I know its been asked before, but are you all using leaves with visable trichs or actual trash leaves?( i use all the good ones for hash making)

Cheers

You can make it using all the leftovers from your garden with the exception of the roots.  Well I guess if you were growing in DWC you could collect the near worthless roots up and cook them too but yeah for the most part anything above ground is fair game but you really do only get what you put in so the better the plant material the better the end product.

Hey DailyTokin,

The use of water in the process is solely to stop the butter from burning. Its the fat molecules in the butter which absorbs the active component. So the amount of water will not alter potency. Its the quantity of butter vs green that will impact potency. For example if I heat a litre of water with an oz of kiff and 500gms of butter the resulting green butter will have a lesser potency than if I took that same litre of water with an oz of kiff and added 250gms of butter. Using less butter will give you a higher ratio of THC to butter and therefore a higher potency.

When I cook up butter, I do so overnight on a BBQ sideburner out in the backyard (the mrs can't stand the stink in the house lol ) After slowly simmering away over night the water involved has evaporated and I simple add more water again to prevent the butter from burning. At the end of the process the water gets biffed out anyway.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I know its been asked before, but are you all using leaves with visable trichs or actual trash leaves?( i use all the good ones for hash making)

Cheers

This is the method I use to produce canna-butter from trash that would otherwise have hit the compost heap.

Primarily I use the large leaf collected at harvest, but I also use the leaves that are trimmed off during growth and male plants.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Merl , lol my theory with more water, is only to fit in more trash leaves into the pot , and getting there goods absorbed into a lesser amount of butter/oil to increase the potency.

So instead of using for example, 1 ltr water, 1 ounce kief , 250 grm butter

Using 6 ltrs water, 1+kg leaves , 250 grms butter.

Edited by DailyTokin

I like your theory, BUT:

There is a term called a 'saturated solution' where only so much of a substance can be dissolved in a measure of solution. Now the 'measure of substance VS the measure of solution is different for both depending on dissolvability of the substance and the solution used. For example polystyrene is not dissolvable in water, but in petrol they melt. So the petrol has a higher dissolvability of the polystyrene over water. But again there is only so much that can be dissolved before the petrol also becomes a saturated solution.

I am unsure of the maximum quantities of butter vs canna to make it as strong as possible with out getting to the butter's maximum dissolvability, but be assured, there is a maximum.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I ended up throwing in 2 x 500g bars of butter to 500g of trash and enough water to make it soup like... made some brownies and the reports have been that its really strong and felt the next day lol - gotta love that. 

Just a pitty I am not getting the same effect 

It's probably a tolerance thing.  Lightweights tend to get destroyed by edibles while heavy users usually just get super high.  If you take note of how much butter was used and the weight of the final product you can get an estimation of how much cannabis will be in a given sample.  Lets say for you it's 10g of butter to 100g of brownie which would give the consumer around 5g of cannabis.  If that doesn't feel strong enough and you don't want to pig out you know that next time you make cannabutter that you'll need to use less butter for the same amount of plant material to make it a more concentrated mixture.  You'll work out the right ratio for your tastes eventually :)

• Upvote 2