Great post Lou. I keep coming back to this planning for the day when I have enough to make it (I usually smoke the rubbish). lol

Dunno about toast for me tho. I like my toast/bread buttered well, very well so I'll need to be careful.

Heard of a bloke making mull butter in a bathtub a few years back. Used to chuck all the crap in, fill it up with water & light a fire under it, cooking it for sereral days. Then he'd just pull out all the green stuff, add a few lbs of butter & you know the rest. Was a very popular commodity. Doubt it would have been as pure as yours tho!

Hey Mama, nice to hear from you. :D

I've seen gumby hash made in a bathtub, but never butter... geez what a mess it would make... you'd need a really cold day for the butter to solidify. let me know how it goes once you get enough scrap together. I will be doing another run shortly, might be able to streamline the process a bit.

It was an old bathtub out the back & the temp wudna been a prob, was down south. lol

I'm wondering about the slow cooker tho. Does it mess that up much with staining or taste contamination or is it just a matter of a good wash of the insert?

The ricer is a great idea....I'll get one even if it's just for mashing spuds....hate mashed potato pots!! lol

Thanks for the butter tute...worked a treat for me. I still need to refine my technique so I can recover more of the butter. I was really pleased with the end result so I made up a batch of biscuits straight away.

These were spectacular to say the least... totally wiped me out :xcited: for a good three hours then a lovely mellow stone for the next 3-4 to finish off....but best of all they worked better any pain med I am currently on or have taken in recent years

I had cooked a variation of this butter recipe a long time ago but never got anywhere near as good results as I have this time. one of the things I did struggle with was getting the water out just before running it through the sieve/coffee filter. I did mash it up but didn't seem to get much in the way of water at all.

Anyway Lou thanks for the tute :applause:  :applause:  it was never far from me during the whole process and I referred to it constantly. I did vary the quantities from your original recipe but am certainly not unhappy with the result

Good to hear the recipe worked for you Max. I ended up doing away with the coffee filter, too much butter loss for the small gain... washing the butter is quite enough. Getting the last of the water out can be difficult... you need to make sure it is cold enough before patting or you will just emulsify the butter and water.

If you are only making a small amount of butter and have given it a couple of washes, the small amount of remaining water shouldn't be an issue... unless you are planning on keeping the butter for several months or more. In that case, I'd make sure to have a fair amount of salt in the final wash... it will help prevent rancidity and will remain liquid at lower temperatures than fresh water which can make it easier to extract from the butter.

I've tried a lot of different ways to extract the butter from the plant material and quite frankly, the potato ricer shits all over any other way I have tried.

Hey Lou, clear and interesting tute, thanks for posting.  I'd never have thought to use a potato ricer and the rinsing process. 

As a new entrant to the world of canna cooking I'd like to ask a couple of questions if that's okay.  Firstly, does this work well with all the leafy material that is unsuitable for making hash, as I have been throwing all of this out?  And on my limited understanding, I have heard that shade leaves whilst very low in potency have a higher ratio of CBD, which should in theory lead to this sort of butter having very good relaxant and pain relieving effects, would you say that your experiences reflect that?

And secondly, I have been making my butter using hash in coconut oil.  This is great for managing dose rates, and I have become used to using the coconut oil for cooking, but I am going through my hash stash at a  faster rate.  Would you think that coconut oil would work okay as a replacement for butter, as I don't particularly like the taste of butter?

Firstly, does this work well with all the leafy material that is unsuitable for making hash, as I have been throwing all of this out?

Yes, I use all the trash. :)

And on my limited understanding, I have heard that shade leaves whilst very low in potency have a higher ratio of CBD, which should in theory lead to this sort of butter having very good relaxant and pain relieving effects, would you say that your experiences reflect that?

Yes, my experience does reflect your theory. :)

And secondly, I have been making my butter using hash in coconut oil.  This is great for managing dose rates, and I have become used to using the coconut oil for cooking, but I am going through my hash stash at a  faster rate.  Would you think that coconut oil would work okay as a replacement for butter, as I don't particularly like the taste of butter?

I haven't tried it with coconut oil... but it is a good carrier for cannabiniods so I expect it would work... maybe try it out with a small amount?

Happy cooking, :)