Help please, new plants have taken a turn...

Ive just sent a PM to midlifegardener for his input on the medium and he uses it according to micmac

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Onto my 4th grow with pure coco. I'm no Dr Green thumb and that's why I buy canna coco bags only. For me it just removes one point where I can stuff up. Don't worry about the ppm meter now. Put 1ml of A solution using a dropper into 2 litres of water and that's a good start.

But biggest issue I found for me is overwatering at that stage of life. Just water around in a small circle and that's it. Every second day water it.

MLG

• Upvote 1

Onto my 4th grow with pure coco. I'm no Dr Green thumb and that's why I buy canna coco bags only. For me it just removes one point where I can stuff up. Don't worry about the ppm meter now. Put 1ml of A solution using a dropper into 2 litres of water and that's a good start.

But biggest issue I found for me is overwatering at that stage of life. Just water around in a small circle and that's it. Every second day water it.

MLG

Looks like i can this lot and will try with bag stuff. I would consider ur advice SE but I already have the coco neuts so will stick with it for this run. Ill order some of the perlite coco mix. Thanks everyone for ur info, fingers crossed when u all hear from me again it will be more positive :-)

When I started coco wasn't even on the scene ,I stopped for a number of years and started again ,then Coco and coco nutes were in all the shops ,.

What happened was these guys figured they could market the fuck out of coco and make big bucks from a very cheap product.

And so they did and so they made and make big bucks selling the shit as a hydro medium that is mediocre .

But it often comes in pretty bags and all the shops stock it so it must be good huh.,,,,Nooooo.

Do you notice all the conflicting advice around coco ,? thats cos it's not a great medium to begin with,so of course people will have problems.

If it was so good it'd be as simple as watering your plants and they grow without all the probs you read about here ,,but the reality of coco is that it comes with problems.

Perlite and vermiculite ,and you've got a happy rootzone ,,Just water and forget.

So simple.

SE, I'm interested in this. What's your reasoning for sticking with your mix and in what ratios do you use it?

What issues compared to coco does it avoid? Can I use coco nutes with the mix?

MLG

I use H&G MLG, coco a+b

The problem when ppl talk about coco they’re not always talking about the same thing

A good pre buffered coco is essential,1 that’s meant for hydroponic grows, not coco that is meant for a garden supplement ie the bricks u buy at Bunnings,the texture is totally different, the perlite is used to give aeration and help with root growth

Coco specific nutes r also handy,

Using the kiss method is great but it still takes preparation, the right medium for the nutrients u r going to use should be taken into consideration

Coco is really easy medium if u prepare properly, have the right equipment n don’t get lazy,

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1

Great micmac, someone else :) yeah, I agree it's not hard but not easy either. Can't be lazy with pH and check ppm. I've never flush the canna coco bags I buy. I'm giving calmag on every feed, just a little, to be sure.

When looking at hydro charts though, I always wonder why 5.8 is considered the target pH. Seems a lot more would be available at 6+ but I'll follow the directions still.

Do you use perlite in yours and if so what ratio? Do you up the ppm as perlite won't hold anything whereas coco will?

MLG

SE, I'm interested in this. What's your reasoning for sticking with your mix and in what ratios do you use it?

What issues compared to coco does it avoid? Can I use coco nutes with the mix?

MLG

All the issues I see with coco are avoided ,,,,,

If you water twice a day or even once a day you can use strait perlite ,,I did for thirteen years ,

But now I add around 30 percent vermiculite cos I get lazy and often let them go without a drink ..the vermiculite holds lots of water but on its own has no aeration..

On the other hand perlite has excellent aeration,,doesn't hold much water but it does hold sufficient water if using on its own and watering regularly.

It's simple set and forget,,,,no having to learn the "ART " of using it ,

Gives the brain time to think about other stuff.lol

All in all an effective simple and versatile medium.

Never used Coco nutes with P& V so don't know ,,

By the way I'm potting today .lol.

• Upvote 1

Small fluctuations MLG is a good thing feeding at different ph levels ,in my setup this occurs naturally, by this I mean when the plants r feeding the EC level in the res will decrease over a few days , as this occurs the ph rises

By the time the res has been absorbed n needs to topped up the Ph has risen to 6.2 , giving the plants access to nutrients available at a higher ph

The problem with my set up if I used straight perlite and the pump broke down while I was away or when drained the plants would dry out n die if not found in time, so the coco also gives me a bit of leeway regarding this

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners