Carbons No-Till Try Out

Gee, got a million updates to do here, and I will.

I kind of agree with dng on the comment above, would there be a bit extra available once the chopped decomposes?

I'm playing with aeration as im unhappy with one batch.

Got some rice hulls for the first time and should have enough for a new 60l batch and amend the heavy soil.

The plants grow well in this mix but drainage is down so gotta be careful watering, I think the casting content is too high and then I cut the soil with peat and didn't bring up the aeration.

There's a pot or 2 that are gonna get maximum till!

No till-no way!!! lol!!

Anyway, here's a pic of how rice hulls come, not mailed, bought in person. I must be getting old cos I reckon this packaging is OTT.

Must be for ease of stacking or something.

I live in the countryside, no bin collections here so I am acutely aware of the waste I create.

This cardboard and bag will be reused but ya know, they sell soil in bags only.

Also, everybody seems to be using the word "artisan" with soils at the moment, Small batch mixed by hand by a qualified person is close to the definition.

What would you call something that is smaller batch than commercial with the inputs coming from a closed loop?

More artisan?

post-59840-0-36734600-1548889199_thumb.jpg

Gee, got a million updates to do here, and I will.

I kind of agree with dng on the comment above, would there be a bit extra available once the chopped decomposes?

I'm playing with aeration as im unhappy with one batch.

Got some rice hulls for the first time and should have enough for a new 60l batch and amend the heavy soil.

The plants grow well in this mix but drainage is down so gotta be careful watering, I think the casting content is too high and then I cut the soil with peat and didn't bring up the aeration.

There's a pot or 2 that are gonna get maximum till!

No till-no way!!! lol!!

Anyway, here's a pic of how rice hulls come, not mailed, bought in person. I must be getting old cos I reckon this packaging is OTT.

Must be for ease of stacking or something.

I live in the countryside, no bin collections here so I am acutely aware of the waste I create.

This cardboard and bag will be reused but ya know, they sell soil in bags only.

Also, everybody seems to be using the word "artisan" with soils at the moment, Small batch mixed by hand by a qualified person is close to the definition.

What would you call something that is smaller batch than commercial with the inputs coming from a closed loop?

More artisan?

Sounds like you're going to do well. I've always used scoria, both for my own garden and in our small batch commercial blends as it doesn't break down and provides aeration for a very long time. Rice hulls do decompose, however I love the idea of providing silica as they are decomposed by microbes. Cover crops for purpose of building soil should be given time to compost when chopped down, this however only applies if no commercial compost was used as well. With our soil for example, covercrops are grown for both green manure and sugars that are exuded from roots as well as nitrogen fixing and physical soil structure building properties. The soil already has everything in a balanced state so we aren't relying on covercrops to build soil fertility... If that makes sense.

Yeah I understand mate.

Wasn't having a go either, I'm very happy that companies like yours are out there.

Could you rebuild enough with covercrops instead of re amending up to a point do you think?

I use Scoria 99% of the time and will probably blend with scoria.

Any idea how long the hulls take to break down?

Yeah I understand mate.

Wasn't having a go either, I'm very happy that companies like yours are out there.

Could you rebuild enough with covercrops instead of re amending up to a point do you think?

I use Scoria 99% of the time and will probably blend with scoria.

Any idea how long the hulls take to break down?

All good, thanks for kind words... No till farmers use covercrops to build soil for sure and I think in larger beds you could do this too. In smaller containers you need to use amendments as well. Compost is a fast track way to soil fertility without the need to turn your covercrop into humus first. No idea how long the Rice hulls take sorry, I haven't used them before.