AEROGARDEN GROW

Oh I read in one of the topics this morning, apparently if you leave the plant to mature after the harvest it starts to grow male portions.

U read that here ??? I'll cut my lips off if thats true .. Ive re-veged plants etc to take cuttings,, then flowered the same gals , without ANY signs of ballbags many times over.. :wave:

... so if that is true according to 'what Ive read ' ... it mustave been strain/situation/circumstance related.. cos it sure as shit isnt normal :D

:D

Must be then, there was never any mention of this happening to other strains, it was a picture of what happened to one dude's plant. (I'd show you the thread if I could find it)

others commented to say it is how feminized seeds are produced, but if you repeat this process you end up with hermaphrodites :S

don't shoot the messenger

I need a cone.

OK , most plants , will, at late flower , produce a few 'nuts' , as a last ditch attempt to reproduce the species... i.e. its natural.

As a grower . which YOU are , ( controlling their enviroment etc ) , u must improve their chances of bud development etc , & decrease the chance of bisexuality .. genetic traits considered of course.. ( which u cant control )

Self pollinated ( seeded ) plants = feminised .. < never buy em imo :wave:

... sure , you have a much smaller chance of gettin males, but NOT guarenteed ,, but u DO have a huge chance of gettin lots of hermies ..

Its kinda a trade off... I dont buy it myself.. true fems are the way to go, & then just take cuttings :D

Regarding timing the lights in an aerogarden..

A lot of people buy a power cord with a figure 8 end on it and plug that into the light bit at the top replacing the cord that runs to the base. Then put a timer between that cord and the powerpoint.

Otherwise the plants will be without oxygen in the water for the 12 hours that the lights are off if you plug the whole device into the timer on the power point.

It's a common modification that is discussed extensively on US based grow sites. Also many US aerogarden growers use hydro nutes and reject the tablets that come with the kit, as they claim the nutes that come with it are too strong and will burn the plants and won't give good flowering.

I haven't tested any of this at home yet but have read a lot on other sites about the aerogarden.

just letting you know FYI :D good luck :wave:

thanks :D I'll keep that in mind with the nutes, but the aerogarden has a way to create a custom light cycle and the pump being on depends on what setting you have it to (I think salad greens does 24h so mad)

If I can afford it, i'll get the timer though. Already got a figure 8 cable :wave: I'm assuming I can get this from bunnings or sth?

Edited by Wakenbake

OK , most plants , will, at late flower , produce a few 'nuts' , as a last ditch attempt to reproduce the species... i.e. its natural.

As a grower . which YOU are , ( controlling their enviroment etc ) , u must improve their chances of bud development etc , & decrease the chance of bisexuality .. genetic traits considered of course.. ( which u cant control )

Self pollinated ( seeded ) plants = feminised .. < never buy em imo :wave:

... sure , you have a much smaller chance of gettin males, but NOT guarenteed ,, but u DO have a huge chance of gettin lots of hermies ..

Its kinda a trade off... I dont buy it myself.. true fems are the way to go, & then just take cuttings :D

Amazing plants aren't they?

unfortunately lowryders can't produce clones, so I'll have to find a way to harvest some bud and then possibly pollinate it after for seeds for the next batch. Is that possible if I keep a male plant isolated?

Comment 1st.

I've had an interest in the AeroGarden since 1st seeing it on TV, never gone beyond that though. I'm getting the feeling however that the idea is to throw the lighthead away and just use the base, easy base setup.

and the question.

The idea that lowryders can't be cloned I find intriguing. I'm guessing short internodal distance makes it more difficult but heck, using laminar flow or tissue culture you can pretty well raise a tree from dried weed. You sure on that?

Yeah i found out the timer definatly dosent work when just plugged in directly.....so ill do what u said and get a figure of 8 transformer and do it that way....it definatly turns the unit off, but dosent turn it on???? weird!

As for the nute that come with it they are ok if you only use half the amount, but in regards to bloomer i will definatly buy some 2 part stuff to maximise budgrowth! thanks for the tip.....i do also think that the cfls thats come with the unit are powerful enuff for initial growth but thats about it so i will just buy a couple of balasts etc...and keep the res running as u suggested, thanks for the tips guys much appreciated....

ill still keep updates of pics and progress if thts cool? :yinyang: