Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

Yea, for breakthrough pain, I need something to just whack it, hence the opiate. Between that and the green I can keep comfortable. Sure, occasionally I need a bigger whacker and I have them too, but they really whack me hard and I simply can't function. Too much of that and I go a cross between bit stir crazy and a bit drugfucked. So I 'try' (not always successfully) to manage with a smaller opiate and green. And the green gives me an appetite too, another bonus.

I know, for me, I can easily become addicted. I have before. My body gets to like the drugs too much and starts giving me phantom pain wanting more drugs. I 'up' the drugs and 'up' the drugs some more, but so does the pain. Then I end up in an ever decreasing spiral of pain and meds. I know, for me, I have to manage it all carefully 'cos I've been down that dark hole before. Never again. Green helps me in the management of it all. It's a real balancing act though and not a simple case of swapping one for the other as some people think.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Ya same here Merl1n, It sure is a balancing act I just get pissed off when I have to take more of the ordine-10 to get on top of the break through pain an yes that black hole is never to far away so I keep thing well under control as well.

I remember you saying how much the morphine messes with you when you where in hospital having test quite a few year's back.

Regards,Dingo-2008.

Edited by Dingo-2008

Yea, the morphine caused a reaction when they adminisitered it post surgery for pain control and I flipped out. But I don't seem to have such a reaction to other opiates, go figure.

I've had morphine previously without an issue, so I was a bit shocked when nursey came to me the day after telling me what had occurred. My response "I did not, I wouldn't do THAT..." But it turns out I did. DOH

No more morphine for me.

Yea that balancing act can be a really fine line. I can balance OK today, but have me a shit day tomorrow. Hell, I can be OK in the morning but chronic bad in the arvo. I never can tell and 'Pissed off' doesn't even come close to explaining it all. Trying to plan my day around it all is near on impossible, I have peaks and troughs of symptoms and find that the canna reduces the heights of the peaks and the depth of the troughs to make the day bearable (sometimes). All of this can mess with the mind something horrible 'Ohh don't worry, it's all in your head...' "Yea, right. Tell me the bloody obvious, why don't ya?" As if I didn't know that already.

Pain managements is such fun. NOT. But some people, honestly, have no clue. GGrrrrrrrrrr

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Hi all,Just a quick update on the progress with my medical cannabis approval.

I had my appointment with my medical cannabis access clinic yesterday an was told that my full approval had gone through an will be contacted by the pharmacy  so I can pay for my med's an have them sent to me by mail.

The doctor said that is was the quickest approval he has ever done just on a weeks turn around from start to finish.

Don't know if it was because of the few illness I have.

1/chronic migraines.

2/chronic lower back pain.

3/Prolapse disc at L3/4  L5   & S1.

4/Glaucoma in both eye's

5/Neurogenic pain.

6/Rheumatoid Arthritis.

7/Seronegative Arthritis.

8/Left Sciatica.

9/Lumber  disc degeneration multi level.

10/Left hip osteoarthritis.

Ah shit I think that is enough for now, ya know all this kindda shit could make a bloke Depressed.

So I am really hopping that this medical cannabis help me.

Any way that's enough of my dribble for now.

I will do a update when I receive my medication.

All the best to you all,Stay safe an stay stoned.

Regards,Dingo-2008.

• Upvote 2

Bloody hell, that was quick. Well, a hell of a lot quicker than the bullshit I went through. Must have their processes a bit more sorted now.

A lot of my wait was government bureaucracy, TGA etc and I doubt the government bullshit would have improved lol

I believe that once you can show you've tried conventional pharma meds, with varying results, canna can be an option. With multiple conditions there's often multiple treatments, many of which overlap and if they haven't helped then a trial on canna can't hurt.

Dingo I have to say here, when you've been put through the medical meat grinder it does get to you. It certainly has with me (I get a bit anti drs at times). And when you sit down and write it all out like that it gets to that point of 'OMG, why even bother? Just send me out to the knackery yard...'. I've often said "If you kept an animal alive in this state of health, you'd be charged with animal cruelty. But a person... ...ohh that's different". There's something VERY wrong about that.

Just remember Dingo as bad as things are for us both, there's still some poor bastard out there going through worse.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I agree with you Merl1n that is one of the things that keeps me going knowing there is always some poor bugger pain than I am.

It only took the TGA 2 days an I had my approval,The nures at the cannabis access clinic rang me to let me know it had been approved.

i am quite sure they told me that the cost of my THC & CBD  oil would cost me $125.00 for the 25ml bottle plus postage.So that's not to bad hey,But then again I could be wrong an just talking outta my asshole :doh: lol

They ain't getting this old fart at the knackery just yet I still got a few  :bounce:  :bounce: bounces left in me yet.lol

Stay safe all you oz crew.

Regards,Dingo-2008.

Edited by Dingo-2008
  • Upvote 1

So, the delivery has been received. 3 bottles of Penrose oil.

post-24238-0-49475100-1587360034_thumb.jpgpost-24238-0-64624600-1587360093_thumb.jpg

And then on the paperwork (MSDS) provided it states:

Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following: Drowsiness, Dizziness, Fatigue, Dry mouth, dry eyes, increased appetite, difficulty concentrating and memory impairment. lol

I'll only be telling if I don't have ALL of these lol lol lol

Let the experimental phase begin

• Upvote 3