlet, I brought a hatchet, I leave the choice to you. Amithaba Buddha.

I grabbed an ounce of haze grown under the led's last night. First thing you notice is the size of the ounce, looks to be twice the volume of an ounce grown under hps. The buds are light, not a lot of density, but the resin content leaves your fingers sticky after light handling, the smell is very pungeant, and the haziness is still prevalent in the bud. My only complaint, the trim, think I'll buy him some scissors:-) post-50453-0-70083300-1367799592_thumb.jpgpost-50453-0-91537300-1367799654_thumb.jpgpost-50453-0-72034800-1367799693_thumb.jpg

Edited by burner

What's up Mr Nibbler? I'll take your criticism on leds, it answers my original question, but choosing not to 'hurl abuse' at people for putting up a post, in relation to the original question? Fully aware of the plant manipulation techniques that are used to increase bud sights, many a post on this sight in relation to that, not to mention articles in my High Times collection, so my knowledge on these are up to date. You are obviously the be all, end all when it comes to this issue, or that's how you are starting to come across, so I thank you for your input, Ganja Guru, and will now go and take a dump in your honor:-)

Majority of people on this site grow. Every room, every lighting set up, every substrate and every nutrient program are different. Cannabis strains also differ, it's called diversity. Continuous improvement is what has created this diversity, trial and error the path to success, through perseverance. So you have your set up down pat Nibbler, good on ya, but I'm the one growing in my room, and I will ultimately be the one who decides how and what I grow in that room.

So you don't like led's, I gather that, but all this criticism on people that are using, or considering using them? What's the go with that.

You come in with shite like this, insult me and wonder why i get pissed off? I'm here to help people grow good buds... the first time..... not massage egos for shit efforts or not listening to good advice.

Take a dump in my Honor? ...... lol ........  I been growin weed for longer than you had hair on ya testes, so compared to you, yes, I am the almighty Ganja Guru..... lol

Hey nibbs, Buddha says relax. I, for one, dropped out of school, science was one of my worst subjects. As for growing, seed, earth, water. Pretty sure that's the basics? Look, not out to dis you or anybody else in this community, just wanting to share, and learn, from other like minded individuals, techniques for growing cannabis. So, a couple of comments got me knickers in a twist and I responded in kind, it's simply debate. At no time has anybody stated leds are the bees knees to growing, or not that I have read anyway.

Simple fact is, hydroponic industry, not growers, are developing leds as an energy efficient form of lighting for horticultural use. Vegetable and flower farms are using these with good effect across the globe, but most still use as supplemental lighting, not primary, which was my original intention. You came bearing a gauntlet, I brought a hatchet, I leave the choice to you. Amithaba Buddha.

I grabbed an ounce of haze grown under the led's last night. First thing you notice is the size of the ounce, looks to be twice the volume of an ounce grown under hps. The buds are light, not a lot of density, but the resin content leaves your fingers sticky after light handling, the smell is very pungeant, and the haziness is still prevalent in the bud. My only complaint, the trim, think I'll buy him some scissors:-) attachicon.gif1367799554530.jpgattachicon.gif1367799599513.jpgattachicon.gif1367799661608.jpg

I dont carry a gauntlett, this aint 16th century france..... lol .

And yes, thats what I see every LED grow, light fluffy shit, or 4-6 good colas that were almost touching the panel.

Resin content can be increased under HPS too, by keeping temps down late in flower, is why I use cooltubes.

My buds shit on those, these are 7 weeks in...... post-38794-0-19700600-1367803664_thumb.jpg  ....... still better than the FINISHED led buds........you can see the extra punch through the canopy.

......and thats why I'm here telling ya dont waste ya time with LED's, I'll tell ya just a few reasons why......................

1) light intensity- they throw bugger all light through the canopy, meaning longer veg while ya train ya plants.

2) Coverage- Piss weak coverage means you need more panels to cover the same area.

3) Lack of Heat- While good for summer growers, smart growers don't grow inside in summer. We grow in winter and use our lights, instead of a heater (costs more to run than HPS). So what you save in power on panel..... you still end up spending on heating.

