It's gratifying to see that people are still finding their way to a better tasting butter.

Half the secret is in the washing ;)

So true Lou. 

And here I am anyway as I wanted to leave a thank you note. I have never made butter before - so first time. I followed your guide and did everything... almost... 

Being strapped I got cheese cloth to squeeze the trash - but next time I will pick up a good potato ricer coz sore fingers lol

And I didn't bother with the filtering - after the final melt in to containers tho I can see why you melt and filter. Taste is just like butter lol

After the third wash just like you said - the water was clear! :)

I used half kilo of trash - tried to clear most the stem out - was frozen fresh trim that I used as well and I ended up putting in 2 x 500g bars instead of the 750 as it just looked too watery with the amount of trim. 

I ate a little bit of it while setting up the third wash and I think I am fairly trashed off it lol will test it tomorrow on a muffin or something and see how it goes and planning for cooking as well now lol

I'll put up some pics shortly

This was the second wash from memory.... lol

post-46252-0-58549800-1441287850_thumb.jpg post-46252-0-86081700-1441287847_thumb.jpg post-46252-0-13430400-1441287843_thumb.jpg

After the third and remelted in to the containers 

post-46252-0-01284100-1441287841_thumb.jpg post-46252-0-76244700-1441287838_thumb.jpg post-46252-0-59229100-1441287835_thumb.jpg

Many thanks again lou - for the first time since I was in my teens I can't wait to bake a cake tomorrow lol

also - got a total of 676 from 1000g - the loss is due to the washing and that I didnt have the potato ricer :) will be testing tomorrow to see how strong it is

Edited by Razz0r
  • Upvote 1

also - got a total of 676 from 1000g - the loss is due to the washing and that I didnt have the potato ricer :) will be testing tomorrow to see how strong it is

I'd cry for real if I lost 300+g of butter and doubly so if it came from that last bit which can be quite literally be a huge pain to squeeze out as that's where all the best stuff is.  Even for filthy vape poo runs it's totally worth the burn so take a lesson from my cheap arse and after you can't take the pain from twisting/burning any longer bring some tongs into the equation, twist until your arms give up and then go all goku on it letting out a scream and giving it energy you never knew you had.  Do that and you'll lose barely anything at all and make some lovely cannabricks which if made of vape poo like seen in my pics will fill your house with that familiar nasty stink when cracked open lol

post-56622-0-08439400-1441314908_thumb.jpgpost-56622-0-48218500-1441314913_thumb.jpgpost-56622-0-17910700-1441314917_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'd cry for real if I lost 300+g of butter and doubly so if it came from that last bit which can be quite literally be a huge pain to squeeze out as that's where all the best stuff is.

Nah not so much from that as compared to Washin it and not really able to rinse utils in to the final mix.

for a first time I am not that worried about that loss. I got something from nothing. just gotta test it now ;)

• Upvote 2

So true Lou. 

And here I am anyway as I wanted to leave a thank you note. I have never made butter before - so first time. I followed your guide and did everything... almost... 

Being strapped I got cheese cloth to squeeze the trash - but next time I will pick up a good potato ricer coz sore fingers lol

And I didn't bother with the filtering - after the final melt in to containers tho I can see why you melt and filter. Taste is just like butter lol

After the third wash just like you said - the water was clear! :)

I used half kilo of trash - tried to clear most the stem out - was frozen fresh trim that I used as well and I ended up putting in 2 x 500g bars instead of the 750 as it just looked too watery with the amount of trim. 

I ate a little bit of it while setting up the third wash and I think I am fairly trashed off it lol will test it tomorrow on a muffin or something and see how it goes and planning for cooking as well now lol

I'll put up some pics shortly

This was the second wash from memory.... lol

attachicon.gifbudder1.jpg attachicon.gifbudder2.jpg attachicon.gifbudder3.jpg

After the third and remelted in to the containers 

attachicon.gifbudder4.jpg attachicon.gifbudder5.jpg attachicon.gifbudder6.jpg

Many thanks again lou - for the first time since I was in my teens I can't wait to bake a cake tomorrow lol

Thank Razz0r, glad to hear you found the recipe/method useful.

I'd cry for real if I lost 300+g of butter and doubly so if it came from that last bit which can be quite literally be a huge pain to squeeze out as that's where all the best stuff is.  Even for filthy vape poo runs it's totally worth the burn so take a lesson from my cheap arse and after you can't take the pain from twisting/burning any longer bring some tongs into the equation, twist until your arms give up and then go all goku on it letting out a scream and giving it energy you never knew you had.  Do that and you'll lose barely anything at all and make some lovely cannabricks which if made of vape poo like seen in my pics will fill your house with that familiar nasty stink when cracked open lol

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpg

If you spend $15 on a potato ricer at the supermarket, there is no need to suffer the pain of twisting and burning ;)

my cheap arse

If you spend $15 on a potato ricer at the supermarket, there is no need to suffer the pain of twisting and burning ;)

$15? I'm now just gonna do double batches and get burned half as often lol  In all seriousness though I gotta upgrade to a potato ricer.  I do kind of feel as though I've gone full retard for over a decade by not using one after seeing your method lol

• Upvote 1

$15? I'm now just gonna do double batches and get burned half as often lol  In all seriousness though I gotta upgrade to a potato ricer.  I do kind of feel as though I've gone full retard for over a decade by not using one after seeing your method lol

I used to don a pair of insulated rubber washing up gloves and then squeeze and twist and squeeze and twist the guts out the cheese cloth... post 50, advancing arthritis has required me to find alternative means.

15 bucks?? ones I found were 59 bucks! plastic ones were 20 but looked iffy

The potato ricer pictured in the first post cost me $15 at Woolworths, that's 3 years ago now. The pin that holds the two halves of the unit wasn't really strong enough for the pressure I was putting it under... it's had a ghetto fix though and is working fine again. 

And Razz0r, I don't bother with the final filter anymore either... with the ricer and the washing, it really isn't necessary.

I have the same one as the link jester put up.

I picked up mine from a kitchen shop for $20

MMM i wanna make butter now...

I have to go buy some coconut oil and lecithin and then I'll cook up the leaf that has collected around the place. :D