Vic OPP seeks and gets extension

Dont know about a individual case. But if you had proof that the media is black balling the medical cannabis issue then you would think that media watch would be the best or only way to get it out to the Australian public.

Even though they usually just make fun of journalist grammer these days.

Lucid I have given up on the media in this country being prepared to let Cannabis have a "Fair Go"

Littlbit posted a list of media she had contacted earlier in the thread.

Once we get the date for hearing they will all sit up and take notice, if we win it will be front page and the fight will be over. (although they are bound to have another crack at it just the nature of the beast)

UPDATE:.... Just received an email from registrar of HCA saying the index is finally finished and we will receive it either tomorrow or Thursday in the mail, so we will copy, bind and lodge books within 24 hours of receiving.

Thanks to all for the donations of the last few days as it has given us the money to do just that.

The Justices will read within a few days of lodgement and we should hear about a week later if we got removal.

Should all happen the same week as we move to either a new house (if one turns up) or a tent (if it does not) Camping in Victoria in July, now that is LIVING!!

Could prove interesting if we end up finishing this thing while indigent. I can just see the headline now

"2 homeless autistic stoners roll OZ drug laws."

I love the enthusiasm, but what I say may be a bit of a downer. Firstly, Media Watch is there to catch out journo's who f'up. I don't think they would be interested in talking about what is not being talked about.

Secondly, has anyone taken notice of what is happening to Bob Brown at the moment. Something like he sued Gunn's or Forestry Tasmania, because of the old growth forests or some dung beetles or something, and he lost so he has to pay heaps of money in court costs. The thing is, there was something about Howard changing the laws half way through his court case, which effected the outcome of the case?? So it went to the high court and he lost on a technicality.

Chronology

May 2008

On Friday 23 May the High Court, on a 2:1 majority, refused Senator Brown’s application for special leave to appeal the Wielangta Forest Full Court decision. The considered that the Howard-Lennon 2007 amendments to the Regional Forest Agreement meant that an appeal would have insufficient prospects of success.

As a result, Wielangta Forest can be logged and only the Commonwealth and the State of Tasmania have the power to enforce the Regional Forest Agreement through the Prime Minister and the Tasmanian Premier. It remains the case that the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 has never been tested in the High Court.

The High Court did not issue a costs order, meaning that each side bears its own costs for the special leave application. However, Senator Brown will have to pay Forestry Tasmania’s costs for its successful Full Court appeal.

30 May 2005

Senator Brown applies to the Federal Court for an injunction to prevent logging in two Wielangta coupes to protect the Wielangta Stag Beetle

June 2005

Injunction refused (logging began in coupe 17E at 4 am the following morning) but Forestry Tasmania agreed to defer other logging until after the court case

August 2005

Federal and state government apply to intervene in the case in support of Forestry Tasmania

December 2005

Trial begins (followed by 33 days of hearings finishing in May 2006)

August 2006

Final submissions

December 2006

Justice Marshall rules the logging illegal because of the impact on endangered species and orders that no forestry operations be undertaken in Wielangta unless the court permits

February 2007

Forestry Tasmania appeals to the Full Federal Court against virtually the entirety of the trial judgment. The state and federal governments again intervene to support Forestry Tasmania

February 2007

The Tasmanian RFA is amended by agreement between Prime Minister Howard and Premier Lennon in response to the Wielangta decision. In particular, cl 68 in which the state agreed to protect endangered species is re-written

August 2007

Full Federal Court appeal hearing (five days before three judges)

November 2007

Full Court judgment overturns the trial decision saying that RFAs give no guarantee that the environment including endangered species would not ‘suffer’ as a result of logging. Moratorium on logging in Wielangta removed.

January 2008

Senator Brown applies to the High Court for special leave to appeal

February 2008

High Court submissions lodged

http://www.on-trial.info/resources.htm

I suppose what I am getting at is, is there any way that they can change the rules of the game while you are part way through your ordeal?? Not putting down you efforts at all, it is just this Bob Brown thing has been in the papers the last couple of days down here, so it got me thinking.....

???

The Greens are really in the shits atm. Another group of them are being sued for stopping logging as well.

Hopefully they get a few million sympathy votes :yinyang:

Also I don't think they will change the law in this case....

Who knows really, nothing to worry about as it hasn't happened yet.

Could prove interesting if we end up finishing this thing while indigent. I can just see the headline now

"2 homeless autistic stoners roll OZ drug laws."

Now THAT would be awesome lol

Edited by luciddreaming

To be blunt

Not to my knowledge, the chances of them changing either the treaty or the constitution are fairly slim in the time our case will take. And that is really the only law that counts of course unless they make cannabis legal and authorise supply for medical, cultural and religious use for adults. then they might beat our case in court..... not.

/But then that would be a win anyway and costs cannot be awarded against us on criminal case in high court and disability pensioners..... so not really a concern.

Ok all update

Today friday 19 June the application books were copied bound and lodged at the HCA <_<

The registrar was quite happy with the docs and has accepted them for lodgement.

They will hit the court in Canberra on Monday and we will hear the result some time(unknown) in the future, according to the reg. it might be a week it might be a month, up to the Justices.

Here is hoping it all happens fast for all our sakes.