4) Light spectrums- Unless you spend 1200 bucks on a semi decent panel (and you will STILL have the above problems with correct balance) , its a waste of money.

5) Newbs lack of knowledge- Newbs dont know the difference between a high end panel and a cheapy from E-gay, so they get burned in their thousands.

6) Yield and Bud Quality- You might spend less on power, get less heat, but you get less yield and quality doesn't compare. You get out what you put in.

7) Initial outlay- Cost more for decent panels, but you get less yield..... it's a matter of economics. Weigh your costs against your yield to see if its worth it.

8) Light Emitting PLasma- Shits on LED, can be supplimented by HPS 1:1 ratio, and is newest tech available. Gavita don't do LED panels, and they are the world leaders in grow light tech. Costs $1200 bucks for a 300w one that has changable Plasma element, one for veg and one for flower, thats the cooled one, cooler even than LEDs. ProductSheet_EU_Pro300LEP_A4_v5_C_web.pdf

Theres more but thats enough for now............ something to think about anyway.

I'm not a hater, I'm a realist.......

peace. Nibbler.

• Upvote 2

And not because I'm big headed, or arrogant, or a show pony............ 

Funny because thats exactly how you come across ....

Do yourself a favour and keep out of LED threads .... at least until you use one yourself.

As I said before the expensive LED's do an excellent job, in some cases maybe not as good as HPS but I maintain the buds are usually larger, better looking and more resinous. The end result has been similar yields without the hassle of heat and a much reduced electricity bill which is the reason I bought them in the first place.

The LED bulbs themselves are excellent ...... However the heat sinks and fans don't last, they can't handle the moisture in the air and until that issue is sorted I won't buy another one.

I had my say and won't comment anymore.

lol , as your many LED grow diaries have shown us how great they are cyclops.................. another who talks and talks, no photos, nuffin............ You wanna neg rep me, and be a twat, put ya money where ya mouth is.

And just because I havent used an LED panel here, doesnt mean I havent in the past, we were playing with em 14 years ago in Holland, Gavita knew then they were shit after doing a massive amount of testing , and seen as they had the best light testing facilities in the world, I took their advice, didnt waste me money, and they never marketed them.

I also have an electronics degree, so I am more than qualified to give you this info.......

Peace. Nibbler.

Edited by The Hash Nibbler

As I said before the expensive LED's do an excellent job, in some cases maybe not as good as HPS but I maintain the buds are usually larger, better looking and more resinous

What a  load of horse shit !

If this was the case we would all know about it .

How many years exp you got under HPS ?

Larger and more resinous  :rofl:

Nibler I have the utmost respect for your ability and knowledge, however your grasp of humanity and lack of manners and consideration leaves me gob smacked. I have seen your earlier posts from the archives and your had a dry sarcastic sence of humer I found entertaining. What you have evolved to become is corse and crass. I will not be mentioning leds again as i like friendship and good will to rule my life. If you feel afronted by what I say I am sorry, but like you i have a voice I just do not raise it. I find the information on this forum nothing short of gold and do not want to denegrate it further.Some of the abuse hurled at me from the safety of your key board is unsettling, I prefere to speak face to face rather than anonamously. So I will defere from this argument and just let it slide. Regards Tangwena 

Each to his own.... Nibs and the other nay sayers are simply trying to help (usually the new guys and girls) from making a mistake first time round. If you're happy with led's then continue on :) if you're happy with your hps then happy days :)

Perhaps mods could start another subforum for led's to stop these threads from popping up time to time causing so much passion??

Cheers

Edited by nici

Perhaps mods could start another subforum for led's to stop these threads from popping up time to time causing so much passion??

Cheers

Aye, I agree. I started this topic, asking if any body is using led's. Was hoping to find comparisons to what a friend is doing, ie; honest budshots or set-ups. I did get a lot of opinions, mostly negative, but the post has not fulfilled my original intent. Therefore, for arguments sake, scratch the subby, I'll simply do one for myself, and see what happens. Hopefully, The End:-)