Organic, pro-biotic and organic growing without bottled nutrients

that's cool too , not always a castings problem ,

only a problem with casting when to much is used

always a good thing if you can avoid transplanting plants / germinating in the pot they'll finish in

Would this rule apply with autos you think itchy ?

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/blog/553/entry-751-all-things-femme-spray-cs-glog/

Yes to be honest thats all I used to do when I first started and didn't know any better, it seemed to work well eventually but slow to grow at first.

I think I have a bad Pythium problem here after some more research. Now I'm worried my soil is contaminated because I chucked heaps back in there and haven't been washing my tools. Or am I just paranoid?

Yes to be honest thats all I used to do when I first started and didn't know any better, it seemed to work well eventually but slow to grow at first.

I think I have a bad Pythium problem here after some more research. Now I'm worried my soil is contaminated because I chucked heaps back in there and haven't been washing my tools. Or am I just paranoid?

hey itw

i've always gone with trying to out compete bad biology 

by using compost teas , cos we know the good guys/biology in normal conditions win 100% of the time 

i will make a compost tea & at the end of brewing add EM-1 ( anarobes ) & bombard the pot or plot with beneficial's 

also using cover crop seed mix because of the biology they bring to the soil , no plant will attract bad microbes 

& the good microbes will want to protect there food source 

of cause once conditions change from , lets say , over watering the good guys struggle to defend & the bad take over 

If you start with a quality soil mix that is teeming with life you should not ever have to worry about pathogenic fungi and other disease. As Itchy said, aerobic soil microbes out-compete anaerobic, disease causing organisms in an oxygen rich soil with plenty of carbon/organic matter. So focus on good microbes by starting with good living organic soil and/or introducing the highest quality worm castings and compost via topdressing or blended in to your soil mix. Mulch well. As Itchy said, cover crops will also encoirage good microbes, make sure you plant aas wide a diversity of covercrops as possible: vetch, clover, lucerne, rygrass, mustard etc as they will bring a huge diverse range of sugars to feed the soil food web. They will die off under the canopy and become mulch, adding to the organic matter and becoming microbe food. Compost tea is great but without a microscope and skills to use one it can be a guessing game. When making compost tea your starting material needs to be of the highest quality possible.

If you start with a quality soil mix that is teeming with life you should not ever have to worry about pathogenic fungi and other disease. As Itchy said, aerobic soil microbes out-compete anaerobic, disease causing organisms in an oxygen rich soil with plenty of carbon/organic matter. So focus on good microbes by starting with good living organic soil and/or introducing the highest quality worm castings and compost via topdressing or blended in to your soil mix. Mulch well. As Itchy said, cover crops will also encoirage good microbes, make sure you plant aas wide a diversity of covercrops as possible: vetch, clover, lucerne, rygrass, mustard etc as they will bring a huge diverse range of sugars to feed the soil food web. They will die off under the canopy and become mulch, adding to the organic matter and becoming microbe food. Compost tea is great but without a microscope and skills to use one it can be a guessing game. When making compost tea your starting material needs to be of the highest quality possible.

def agree compost teas are a bit of a guessing game without a microscope & the ability to identify the microbes 

• Upvote 1

just to add to my last statement 

your starting castings or compost will determine what you brew in a tea 

that starting compost makes it no diff to top dressing 

using bad starting material/compost for both teas & top dress will give a less than desirable out come

to a more or lesser extent 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Well I have good news thanks guys, my clone is recovering rapidly since putting it in my worm casting and compost mixed with a little perlite I had left and some propagating sand.

I was worried the compost wasn't ready but thought I had nothing to lose so what the hell. Then it drooped for about 12 hrs and I was scared to water the gooey sticky mess I put it in with its tiny stub roots. It's in a half cut down up n go drink box and she took off today after putting it in a plastic plate with aloe freshly squeezed and tap water. Soaked it up from bottom. About 10g of water went in. I really had lost hope in it but it looks better than ever now.

I'm amazed how fast it improved. I think I was concentrating too much on getting the seedling mix sterile and light and fluffy mix of expensive stuff when all I needed to do was put it in this sticky muddy sand with a dry crust on top that gets moist quick enough from the bottom without compacting the top. And I just grabbed random handfuls from my worm bin and compost. Still amazed it worked even though it just didn't seem right compared to what I'd been focused on.

Well I have good news thanks guys, my clone is recovering rapidly since putting it in my worm casting and compost mixed with a little perlite I had left and some propagating sand.

I was worried the compost wasn't ready but thought I had nothing to lose so what the hell. Then it drooped for about 12 hrs and I was scared to water the gooey sticky mess I put it in with its tiny stub roots. It's in a half cut down up n go drink box and she took off today after putting it in a plastic plate with aloe freshly squeezed and tap water. Soaked it up from bottom. About 10g of water went in. I really had lost hope in it but it looks better than ever now.

I'm amazed how fast it improved. I think I was concentrating too much on getting the seedling mix sterile and light and fluffy mix of expensive stuff when all I needed to do was put it in this sticky muddy sand with a dry crust on top that gets moist quick enough from the bottom without compacting the top. And I just grabbed random handfuls from my worm bin and compost. Still amazed it worked even though it just didn't seem right compared to what I'd been focused on.

Any pics ?