Greens Party Policies

Tom: Once again mate it may be the safest but its not the nearst safe port for them . they chose to come here this is no where near thier nearest safe port. Like Luke skywalker said "What Culture" . It saddens me to say i dont think us Aussies have a Culture anymore just memories of when we did have one . Edited by Cronic_la_jar_jar

pipeman:

You say you want freedom for all then in the same breath want to chuck out people who's culture does not agree with your own. That to me is a contradiction.

I'm referring to such things as genital mutilation, ritual scaring, unacceptable forms of punishment, etc, etc.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Guest Field_of_Light

I can uderstand where you all are coming from and while the diversoty of opinion is divided down two main streams you all share the right to post your own views....

In many countries around the world you are not and never will be allowed to have the right to speak freely and express your opinions....

This just happens to dominate countries where islam is dominant...sad but true

As for the people coming to australia and huddling together as ethnic communities.....you seriously have to go to london and go to the Australian and New Zealander quarter.....for some odd reason when ozzies go over to london they hang out with other ozzies getting pissed and running riot....

Look at it this way..if you were sent to iraq...there was only one english speaking person there...would you hang out with the iraqis and try and learn the language or hang with the one english speaking person that didnt make you feel so alienated........

And yes I think all immigrants should have to learn english...its a safety issue with street signs..road rules etc....and this is a predominantly english speaking country!

My point is people huddle together for safety and security and becuase they mutually reinforce that with each other...this isnt wrong! But I would like to see some of the old school attitudes and hardcore beleifs left behind so as to encourage intermixing of various ethnic groups...

Ive met people of various ethnic groups that are not allowed to date or not meant to date people outside their own cultural background........that I think is extremely sad for them and for the people that are interested in them! Its generally a view pushed on them by their families and can take generations to overcome....the love conquers all principle

:D :P

I dated an Indian girl who was meant to get married to a nice Indian boy from a good family and be a virgin when she did get married....but her heart led her elsewhere.....and no doubt her parents would know by now and their shame would be great....

Times do change and so do attitudes...it all takes time....so be patient...respect others...even when their opinions dont match your own! (and yes I find that personally very hard to do but at least I try) and try and aid the process of cultural integration - NOT ASSIMILATION

pipeman:
You say you want freedom for all then in the same breath want to chuck out people who's culture does not agree with your own. That to me is a contradiction.

I'm referring to such things as genital mutilation, ritual scaring, unacceptable forms of punishment, etc, etc.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

oh yeah, for sure. those things are basic human rights issues IMO. Nothing to do with being Australian or not.

Guest Field_of_Light

I have to say that with the war with iraq all but over......which of the detainees will go home when asked...and they will be asked because they cost the aussie taxpayer some phenominal to house, feed etc.........

does anyone really think the danger is over and that iraqis would embrace going back to iraq?

Many of the Iraqi's should now be happy to return and help rebuild their country, especially as they no longer need to fear persecution any more, hopefully our government will be efficient and organise the transport ASAP as their country needs them and we shouldn't "detain" them in Australia. :D

I truly hope you were joking there, tom.

The country is an absolute ruin... If we (just Australia, let alone the U.S.) spent as much money on rebuilding this ILLEGALLY INVADED country as we did in tearing it apart, then maybe we could consider sending them home. But the situation in the country, if anything, is more dangerous now than before Saddam was toppled! I do not condone his rule, he was an evil man and has done many, many evil things. But this is a nation of hundreds of different religious and ethnic groups, artificially thrown together by the british after the ottoman empire collapsed, most of which hate each other with a vengeance..... We just removed, with "overwhelming force", a dictator, the entire government, civil service and any semblance of law and order, and didn't have the foresight, or maybe just didn't really care, to have a police force ready to move in as soon as these cities were taken! Then the Americans have installed, of all the people that they could have chosen, a former general, who makes missles for a living, as the governor for an "indefinite" period! And all of the contracts for "rebuilding" Iraq, are only going to be offered to American companies, (the ones who donate to the Republican Party), and we can all guess who's going to get their hands on Iraq's oil, can't we? Marines surround the ministry of Oil, but leave the national museum, with the historical record of humanities first cities, our very beginnings, to be sacked and looted, thousands of years of not only Iraqi, but humanities history lost in an anarchic rage..... It makes me sick. :angry:

The refugees here, being held in detention against the universal declaration of human rights, I might add, should not be sent back to Iraq immediately, because the country is still at war, let alone the fact that the country won't be anywhere near stable, with everything going right, for at least 6 months to a year... The concept that, "oh well, the war's over, three weeks, wasn't that a long one?, and saddam's gone, why don't the bloody wingers piss off then." is abhorent, and shows no understanding of what condition we, the "Coalition of the Shitscared", have put this country and it's people in. The phrase "Compassion for your fellow man" comes to mind....

IMHO... :D

P.S. "I may not agree with what it is you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it...."

Luke Skywalker for once i agree with tom and mate you need to live in reailty mate this war has freed iraq if you like it or not and dont give me crap it should of gone through the UN. If its not clear to you that the UN dose no longer work because of how currupt it is mate you need to revise your argument a little the sooner they go home the better .

DONT BE SO BITTER BECAUSE HOWARD ,BLAIR AND BUSH were right .

The refugees are needed in their own country, these are the people that recognise the need for change and have been driven out of Iraq because of it and the true refugees will want to return to their homeland and help to lead it to a better future. Our government, as one of the illegal vandalistic invaders should provide them with whatever training and equipment is needed for them to rebuild their infrastructure and the lives of the Iraqi people.

As for the que jumpers and opportunists amongst them, their excuse has vanished.